Internet sharing help

Hey guys, searched the last 10 pages, and also ran a search, didnt get the answer, so starting a new thread, dont hammer me :no:

case: My net is from local cablewallah, which is through LAN connection, have 2 comps at home both running win xp sp2. I want to know what is the cheapest way I can share net between these two comps? The distance between these two comps is hardly 12-15meters, also whats the minimum that I should shell out if I wanna setup a wireless network?
Also, is it possible for the cablewallah to block sharing a single connection like this? If so, is there any work around? coz, the cablewallah has his own cyber cafe and each of the comps there need to connect to the net independently..

why would I need 2 lan cards on each pc, 2 is needed only on the comp connected to net right?
also wanna know if there is anyway the local cablewallah can not allow such sharing? I dont wanna ask him directly, if there is anything that can be done by myself, I would rather do it without his knowledge ;)

How to configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP

Here you go this should start you off. Everything you need to know is in there.

To answer your other Questions. AFAIK the ISP cannot block this kind of sharing.

You will need 2 NICs on the machine that connects to the net (one for net, one for other machine) - 1 NIC on the client and a crossover cable .

Forget the Wireless unless the "other machine" is a notebook, then it does tend to get useful else its a total waste of money.

Me needs fresh help, I have hooked up my (relatively) new comp, I plug in the LAN wire, have configured the net using make new connection wizard, all settings/properties are same as on old comp, but I get error 691 unauthorized username/password error need help asap, anything I might have overlooked?

using a switch yes, but I was just wondering if the advent of true bband has brought down the cost of wireless options, coz am clueless about wireless things :p

biatch help with this stoopid net :p no cable modem nothing, just lan card, I am very sure the username password is not wrong, then why 691? :( hope am not trying to log into the wrong server, but the settings are same on both comps :(

go back to original settings and see if the prob goes. if it goes, try again. maybe u screwed up at some step.

there are no original settings, its like trying to setup me net on a completely new pc(well, its completely new, sort of :p).. this crap is driving me up the wall :(

It's very simple, use a lan cable, in my system an ordinary lan cable works, most modern network cards don't need a crossover cable. That will cost you zero rupees if you have a lan cable lying around. However since the internet lan cable is already connected to your system you will need one system to have 2 ethernet connections. Some motherboards any ways come with 2 ethernet connections.

Or get a cheap wifi router and connect to your 2 systems. That will cost 1600-1800 bucks. Later if you want wifi you can get wifi cards for the PCs and set it up or use a laptop with wifi.

forget switch dude, now here is the issue in detail again

1) Net is via LAN, no modem etc

2) stand alone system is connected to ISP just by LAN

3) with old standalone system, I am able to connect to net

4) If I hook the cable frm ISP to new standalone system, with the same settings I am not able to log in, it says 691, since I know for sure the username and password is right I wanna know if I have missed setting some other thing?

5) once I am able to connect to the net using the new standalone system(after sorting the 691) will mostly get a switch and share net between new and old systems..
Now ppl help soon.. :)

Back