INTEL's Haswell & Broadwell processors and packages detailed

RoBoGhOsT

Perambulating
Skilled
Fresh details have leaked out further detailing INTEL's upcoming Haswell architecture based processors. It seems Intel is ready to confuse consumers to hell (to an all new level) by offering 9 different types of CPUs across 4 different packages. They cover a wide range of TDPs and other CPU core configurations. TDP range from 84W to about 10W only. And this trend will continue with Broadwell.
Intel Core i 4000 series Haswell processors

Intel's primary aim with Haswell is to up the ante in the integrated graphics scene. In addition, Intel is aiming to hit a new level of low TDP with their Haswell processors. Intel wanted to make CPUs with ~10W TDPs and although they seem to have achieved it with Ivy Bridge already, Haswell will bring host of improvements and much lower idle power consumption and other low power states as well. The leaked chart should tell you more.

The top dog will be the Haswell-DT 2M-GT2 which will pack 4 cores with Hyper Threading and Turbo, 8 MB of L3 Cache and TDPs ranging from 35W to 84W. The saddest part is that it will only pack GT2 level graphics. Intel is saving GT3 only for the BGA packaging desktop CPU which is the Haswell-H 2M-GT3. So Intel will not allow users to mix flexibility with graphics performance. Always a compromise. GT3 will also be available in ultrabooks with just 15W or 13.5W TDP. However the number of cores is halved to 2 and so is the L3 Cache to just 4 MB.

The launch for desktop processors will happen late Q2 2013. The latest leak says June 2, 2013.

Source, Source 2, Source 3, Source 4 & Source 5
Intel Core i 5000 series Broadwell processors

In addition to the leak in details for Intel's Haswell processors, fresh details on the 14 nm manufacturing process based Broadwell processors also got leaked. It seems that Broadwell might still have at least one iteration running on Intel's new LGA 1150 socket (yet to be introduced).

Broadwell will bring something that we have been waiting for a really long time. Making quad core CPU a standard will finally happen in 2014. Intel will offer quad cores only for desktops and notebooks. Dual core models will only exist in a small ~15W TDP for ultrabooks and ~10W TDP for ultrabooks as well as convertibles.
Haswell will have integrated Voltage Regulator

Intel will reportedly put a Voltage Regulator into the Haswell die. This is believed to help in power consumption. Haswell, in addition to improved performance (graphics and cpu) and lower power consumption will use the VRM as another step to improve granularity of the power supplied to cpus. This would further drive down power consumption, without any compromise in performance.

Source
Ivy Bridge for Tablets at 13W

Intel hasn't stopped driving new Ivy Bridge horses off it's stables. The latest one is the 13W TDP packing Ivy Bridge Core i7 3689Y. Part of the Y series (lowest power consumption), the Core i7 3689Y will be used in Windows 8 running slates. 13W is a lot for a slate granted, so this will really go into the convertibles.

The Core i7 3689Y packs:
  • Dual Core Ivy Bridge (two threads)
  • 1.5 GHz base clock
  • 2.6 GHz single core Turbo, 2.4 GHz dual core Turbo
  • Intel HD 4000 Graphics
  • HD 4000 @ 350 MHz base clock, 860 MHz Turbo
  • 4 MB of L3 Cache
  • 13W TDP
  • 7W SDP (Standard Dissipation Power)

There is also another Ivy Bridge CPU for tablets, but this one is a Core i5 part. Introducing the younger brother, Core i5 3489Y.

The Core i5 3489Y packs:
  • Dual Core Ivy Bridge (two threads)
  • 1.5 GHz base clock
  • 2.3 GHz single core Turbo, 2.1 GHz dual core Turbo
  • Intel HD 4000 Graphics
  • HD 4000 @ 350 MHz base clock, 860 MHz Turbo
  • 3 MB of L3 Cache
  • 13W TDP
  • 7W SDP (Standard Dissipation Power)

Haswell based Intel Core Y series processors won't be coming anytime soon, not until Q3 2013 at least.

Source
Haswell Y Series details

The Haswell Y series Core parts will come around Q3 2013. Having said that, these parts will further improve on what Ivy Bridge started. Thanks to the BGA packaging, Haswell Y series can bring down the TDP to as low as 11.5W only. SDP will be at 7.5W, which is 0.5W more than Ivy Bridge. There are a number of reasons for that, namely faster core and faster GPU unit as well as more integrated on-die components than previous generation (Ivy Bridge). And despite all this and being manufactured in the same (but matured) 22 nm process, these improvements are quite significant.

Source

Back