PC Peripherals Identify culprit : HDD / Mobo / Sata Cable !

rajshah

Skilled
My system runs 24x7.

I had a Hitachi 160 gb Sata drive.
It started giving detection problems...

Got a new Seagate 500gb one...

The system just hangs... and i have to restart.
After restart.. " Disk boot failure "
The pc comes on if i allow it to cool down a little.

Problem persists with both the old and the new drives.
Tried with running only one drive at a time.. still persists.

HDD's shouldn't be a problem cause both are behaving the same way !

What could be the issue ?

HDD heating up a lot ?
Mobo issue - Sata ports gone bad ?
Sata cable at fault ?
Something else ?

Get a fan infront of the HDD's check if the cables are plugged in properly into the motherboard. Try using this tool HDD health and check the health of your hard disk also try changing the cables.

Sounds like either ur system is cooking from the inside or ur PSU is faulty and dying. Chk the temps of the cpu,mobo,hdds and the gpu using Lavalys Everest.If its not an overheating or PSU failure issue then it could be the sata port or the sata cable......Have u tried the hdds on another sata port or sata cable yet? Also try a diff power cable....

Don't think it's a problem with the SATA data cables. Both data cables won't give the same problem. Mobo issue...well the drives are working normally when they are working right?

Looks like a sudden stoppage of power to the drives is what is causing the system to freeze. Looks like the PSU is unable to provide continuous power after a while. Could be some component in the PSU has gone bad.

Your best chance to isolate the issue is to get/buy some el cheapo PSU and verifying to see if all is well.

broar94 said:
How do you power your 160GB HDD? the sata power connector or the regular molex connector???

^ Sata Power Connector.

I have detached the 160gb hdd for the time being.
Swapped cables.

Running the 500gb hdd since last night.. no issues yet.

Also running HDTune... max temp reached uptil now is 44 degrees.. is that ok ?

Back