Android I bought the new... Sony Xperia Z1

comp@ddict

Skilled
And I'm loving it. Updating to latest software as we speak. Things I'd like to point out:

• The device is light. Don't know why the reviewers see the delta in weight between the Z1 and the GS4 and deem the device as heavy.
  • Despite the large size, I find it very comfortable to use (reach all corners of the screen). In fact, I'm having a better time with this than my previous phone, the HTC One.
  • The camera clicks very powerful images.
  • Screen is great, the contrast is high, but viewing angles could have been better. That's my only complaint, but it won't make or break a user experience.
Anybody else with the Xperia Z1?
Got it for Rs. 40,414 from HS18. Got it delivered in 5 days.

I got it too on the day of the launch with the DSC-QX10. Unfortunately, as much as I love the screen and camera, I do have to criticize their design philosophy. It looks great but it just has too much bezel on the front(top and bottom) to be considered a phone of 2013. Someone has posted a pic in the Sony rant thread and the Note 3 is just a little bigger than the Z1.

Am watching it closely mostly because of the camera. But its still have a few rough edges. Supposed to have a camera update a in a few weeks. Course all the reviews are with pre-produciton, older firmware, superior auto and once done the reviewers move on to something else. Gauging the pciture quality is difficult, in some it looks good ie low light, in others more grainy, but this is only when you zoom in. At normal resolution it looks different not necessarily better or worse. But you expect more with a 20Mp sensor, sony still over compresses the images i feel, just like with the Z. Camera section of the engadget review has some useful tips.

Preetam, there is a difference in weight between 170gm & 130gm. A 30% difference. Playing with different phones i could spot a 10% difference and this is with those security cables attached. Add a case and you bump that up another 20gm still. That's a heavy phone.

For less grainy photos the tips are
- manual set iso to 50
- turn of image stabilsation

Superior auto isn't always the best. As some people have found. Also try with an app called camera360 and see whether it makes a difference. Bit of a odd thing to do when the camera software is supposed to be the best thing about this camera.

What about sound ? louder than the Z because of bigger speakers but damn the speaker placement gets in the way when you hold it in landscape.

How well does the phone speaker work when other people are talking, can you hear the other party ok. What about outdoors screen legibility. Any phones you can compare with here better or worse.

Can people post screen on times, want to see if the battery is as disappointing as gsmarena made it out to be. Mention whether stamina mode was on or not.

Does anybody with a Z feel compelled to upgrade to a Z1 ?

Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase. Please keep updating the thread with your experience with regards to battery life/heating/performance.

Yes, but let's wait for him to confirm it. I have a doubt he wants to own a Z1 again.

In 24 hours he went from loving it to the opposite going by what he said elsewhere.

He has been pining for Z1 for a few months now, so it was a surprise to see such a quick reversal.

Last edited:
I tried the phone couple of days back at sony's. Man, such an awesome device. I checked the interface, camera and few apps. Interface is not laggy at all. Just when we open the camera and then check the images previously shot, it gives a few microsec's lag ... It doesn't matter to most people I guess, but it is noticeable. But other than that, great camera , great device! I even had the trail to use it with the outer lens and it was pure awesome. I was getting a deal for both phone+lens for 57500. Though I'm waiting for Nexus 5 to launch ;)

Camera was performing admirably and at the same time, captured pathetic images one in three shots. The moment the flash went on, the noise and graininess in the pics sky rocketed.
Also, the device would randomly die (sleep death), and a hard reboot would take 4-5 minutes. Auto-brightness DOESN'T WORK, it just doesn't at all. The screen is pathetic, nearly as bad as the one on the Xperia Z. Compared to the Xperia Z1 i saw at the Sony Mobile Store (went yesterday and compared, the RED on the Sony Store Xperia Z1 looks nearly PINK in my Xperia Z1 display. It's THAT BAD.

And I waited THIS LONG for the device, feel trolled right now. And if I get a replacement, there's no guarantee that I get a good display (which is of VA type). Because Sony is facing production issues, we are literally in a lottery to get a good display. That wouldn't be an issue on a budget device, but this thing costs Rs. 43,000 for heaven's sake!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE THE XPERIA Z1. It's an amazing device, but that's only IF I GET A PROPER UNIT. This kind of situation should never have arisen in the first place. Fail Sony, fail. You lost one loyal follower.

So what will I do now? I'm attending the LG G2's launch party on Monday, so I'll get to check it out there. Also, the Nexus 5 is coming in two weeks time. Let's see how that is. If I can pick up a perfect Xperia Z1, I would get it any day. It's stunningly good, the display is beautiful, the camera is great, and the phone looks HOT (as said by my classmate, she's usually hard to impress. She also said she's loving the 'size' of it, LOL).

Then the trick is to get a proper unit since you know what to look for.

Compared to the Xperia Z1 i saw at the Sony Mobile Store (went yesterday and compared, the RED on the Sony Store Xperia Z1 looks nearly PINK in my Xperia Z1 display. It's THAT BAD.

And I waited THIS LONG for the device, feel trolled right now. And if I get a replacement, there's no guarantee that I get a good display (which is of VA type). Because Sony is facing production issues, we are literally in a lottery to get a good display. That wouldn't be an issue on a budget device, but this thing costs Rs. 43,000 for heaven's sake!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE THE XPERIA Z1. It's an amazing device, but that's only IF I GET A PROPER UNIT. This kind of situation should never have arisen in the first place. Fail Sony, fail. You lost one loyal follower.
So even if the next replacement isn't up to the mark. return it and tell them to get one that is proper. Sucks, but that's the way it goes.

So what will I do now? I'm attending the LG G2's launch party on Monday, so I'll get to check it out there. Also, the Nexus 5 is coming in two weeks time. Let's see how that is. If I can pick up a perfect Xperia Z1, I would get it any day. It's stunningly good, the display is beautiful, the camera is great, and the phone looks HOT (as said by my classmate, she's usually hard to impress. She also said she's loving the 'size' of it, LOL).
I doubt you'll be happy with a G2 when you wanted a Z1 so badly. Just get a working Z1. Now, if after a month you're still not happy then jump ship.

Back