HTC announces the new One

manucitc

Disciple
HTC has officially unveiled it's new Flagship called "New One" or M8at both London and New york simultaneously.
the new HTC One comes with one of the latest and most powerful system chips out there - the quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801. The processor runs at up to 2.3GHz, and it comes with 2GB of DDR2 RAM.
The handset is coming in a 16GB, 32GB and 64GB versions, but good news is that - unlike the original HTC One - it also features expandable storage via a microSD card slot.

htc-one-m8-1.jpg

They have wasted so much at bottom for that stupid HTC logo..
Bottom Part Look out of synch to whole device...

For Comprasion Old HTC one M7..It's look way better than newly launch M8

htc-one-m7-silver.jpg

Attachments

• HTC New One.jpg
    HTC New One.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
They have wasted so much at bottom for that stupid HTC logo..
Bottom Part Look out of synch to whole device...
You'll get used to it :)

The all important bit for us is launch price and HTC has done a lousy job with that in the past. This model will go up against the Z2. How will it fare.

Also interested to know more about the camera. The one's camera got bashed a lot, most of it unfounded. The one remains the best indoors camera bar none. Fast with a good flash.

The problem with banding however is harder to ignore. Hope they fixed that.

The design is quite good, but they could have utilized the real estate better.
iFixit however doesn't have good news for M8 on a repairability scale. They awarded the new smartphone with a 2 out of 10 on its repairability scale.
http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/26/ifixit-confirms-why-the-htc-one-m8-ships-with-a-stellar-warranty/

DDR3.
It would be interesting if it launches under 40k in India

Not sure it will come anywhere near 40K. Most probably it will be 2-3K under S5.

iFixit however doesn't have good news for M8 on a repairability scale. They awarded the new smartphone with a 2 out of 10 on its repairability scale.
http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/26/ifixit-confirms-why-the-htc-one-m8-ships-with-a-stellar-warranty/
And they gave the m7 a score of 1 out 10 so i guess this is an improvement.

No one expects users to be able to do this but people who do this for pay most certainly can. i think the price i was quoted for m7 here some time back was 6k odd going up to 8k. If people can fix the m7 then chances are pretty good they can get the m8 done too. Same plot, different actor.

sony wants 20k to replace an xperia flagship with a shattered screen. They've been offering this 6 month ADP since last sept. I've yet to hear how well it actually worked as its up to owner to prove it was an accident. How exactly you do that isn't clear. Here the stret wants 8-10k, but there is the additional waterproof business to perform. All it takes is a press and they have a device for that.

[DOUBLEPOST=1395872479][/DOUBLEPOST]
Considering that s5 will launch for 51500
Samsungs will drop 10% after 2 months. HTC ?

And they gave the m7 a score of 1 out 10 so i guess this is an improvement.

No one expects users to be able to do this but people who do this for pay most certainly can. i think the price i was quoted for m7 here some time back was 6k odd going up to 8k. If people can fix the m7 then chances are pretty good they can get the m8 done too. Same plot, different actor.

sony wants 20k to replace an xperia flagship with a shattered screen. They've been offering this 6 month ADP since last sept. I've yet to hear how well it actually worked as its up to owner to prove it was an accident. How exactly you do that isn't clear. Here the stret wants 8-10k, but there is the additional waterproof business to perform. All it takes is a press and they have a device for that.

[DOUBLEPOST=1395872479][/DOUBLEPOST]
Samsungs will drop 10% after 2 months. HTC ?

In case of M7 it was difficult opening the outer body but it was very easy once that was done. In case of M8, there are screws holding the outer body, but once it is opened there is glue everywhere inside, according to the article. So basically, the battery is glued and more importantly the motherboard is also glued to the screen making it quite difficult to repair it as you can't use a heat gun/hair dryer on the motherboard.

Sony's ADP is a joke. One of my friends was denied ADP because there were scratches on the screen. That was the reason they gave to deny her the replacement. It's just another eyewash and people should be ready to go to consumer courts if they really want what they were promised. Another reason I didn't register for the free ADP that Lenovo were providing with my laptop.

Yes as per iFixit, HTC has used a lot of adhesives and tapes to put things together. For aftermarket shops, putting everything inside would be a nightmare too. However, the design is quite sturdy and as per another report it can resist water a bit too.

BTW just sometime back HTC introduced ADP for screens for one time only on all htc handsets. I'm sure that's only for US and not Indians right?

In case of M7 it was difficult opening the outer body but it was very easy once that was done. In case of M8, there are screws holding the outer body, but once it is opened there is glue everywhere inside, according to the article. So basically, the battery is glued and more importantly the motherboard is also glued to the screen making it quite difficult to repair it as you can't use a heat gun/hair dryer on the motherboard.
So why didn't ifixit award the m8 a score of Zero instead ? what does 2 signify over 1. And what does the one they awarded last year mean when you were able to do it eventually by yourself. What do these scores mean. They are first impressions, a first stab at the problem by laypersons. They are in no way to be construed as authoritative.

Questions are difficult for whom and for how long. HTC issues service manuals, will they include instructions.

For a flagship to be irrepairable over something this trival is unusual. In other industries its been known to happen with the low end. At least that is what i'm seeing with washing machines. Sealed outer tank vs splittable. Lose something out of your pockets or bra wire gets in between the drum and the outer tank then the machine is basically scrap as they can't open the outer tank without destroying it and a replacement is not worth it. Same applies with bearings changes that inevitably have to be done later. Whereas either is doable with a splittable outer tank.

Sony's ADP is a joke. One of my friends was denied ADP because there were scratches on the screen. That was the reason they gave to deny her the replacement. It's just another eyewash and people should be ready to go to consumer courts if they really want what they were promised. Another reason I didn't register for the free ADP that Lenovo were providing with my laptop.
I don't think scratches qualify, its broken screen or anything that makes the device in operable. Yet to read somebody say they were granted a replacement on that basis. Things have been quiet with the Z series so far that is for people that bought after Sept 15.

Last edited:
So why didn't ifixit award the m8 a score of Zero instead ? what does 2 signify over 1. And what does the one they awarded last year mean when you were able to do it eventually by yourself. What do these scores mean. They are first impressions, a first stab at the problem by laypersons. They are in no way to be construed as authoritative.

Questions are difficult for whom and for how long. HTC issues service manuals, will they include instructions.

The ifixit people are definitely not laymen. The score of 1 for the M7 was because it was nearly impossible to open it without destroying the body whereas in case of M8 you can open it but repairing the insides is a tough ask. Hence the M8 has a score of 2.

I don't think scratches qualify, its broken screen or anything that makes the device in operable. Yet to read somebody say they were granted a replacement on that basis. Things have been quiet with the Z series so far that is for people that bought after Sept 15.

The screen was cracked, but they didn't give replacement because the screen and the body was also scratched.

The screen was cracked, but they didn't give replacement because the screen and the body was also scratched.
How much scratched was it. Any chance to see a photo.

The question is what constitutes an accident. Accident is the main qualifier here, does not cover any or all damage. You have to prove it was an accident. Onus is on you to convince them.

Too many scratches like you did your own drop test they refuse, broken screen with light scratches that does not look like somebody threw it down the stairs, maybe ok. Nobody knows where the line is. A frequent customer with a good relationship might be given more leeway than an unknown. It's all quite arbitrary and this is why i think its hard to prove your case, which to me is the gotcha.

Smartest thing to do is pretend there is no ADP. Its a borderline gimmick. Its an inducement to buy with no guarantee they will keep to their end if called out. This is not to say they will not do it just that it might be hard to get them to do it depending on the damage.

Last edited:
Back