User Guides How to install .gadget files in Windows Xp [Really simple]

I've been trying to find a way to install the .gadget files to the windows sidebar running under windows xp & got it just now. Posting it here as someone may find it useful. Well its actually not so difficult, this one would be the easiest guide posted in this section & most of us may be knowing it.

Under vista since the sidebar is intergrated, the gadgets will be installed automaticaly without any problem, but under windows xp, after downloading the .gadget file it'll simply refuse to install without showing any error messages.

Here's the guide to how to install the .gadget files under windows xp.

Steps:

1) Download the .gadget file from windows live gallery.

2) Rename the .gadget file to .zip (remember not to delete the .gadget extension, just add the .zip after .gadget)

For example the file named "Wired Network Meter.gadget" would be renamed as "Wired Network Meter.gadget.zip"

3) Using some software like winrar, unzip the the .zip file to a folder with filename of the .zip file.

The "Wired Network Meter.gadget.zip" would be extracted to the folder named "Wired Network Meter.gadget"

4) Copy that folder to "C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets"

5) From sidebar, click add gadgets. You'll find the gadget listed along with the other ones.

Incase you find any difficulty in understanding the steps, just see these step by step screenshots:

Hi Man
Thanx for this xtrmly useful idea!!!
But I am stuck at step (5).
"from sidebar" - which and where is it ? I am using XP Pro sp3.

thanx

Ank1t said:
I firefox when i download gadgets it gives an option to open with gadget installer, i just use that :S

But I use FF only version 3.5RC3 - I don't get that option to open with installer!!!
Badluck

Back