User Guides How to Install Avast antivirus on Ubuntu (amd64)

[font=Georgia,]Ok guys am running Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS so will be setting this up on the same.[/font]

[font=Georgia,]Avast offers a free antivirus for Linux [which mainly works for windows Viruses] but sadly its a 32bit version so it doesn't run on Ubuntu(amd64 aka 64bit). Here is a way to make it run and update .[/font]

[font=Georgia,]FOR INSTALLATION[/font]

[font=Georgia,]First off download the deb file from here and ia32lib for avast.[/font]

[font=Georgia,]Now install 32bit library files in Ubuntu which are needed to run 32bit programs on 64bit environment
Code:
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
[/font]

[font=Georgia,]Open terminal and move to your download location
Code:
cd /home/<username>/Downloads
[/font]

[font=Georgia,]Install deb file
Code:
sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i avast*
[/font]

[font=Georgia,]Install ia32libs for avast
Code:
sudo dpkg -i ia32-avast-libs.deb
[/font]

[font=Georgia,]After finishing run
Code:
ldd /usr/lib/avast4workstation/bin/avastgui

ldd /usr/lib/avast4workstation/bin/avast
and check that none of them say "Not found".[/font]

[font=Georgia,]FOR UNINSTALL[/font]

[font=Georgia,]
Code:
sudo dpkg -r avast4workstation
[/font]

[font=Georgia,]TROUBLESHOOT[/font]

[font=Georgia,]After an update you might face this error of "avast engine invalid argument" like I did then the most simple way to solve it is[/font]

[font=Georgia,]
Code:
sudo su

sysctl -w kernel.shmmax=128000000
[/font]

[font=Georgia,]Thanks to Ubuntu Forums - View Profile: linuxed for basic info.[/font]

^^ Is there a real necessity of using a anti virus software on linux? are u doing something extra ordinary with it, Been a linux user for almost 3 years and never found a need to do so, when everything is so open out there.. please enlighten me otherwise~

^^ Is there a real necessity of using a anti virus software on linux? are u doing something extra ordinary with it, Been a linux user for almost 3 years and never found a need to do so, when everything is so open out there.. please enlighten me otherwise~

be enlightened then . Just take a case when you need to scan an external drive or a machine which hosts windows then this helps you eliminate the virus . And if you are as experienced as you say then you will know why i used linux other than windows.
And to all users if you dont find the need, then why the hell you opened up the thread and felt the need to comment. A guy with the need will know of the reason.

Back