How to hack a 250gb sata drive to work in the Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Slim

Hi guys,

I have a xbox 360 4gb slim version...bought it from nextworld.in last week.
After the purchase I realized that the 4gb version is no good...because the original dvd's tend to get scratchy with usage and dont run....My fifa 2011 dvd just went dead on me an hour ago....Looks like it is a wise thing to save the game on the HDD
[should have opted for the 250gb version instead....]

So here's the thing...I googled and found out that we can use our usual WD 25" HDD's with the xbox.....but it has to be flashed in order to do so...

I also found out a link on how to : [Xbox 360] How to hack a 250gb sata drive to work in the Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Slim

but the real question is..has anyone tried it ? and did it work ? will it void the warranty in any sorts??

(Sorry if this has been discussed earlier....)

If you manage to pull this off, without incurring any sort of physical damage to ANY part of your console, then you're good to go, as far as warranty is concerned. Also, a word of caution: If you plan on using the method posted above to mod any standard drive into using it as a 360 drive, then there is a possibility of facing a XBL ban. Read up on Microsoft's policy on how tampering with software will result in a ban. It's not guaranteed, but it's merely stated in their policy and you are possibly risking it, when you go through this process.

Its quite difficult to do so if you don't know about it and you could damage your hdd as well, there are dealers at IVG forums who were selling these 250GB HDD compatible with 360 for around 5k

@ethan , this is not really tampering with the S/w...but merely the hdd....but if it poses any threat of XBL ban...then m better off...

@Dinjo...bro..the new 250 gb (official)costs around 5 - 5.5 kz on ebay.....so buying the modded one from IVG makes no sense....but thanks :)

Its actually pretty simple to do so. google it u will find instructions on web. i have done this to my arcade with a wd2500bevt hdd. if ur hdd gets killed simply RMA it. there will be no ban for this, how stupid it is to think so.

cOOl_chap said:
@ethan , this is not really tampering with the S/w...but merely the hdd....but if it poses any threat of XBL ban...then m better off...
If your attaching an HDD which has been flashed with modified HDDSS.BIN file, then that process is software tampering. If you have an HDD from your old console and want to swap it to your X360S one, then that's fine, since it's merely a HDD swap. However, care has to be taken to not damage the slot of the new console.

XBL ban works in a very weird way. When you get banned, you will only be given a vague explanation of why you were banned. It won't say your HDD was modded or your console's DVD drive was modded. It will merely state what policy you have breached and it's consequence.

@ Aman, bro...the previous Arcade - white one's were the best thing..hassle free xbox....but the new gen black one's are very #$#@$...so if u say that u did this hack on the arcade one....its a diff story...coz the black one's are known to ban ppl for no reason + give the RROD :(.......

i checked around...m getting the 250 gb xbox hdd with warranty for around 6k delivered to India from Ebay..so i guess its ok......now i just hope I get the RMA for my FIFA 11 dvd asap

6K for 250GB :0
I'm way better in using external USB than purchasing this drive...
Able to install 2 games on 16GB space easily..
Using 500Gb external HDD with folder name change trick.. :):D

Guys...I use 16GB external USB drive for XBOX 360 - Arcade (White).. DVD installation of the game to this memory storage is failing.. though the game is working fine when run till certain levels... :hap2:

Is there any way to directly copy the iso file from PC to XBOX 360 formatted external USB.. ??

I want to copy the DVD contents through PC...Use the DVD to start the game...Does this even work? :S

cOOl_chap said:
Hi guys,

I have a xbox 360 4gb slim version...bought it from nextworld.in last week.

After the purchase I realized that the 4gb version is no good...because the original dvd's tend to get scratchy with usage and dont run....My fifa 2011 dvd just went dead on me an hour ago....Looks like it is a wise thing to save the game on the HDD

[should have opted for the 250gb version instead....]

So here's the thing...I googled and found out that we can use our usual WD 25" HDD's with the xbox.....but it has to be flashed in order to do so...

I also found out a link on how to : [Xbox 360] How to hack a 250gb sata drive to work in the Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Slim

but the real question is..has anyone tried it ? and did it work ? will it void the warranty in any sorts??

(Sorry if this has been discussed earlier....)

i tried it and it works ver well, using the 250gb with my core and new slim console,
Ethan_Hunt said:
If you manage to pull this off, without incurring any sort of physical damage to ANY part of your console, then you're good to go, as far as warranty is concerned. Also, a word of caution: If you plan on using the method posted above to mod any standard drive into using it as a 360 drive, then there is a possibility of facing a XBL ban. Read up on Microsoft's policy on how tampering with software will result in a ban. It's not guaranteed, but it's merely stated in their policy and you are possibly risking it, when you go through this process.

Its not difficult, actually its very easy if you do it carefully, using the same from past 1.5 year, no ban, actually no1 had a ban with this mod, safe to do.
dinjo said:
Its quite difficult to do so if you don't know about it and you could damage your hdd as well, there are dealers at IVG forums who were selling these 250GB HDD compatible with 360 for around 5k
cOOl_chap said:

@Dinjo...bro..the new 250 gb (official)costs around 5 - 5.5 kz on ebay.....so buying the modded one from IVG makes no sense....but thanks :)

you can just buy the slim hdd casing from dealextreme for just 250rs odd and the hdd for just max 2k with local 3years warranty.
aman147 said:
Its actually pretty simple to do so. google it u will find instructions on web. i have done this to my arcade with a wd2500bevt hdd. if ur hdd gets killed simply RMA it. there will be no ban for this, how stupid it is to think so.

Yes +1.

For more precise instruction and stuff source, i already posted a tutorial on another forum, check it here, it might clear lots of your doubts

kanishk619 said:
i tried it and it works ver well, using the 250gb with my core and new slim console,
Its not difficult, actually its very easy if you do it carefully, using the same from past 1.5 year, no ban, actually no1 had a ban with this mod, safe to do.

you can just buy the slim hdd casing from dealextreme for just 250rs odd and the hdd for just max 2k with local 3years warranty.
Yes +1.

For more precise instruction and stuff source, i already posted a tutorial on another forum, check it here, it might clear lots of your doubts
Link not working buddy...

Also, is it possible to load the isos directly to HDD as in PS3..?

ISO's cannot be loaded. Even the JTAG console doesn't load ISO's. This game installation procedure is NOT a way to bypass DVD checks, it's only too reduce load times and reduce the constant reading burden from the DVD drive. You'll need to have the disc in the drive for the initial authetication.

Just to be clear, the PS3 does not load ISO's. The games that are playable on the CFW, are ripped content from the back up managers.

Actually... I might have put the question wrongly.. I know that DVD must be present in tray always for the game to work..

I use 16GB external USB drive for XBOX 360 - Arcade (White).. DVD installation of the game from XBOX 360 to this memory storage is failing with "Cant read disc error".. though the game is working fine when run from DVD till certain levels...

Is there any way to directly copy the iso file/Game DVD contents from PC( I already have backed up the iso) to XBOX 360 formatted external USB.. I suppose XBOX 360 does the same when you mean INSTALLING..?? So, if copy from DVD is failing, then can we copy the content from PC?

After copying the ISO contents through PC...Use the DVD in XBOX 360 to start the game for the authentication stuff...Does not even know whether this can be done? Just a vague thought...

Oh now I get it. I think that might be possible in the same way that JTAG users fuse their content into the HDD. I'm not a 100% sure, but the software is called ISO2GOD. I'll look into it once I get home and let you know about it. However, if the console's drive cannot read a particular sector & fails the installation, then there is a possibility it could be corrupt disc and would have a similar result on the PC too. Did you try creating a back up image of that game on your PC?

You can use 360 Image Browser it has extract option , have used some time back and it works great.

Back