How To Enable AHCI ?

Adept
I am having XP-Vista Dual-Booted. XP is installed on IDE drive and Vista on SATA drive. Now, when i set JMicron Controller Mode to AHCI from BASIC, Vista boots but XP shows BSoD. Anyway, to get XP working on AHCI.

NOTE: I am having ASUS P5B-VM(ICH8) as you can see in my signature. And no floppy drive(should i buy one?).

I am running XP SP2.

And I am running XP on IDE, so why SATA drivers are required or should i install my XP on SATA?

And which SATA drivers are required and from where can i get them?

ahci is better

it has ncq support built in.(i dunno bout raid mode)

raid is not required unless u are using multiple hd's in raid config.

xp doesn't have native raid driver.

so u need guide specifically for ur mobo chipset to convert vista to ahci.

else best option for xp would be a fresh install on ahci mode with a ready floppy and F6 install

188007 said:
I am running XP SP2.

And I am running XP on IDE, so why SATA drivers are required or should i install my XP on SATA?

And which SATA drivers are required and from where can i get them?

IIRC , IDE port in recent boards are implemented through the JMicron controller. For eg. in my board 2 sata ports+ IDE ports are controlled by JMicron. Rest are controlled by ICH9. Please correct me if am wrong :).

You will need to set the mode as IDE, then force install the drivers by updating them in Device Manager. Reboot and set the mode to AHCI/RAID and boot into Windows. This should work. It worked for my Abit IP35-Pro.

You will need to install the drivers for the controller and not the HDDs. The exact driver can be obtained by unzipping the driver package.

vNerd said:
You will need to set the mode as IDE, then force install the drivers by updating them in Device Manager. Reboot and set the mode to AHCI/RAID and boot into Windows. This should work. It worked for my Abit IP35-Pro.

You will need to install the drivers for the controller and not the HDDs. The exact driver can be obtained by unzipping the driver package.

How to set the mode to IDE? There is no such option in my BIOS i think.

And plz give me the drivers which are required.

Back