PC Peripherals How to clean the mousepad? Steelseries QcK+

killerz

Disciple
I have this pad, its got dirty mostly in the center area. So a little friction while using the DA.
How can i clean it?
Can i wash it with water and woolen clothes detergent or a shampoo may be?

qp192h.jpg

Well, I've cleaned my mousepads multiple ways now. This is what I find most effective.

1. Hose down the mousepad with water ( since youre hosing it, doesn't need to be warm )
2. Take and old toothbrush, and put handwash soap on it.
3. Brush out all the dirt and grime from the surface using the toothbrush.
4. Hose again.
5. Rinse and repeat ( if need be )
6. For drying, since its a Qck+, its thin and dries very quickly. Put it in a room with all the windows closed on a newspaper and put the fan on the lowest effective speed. This will ensure that no "new" dust clings to it because of a high fan speed and no crap comes from outside. The newspaper is to soak up any water that the mousepad may have soaked up.

Note that I used this on my Qck and Mantis Speed. Just got my Goliathus yesterday so haven't had a reason to clean it. It works wonders on my previous two mousepads.

One more thing that you can do is, for the thicker mousepads, put warm water and shampoo in a bucket and use the mousepad to lather it up and let it soak for half an hour. Then hose all the shampoo off and dry. This can also be used if you haven't cleaned your mousepad in a while or its soaked up something like coffee or any other liquid for removing the grime.

HTH.

PS. For my Mantis, once I wanted it dry real quick so I used a hairdryer, in moderation of course.

Edit --

Whatever happens, DONT wring your mousepad dry. Its not a piece of clothing.

Heh, it will stay alive. Theyre pretty durable. However, Superfrag, while he was here, apparently told his maid to clean his Qck Heavy and she just put in the washing machine with the rest of the laundry :O!

monkee said:
Heh, it will stay alive. Theyre pretty durable. However, Superfrag, while he was here, apparently told his maid to clean his Qck Heavy and she just put in the washing machine with the rest of the laundry :O!
Hahaha . Testing the pad to the Extreme Limits. The company cud use his reviews ;)

Oh, sorry, forgot to mention. I have an old Crest toothbrush, soft-med bristles, with multiple bristle layers ( you know, the ones to get into your cavitiezz ). I use this toothbrush for cleaning fine dust in my pc, headphones, keyboard etc. ...And yes, this is after service to my teeth. I needed to change my toothbrush and didnt have one for fine dust so this one's priorities changed.

Ill Get the new indicator one it will tell me when to replace the mousepad cleaning brush, so that it does not harm the pad :rofl:

M sure in future there will be a mousepad cleaning kit too in the market :p

Better not use soap and avoid anything harsh like tootbrush. It may give rise to linting. I have enough of those lints on my pad already due to sweaty palms

@sajitsm I've never had any problems with linting. My Qck and Mantis both have treated surfaces and my method's worked well for me. Its not like I used a generic toothbrush either. What's safe for the teeth and gums is safe for the mousepad as well.

I think this applies to most of the mouse pads out there :) ...

and btw lets start a GO for toothbrush with soft-med bristles, with multiple bristle layers ... :rofl:

monkee said:
Well, I've cleaned my mousepads multiple ways now. This is what I find most effective.

1. Hose down the mousepad with water ( since youre hosing it, doesn't need to be warm )

2. Take and old toothbrush, and put handwash soap on it.

3. Brush out all the dirt and grime from the surface using the toothbrush.

4. Hose again.

5. Rinse and repeat ( if need be )

6. For drying, since its a Qck+, its thin and dries very quickly. Put it in a room with all the windows closed on a newspaper and put the fan on the lowest effective speed. This will ensure that no "new" dust clings to it because of a high fan speed and no crap comes from outside. The newspaper is to soak up any water that the mousepad may have soaked up.

Note that I used this on my Qck and Mantis Speed. Just got my Goliathus yesterday so haven't had a reason to clean it. It works wonders on my previous two mousepads.

One more thing that you can do is, for the thicker mousepads, put warm water and shampoo in a bucket and use the mousepad to lather it up and let it soak for half an hour. Then hose all the shampoo off and dry. This can also be used if you haven't cleaned your mousepad in a while or its soaked up something like coffee or any other liquid for removing the grime.

HTH.

PS. For my Mantis, once I wanted it dry real quick so I used a hairdryer, in moderation of course.

Edit --

Whatever happens, DONT wring your mousepad dry. Its not a piece of clothing.

Before:

qp192h.jpg

After:Its like Brand New!! :hap5:

wtub1v.jpg

Back