Laptops How much tax is charged by Indian customs for tablet Pcs??

darksmart

Disciple
Hi
I recently ordered 2 tablets from china worth 87USD each..I recieved them in 10 days,horrible condition,box torn apart,missing charger and cables,and one of the tablet was turned ON.(thats how junglees are checking stuff and repacking stuff)
And , I was charged 1472rs. as custom duty on each tablet.
Though the value declared was 30USD and was declared as gift,but still I was charged a heavy amount as tax.
Can anyone tell me why is it so??or from where i can get help on this..

Can you give the link from where you bought it? Was it sent by normal post / EMS? Do you mean Junglee.com?

Personal imports through postal channels are charged duty at the rate of 41.5% of the customs assessed value. And Junglee.com just redirects you the actual merchant, they directly do not sell any item. In case you bought from Amazon, it would be from 3rd party merchant. It is the indian customs officers who open and check the package contents and are responsible for the poor handling.

Can you give the link from where you bought it? Was it sent by normal post / EMS? Do you mean Junglee.com?

Personal imports through postal channels are charged duty at the rate of 41.5% of the customs assessed value. And Junglee.com just redirects you the actual merchant, they directly do not sell any item. In case you bought from Amazon, it would be from 3rd party merchant. It is the indian customs officers who open and check the package contents and are responsible for the poor handling.
Wasn't that 14.7% for tablets?

Wow, I wasn't aware of that! Doesn't this mean that if we import stuff from US through USPS, it is going to be costlier than say through DHL (assuming they have the same rates)

If its an expensive item, its always better to go with DHL / Fedex / Aramex etc. But if it costs less than ~ Rs 2000, normal airmail would be cheaper.

I had to pay Rs 1050 for the 35$ Raspberry Pi which was sent through DHL, this included the duty and their handling charge. If it was through normal airmail I wouldn't have had to pay anything.

It was sent by normal Hong Kong airmail..By junglee,i mean non-sense(not website) as they mishandled my stuff and missed charger and cables..and what is 41.5&#37???

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

ohh..Excuse me for that...:unsure:

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

If you cant pay the fine, dont commit the crime

Really????Is keeping a part of imported stuff and abusing it is also a part of fine in Custom and excise deptt.????Let me know where it is written???

ohh..Excuse me for that...:unsure:

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Really????Is keeping a part of imported stuff and abusing it is also a part of fine in Custom and excise deptt.????Let me know where it is written???

:)

The crime of wanting something not made in India ofcourse

(was a joke :) )

Hi
Though the value declared was 30USD and was declared as gift,but still I was charged a heavy amount as tax.

Just because you got them undervalued doesn't mean that they have to accept it as the value. They can do their own valuation and charge customs accordingly.

Just because you got them undervalued doesn't mean that they have to accept it as the value. They can do their own valuation and charge customs accordingly.
Thats what I want to know,what was their evaluation on price?and what % they have charged as tax amount???(I never told anyone to show the tabs as undervalued.I understand everyone has a mind to understand that a tab cannot cost 30USD..Even Akash comes for $35)

^ I have posted the duty rate above, comes to 41.5 percent and that makes the assessable value close to 65 USD.
Ok,thanks..Somebody told me that the tax is around 30percent only for items above 10000..Anyway,thanks for the info..I will take care of this in future..

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

So in case I import something by DHL or china/Hong Kong express airmail,so will their be just 14.7 percent tax???Will there be any price limit above which the tax will be more?

%

Nowadays all items are charged duty. Even the 10k limit you said is for bonafide gifts and should be from someone living abroad.

And the rate is not the same for all items, the duty rate depends on the type of item.

Mobile Phones - 2.06%
Computer Accessories - 16.8%
Tablets / Laptop - 16.8%
Electronics / TV / Headphones etc - 28.8%

The above rates are applicable only if you get it through express courier like DHL, Aramex, Fedex etc. If you opt for postal channels ie Airmail, EMS Speedpost etc, you will charged duty at the rate of 41.5 % for all items. Small / Low value items can be sent through Airmail without any problem and there wouldn't be any duty for eg cables, screen protectors, mobile cases etc

%

Nowadays all items are charged duty. Even the 10k limit you said is for bonafide gifts and should be from someone living abroad.

And the rate is not the same for all items, the duty rate depends on the type of item.

Mobile Phones - 2.06%
Computer Accessories - 16.8%
Tablets / Laptop - 16.8%
Electronics / TV / Headphones etc - 28.8%

The above rates are applicable only if you get it through express courier like DHL, Aramex, Fedex etc. If you opt for postal channels ie Airmail, EMS Speedpost etc, you will charged duty at the rate of 41.5 % for all items. Small / Low value items can be sent through Airmail without any problem and there wouldn't be any duty for eg cables, screen protectors, mobile cases etc

Many thanks..I wasn't even aware that DHL shipping cost includes taxes etc..Thanks for the knowledge..Reps ya..

^^ DHL shipping cost doesn't include customs duty. Its only for the shipping. When the package comes in, they get it cleared from the customs and pay what ever duties are charged. Subsequently the collect the duties from you during delivery along with additional commission + service taxes as customs clearance charges.

When I imported RAM from UK (Memory-Configurator), the RAM cost was 275 Euro and DHL shipping charges were 30 Euro. The sender under valued the item to 30 Euro. Customs Officials in India charged close to 650 Rs as customs charges. DHL added another 150Rs as their own commission and taxes over the customs duties.

Back