PC Peripherals How do I Clean A Graphics Card Fan?

kvikram

Skilled
img20120609184117.jpg
-> My 5870

I'm actually experiencing an FPS drop in all my games due to all this dust. If I remove it from the slot and give it a little cleaning, FPS is back up. But again it drops. I've honestly no idea how to get rid the dust completely. I've tried blowing the fan with a vacuum cleaner to no avail.

I'm actually experiencing an FPS drop in all my games due to all this dust. If I remove it from the slot and give it a little cleaning, FPS is back up. But again it drops. I've honestly no idea how to get rid the dust completely. I've tried blowing the fan with a vacuum cleaner to no avail.

Try using compressed air-cans and a regular brush, they can help; till a point. After this if you are the adventurous one you can unscrew the backplate, take of the shroud and really clean your graphic cards guts. Use precautions like --

A few interesting articles I found -- [Guide] Cleaning and reseating your graphics card / How To Thoroughly Clean Your Dirty Desktop Computer - How-To Geek.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

ALPHA17 Thanks for the detailed reply. You're awesome. :D

I looked up can of compressed air on ebay and came across this: DUST BUSTER Compressed Gas AIR DUSTER 8 Oz Can. | eBay Okay to buy? These things are pricey tho. How long do they last?

If I'm not going to buy a pricey anti-static wrist strap, to prevent static electricity damage, I suppose I have to keep myself "grounded". Nothing more than keeping your legs on the floor right? :ashamed: (after discharging by touching the case).

I'm also thinking of going the vacuum cleaner way by using a pen or pencil to stop the fans from spinning (as suggested in how-to geek). My question is, is it really necessary to buy a can of compressed air? I think some people here on TE said they go along just fine using a vacuum.

Looking forward to more replies...

ALPHA17 Thanks for the detailed reply. You're awesome. :D

These things are pricey. How long do they last?

If I'm not going to buy a pricey anti-static wrist strap, to prevent static electricity damage, I suppose I have to keep myself "grounded". Nothing more than keeping your legs on the floor right? :ashamed: (after discharging by touching the case).

I'm also thinking of going the vacuum cleaner way by using a pen or pencil to stop the fans from spinning (as suggested in how-to geek). My question is, is it really necessary to buy a can of compressed air? I think some people here on TE said they go along just fine using a vacuum.

You are welcome @kvikram, though there is no detailing in my earlier post. All of it is stuff that a simple Google search turns up.

Well I have never used compressed air myself so no idea on how long a can lasts.

I have tried the vacuum cleaner method and it is effective; just clarify whether the action should be to vacuum up all the dirt OR to blow it off. I read somewhere that on one particular mode the vacuum system is highly charged with ions and this can damage your components [out of touch with practical science for the past ~3 years does this].

Instead of purchasing expensive anti-static wrist bands, why don't you 'ground' yourself by --

• [a] touch something metallic;
    use these -- anti-static bags. I think you will have some off these from all your PC peripherals';
    [c]use both above methods in conjunction.

Now all this is coming from just me [take this with a pinch of salt], so I suggest that you wait for a few other members to pitch in their views.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back