Budget 21-30k Home PC for browsing / movies /downloading 24x7... HTPC ?

Vagabond

Adept
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • Samsung LCD 32"
    • Sony HTib
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • NA
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • Nothing in mind yet, starting from scratch
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • might add additional HDDs to store
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Pune
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Browsing
    • HTPC
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • NA
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Rarely
  1. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Suggest as will be connecting to 32"LCD Tv
  2. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  3. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit

Above all - need something with minimum power consumption.

If you intend to also have a 24x7 downloading then wouldn't electricity consumption of a full fledged desktop be far more than any other low power device ?
May be buy a second hand laptop or something for dedicated downloading ?

@raksrules I have already have a hp dv series (6 years old) laptop to which I am using 24x7 for downloading. Its living on the edge and could die on me anytime.

Till the time the laptop survives I will be using for downloading and new PC for browsing etc.

By the way, if I use the new machine for 24x7, how much electricity bill it will add up ? I am considering about 150 Rs monthly.

If that exceeds then certainly I will prefer to buy a laptop for 30k max. But that laptop shall have HDMI support so as to connect with LCD.

So far I couldn`t manage to get going with stand alone downloaders (Pogoplug is still lying with me).

You could try to setup a downloading rig with raspberry pi or something. Will cost way lesser then lappy and will be very energy efficient.

I have no idea about electricity bills and all so i cannot tell but i feel that a desktop would consume lot of more than a laptop. I may be wrong.
Standalone downloaders like may be HDD connected to router or pogo plug etc (you mentioned it is unused) may be more effective in terms of electricity consumption.

Apart from downloading I want it for watching movies on 32" LCD, need it to pass DTS via HDMI in either of following way -

1. PC/Laptop > HDMI > LCD > Optical Out > HTiB

2. PC/Laptop > optical Out > Htib ( i guess any laptop has optical out there ?)

Lets assume for time being i won`t be using this for continuous downloading but 8 hrs in night for downloading.

Please suggest based on that.

Thanks

yes they are available.. I have a dealer who can provide me details - specs range from amd e350,450 to intel core i5 i7

pricing is 18k to 35k

@babhishek

Looks good, does this come with bundled OS (win 7 preferred), warranty in India available ?

18k seems good as already have wireless keyboard and mouse combo.

Any online link to buy ?

Intel G2020 - 3500
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H - 3700
Corsair Value 4GB - 2800
WD Blue 500GB - 3300
Any Zebronics cabinet - 1000
Seasonic S12II 430 - 4100
Keyboard + Mouse - 700
Total - 19100

Back