Audio Hippo Epic-Sparkle: A newbie's initial impression

esanthosh

Skilled
Disclaimers

Let's begin with what this is NOT.
  • I am not an audiophile, just someone who likes music. And this is not a review, just impressions.
  • Generally, my attention span is a few minutes, so do not expect a critical and perfectly analytical review.
  • And I am in Play school as far as lingo goes. So wherever I cannot find a term, I'll explain in layman terms. If I am wrong in my usage of terms anywhere, please feel free to correct me. After all, everybody should start learning somewhere.
  • I got bold enough to write this impression because If you cannot join them (in terms of good ears and knowledge), Beat them (by writing on something they won't get their hands on for sometime) :)
That cleared, let's move on....

Background:

I ordered a headphone from Jaben and was surprised to find an additional IEM in the package. It's the new entry level IEM from Jaben called Hippo Epic-Sparkle. I think these are el cheapo cousins of Hippo Boom.

While this may be a Chinese New year gift, I find that Jaben does this regularly to surprise it's customers. May I add, a good marketing ploy as well - gives something to talk about in forums :)

There are only a few reviews so far - one from Indonesian Forum here

dfkt of abi has got it too. But do not expect his review until a few weeks later.

Build Quality:

I guess this would be priced much lower. So, it's not fair to expect great quality and HES does not disappoint on that front.

The cable does not provide any comfort whatsoever. The cable has plenty of memory as you can figure out from the photos. Within the first three minutes I tried it, pulling Clip+ out of my shirt pocket totally blanked the right ear. Some pats, adjustments and lot of four letter words later, it got fixed. I figured that the connector was the issue.

I hate to admit it, but I did not figure out that Right and Left were wrongly marked until I was nearly half an hour into my listening and started A/B-ing with other Headphones and IEMs :ashamed:

Other features:

Accessories: Two more tips and a pouch.

Isolation: Do not bother. There's none. I could stop music and strike a normal conversation. It's the most open IEM I had. I thought I had a loose seal and pushed it in. Apart from that little ear ache, there was no improvement. May be I should try different tips.

Microphonics: There's plenty of Microphonics (when cable touches your body while walking). When worn over the ear, it reduced.

Sound Quality:

They were easily driven by Clip+ even at 50% volume (For comparison, RE0 needs cranking up to 90%)

When compared against EP-630, it's got a better sound stage. But it's not wide. I could not perceive depth of the sound stage though.

But, you should pray that there are no "sh..." in the song. For instance, this is what I heard in "Points of Authority":

Forfeit the game
Before somebody elsssse
Takessss you out of the frame
And puts your name to ssshhame

Well! this sibilance has been a problem with almost all their IEMs. So that was expected :p

I thought they were not that bad in the slow songs. I was trying Opeth's "Harvest" (4th Track of "Blackwater Park" album) and it did ok. But when the next track "The Drapery falls" went past it's melodic opening, I wish I could close my ears - there was an overwhelming amount of harshness.

For sometime, I thought it was doing something different from all other IEMs as I noticed some good effects (like the background vocals or the cymbals) like never before. Well! they were attributable to the Left-Right confusion mentioned above.

But where it fails is when it had to handle the effect of a vocal or a riff traveling from left to right. With RE0, I could "feel" it was traveling, with sparkle, it was in left ear and quickly disappeared into the right.

At first I feared that bass will drown out everything. It was thankfully not the case. Mids were good enough.

Well! that's only one hour with Left and Right inter-changed for half of that period. Let's see how it does with 100 hours burn-in.

Packing - Front

hippoepicsparkle001.jpg

Packing - Back - The Specifications

hippoepicsparkle002.jpg

IEM:

hippoepicsparkle004.jpg

hippoepicsparkle003.jpg

hippoepicsparkle006.jpg

hippoepicsparkle005.jpg

esanthosh said:

But, you should pray that there are no "sh..." in the song. For instance, this is what I heard in "Points of Authority":

Forfeit the game

Before somebody elshhhe

Takeshhh you out of the frame

And puts your name to shhhhhhame

Well! this sibilance has been a problem with almost all their IEMs. So that was shhhhlightly expected :p

Could you explain it more? How can a set of speakers change the way someone sings :huh:

It maybe the way the singer sings too. Only the sh part getting treatment from speakers is a little too much to figure out.

^ What he meant was not that the singer started singing 'sh' instead of 's'. Some speakers/IEMs tend to be harsh because of which when the singers sings words having 's', it sounds very harsh to your ears and it sounds somewhat like 'sh'. If you have tried a new pair of EP-630, they tend to do that. Also, you might have experienced this in some auto-rickshaws, those that have boom-boxes blaring in their rickshaws. Generally they have cheapo setups from which you only hear boom-boom and very harsh sound for any high frequencies.

What headphones had you ordered from Jaben? :D

I think maybe a good burn-in would reduce the sibilance, so try burning them in and give your impressions again.

@6pack

What I wanted to write was about the sibilance. "S" being stressed and coming out harsh. It's just vocal sibilance. Some of them are from the recording as I've listened to some original CDs having this problem. But in some other cases, IEMs being harsh in their highs would make them sibilant. As a result, any time the singer stresses "s", it comes out as "ssss" and "sh" comes out as "sssshhhh". It does not change the way one sings. In RE0, the stress will be still heard - more like "ss", but it would not hit harshly in your face.

Well! I heard it again and fixed exactly what I hear now.

viralbug said:
What headphones had you ordered from Jaben? :D

Well! wait for this "poor man's so-so audio gear" show off thread. I added a few more interesting things. Would like to show them off all at one go :D

tin_tin_jose said:
how many hour of burning ???

No burn-in at all. This is how it sounds out of the box. I will update the post after burn-in, as mentioned in my first post.

Instead of waiting to do a review, which I am incapable of, I thought I'd post an early impression and update it as I go along :)

@esantosh do not post impressions or reviews in audio section post it in review section.Audio sections is for discussions.PM a mod and ask him to move this thread to reviews.

^^ Nicely done ! Your impressions were very coherently written without jargons.

However your pics aren't too good ! Do get another cam to post your showoff with your new amp and headphone. :)

@MetalSpree

I did not think I had "review" worthy material. But I'll contact a mod anyways.

@BF1983

Yup! the cam is really crappy Sony W220. I'd need to buy or borrow a good cam for posting impressions or show-offs. But that being an entirely different topic, let's have it over PM :)

Oh so you have a proper cam ! Basically your images are out of focus. (last 3 in particular)

Half press your shutter till you get an autofocus beep. If the camera cannot focus there wont be any beep. So keep trying till you get the beep.

You should not press the shutter completely. Always half press it till you achieve focus.

So far I have always listened to my headphones and IEMs through out their "burn-in" period. This is the first time I am "burning in" an IEM. So, please tell me if my procedure is ok.

I use PC -> uDAC for nightly burning and then switch to my (unused) Creative Zen V Plus for day time burning. I have kept the volume on both to my preferred listening volume + 2-3 points higher. So far, the IEMs have been burning in for 40 hours straight. I did not use pink noise, only my Prog / Metal DVD (Dream Theater, Opeth, Meshuggah) on PC and assorted music on Zen V+.

Even in the morning, the complex passages (as noted in my first post) were harsher. Now after 12 more hours, the same passages sound a bit better. There's still harshness, but not to the degree that I wanted to get them off my ear soon. Sibilance though is still present. I plan to give them one more night through PC -> uDAC and then try to test them tomorrow night.

PS: Why is there no Edit button in my first post? Is there any time period within which Edits are allowed?

Back