Budget 31-40k High Screen Density Laptop with expandable RAM, under 14"

Need help guys in selecting a laptop for programming, net surfing and multimedia. Gaming performance is not needed but I am a sucker for screen quality. Can't stand the hazy low density screens. Also I don't need a big laptop since I find them too big to manage. Full HD is what I am looking at but my search hasn't fetched me quite a lot of options.

My work needs intensive memory calculations. I already have one 8GB 1600MHz, Low Voltage RAM Stick and would be looking at a total of at least 10GB in the final configuration. So the laptop should come with at least 2GB RAM and a spare expansion slot.

Another thing is that I'd want the processor to be sufficiently strong. Core i5 and the likes would be great but slightly less power (in favor of better screen/size) is also fine.

Do not care about the hard disk since I would anyway be replacing that one with an SSD.

No gaming requirements as well.

I tried Lenovo Z50-70 for a while but I hated how big it was. Anything similar, but in smaller size is what I essentially need.

Would want to constraint the budget to some 40K but if there is anything better, I could possibly extend that to 50K max.

So summarizing all the requirements, I need something with following specs:
1) Less than 14" Screen
2) RAM expansion capability
3) Stronger processor (4 cores at least)
4) High Screen Density (Full HD)

Just to update all, I bought the Lenovo Flex 2 14 from Amazon.com
Why Amazon.com or did you mean Amazon.in?

Can you post exact model number, with product link on Amazon?

Does BIOS has any option to turn off discrete graphics?

Get you laptop warranty extended to 3 years, for FREE, from here: http://lenovopromo.net

I am currently eyeing on this one: http://www.flipkart.com/lenovo-flex...29729/p/itmey8rvh9cuwcxd?pid=COMEY7FAADU2DURE

My only reason to go with this one is it has Full HD IPS display, which I think to be superior than those TFT backlit LED ones. Secondly it has backlit keyboard.

Do you also have same version? I would really appreciate if you can post Everest Hardware Report or using any other tool. Basically I am interested to know each and every component of this one. I will be using for Hackintoshing, so it will be really helpful for me. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Why Amazon.com or did you mean Amazon.in?

Can you post exact model number, with product link on Amazon?

Does BIOS has any option to turn off discrete graphics?

Get you laptop warranty extended to 3 years, for FREE, from here: http://lenovopromo.net

I am currently eyeing on this one: http://www.flipkart.com/lenovo-flex...29729/p/itmey8rvh9cuwcxd?pid=COMEY7FAADU2DURE

My only reason to go with this one is it has Full HD IPS display, which I think to be superior than those TFT backlit LED ones. Secondly it has backlit keyboard.

Do you also have same version? I would really appreciate if you can post Everest Hardware Report or using any other tool. Basically I am interested to know each and every component of this one. I will be using for Hackintoshing, so it will be really helpful for me. Thanks :)
I got this one for me: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...e_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new&shipPromoFilter=1

Had a friend coming down from the US.

Two things that stood out for me, that weren't available in the same price range in India, were - Backlit Keyboard and Core i7 (4510U). Additionally the Indian models feature a 4GB RAM and this one that I got, came with 8GB. I augmented that with another 8GB stick to get a total of 16GB.

No discrete graphics card in the model that I got. And the 3 years warranty won't work here in India. I do believe that I've one year International warranty which is anyway void since I open up the chassis (which needs rupturing of warranty void sticker on one of the screws).

I needed a dev machine for big data processing so RAM was of prime importance to me. I removed the internal 500GB HDD with an SSD, installed Ubuntu and the system is suiting well to my needs.

Whoa...what a price for the machine. Amazing. Is your freind coming back again? :p

Can you please answer my other questions. And can u comment on backlit keyboard and screen?

Whoa...what a price for the machine. Amazing. Is your freind coming back again? :p

Can you please answer my other questions. And can u comment on backlit keyboard and screen?
Did I miss any question? :p

The backlit keyboard works great. Blissful, if I may add. The Full HD screen looks great. The edge bleeding is still there but honestly this isn't my media consumption device so I am not complaining. Also scaling on windows 8 sucks big time. Few things look sharp and few apps look terrible. Ubuntu in fact renders everything way better.

^great!

yeah, you did not miss any questions :p

Is Edge bleeding is too much? Is it noticeable during normal usage? Looks like yours is a TN panel, not IPS :/

Btw are you sure it has International Warranty?

Can you post it's detailed hardware config? I would like to know what Wifi chip, audio, camera, trackpad etc. You can use a tool like Aida.

Last edited:
Looking for detailed config as well. Is it IPS screen? Did the WiFi work as in Ubuntu or you had to download the bcm WiFi driver package?

^great!

yeah, you did not miss any questions :p

Is Edge bleeding is too much? Is it noticeable during normal usage? Looks like yours is a TN panel, not IPS :/

Btw are you sure it has International Warranty?

Can you post it's detailed hardware config? I would like to know what Wifi chip, audio, camera, trackpad etc. You can use a tool like Aida.
not much but if you really want to be critical you can say its bad. Doesn't show up anywhere, while working. Also I don't have a definitive way of confirming if its TN of IPS but going with the viewing angles, I am positive that its IPS.

Lenovo gives 1 year international warranty but as I mentioned, no more applicable for me since I just ripped open the laptop and have already ruptured the warranty seal.

I am on Ubuntu and those apps wont work but I can tell that the processor is i7 4510U. The default ram is hynix. WiFi card is Atheros (no extra driver required in Ubuntu), realtek audio, synaptic touchpad.

Great! Looks like it can be hackintoshed easily. Thanks for all the info.

Now I have to find someone who is coming from US :wtf:

Back