Linux Help with Gnome-PPP, IDE for C, Compiz

hotshot05

Skilled
Just installed Linux Mint 9 Isadora yesterday. This is the 1st distro that I have installed to my HDD. Am loving Linux BTW :clap:

Question1:
I use my mobile(Nokia 5130XM) and my Airtel MO connection to connect to the net.
I used the wvdialconf command to get the phone detected. Also edited the wvdial.conf file at /etc

I can use the wvdial command to get connected to the net. Actually I am connected by this method right now :eek:hyeah:
I tried to use Gnome-PPP to connect. I put *99# as phone number and tried to connect. But It always says "Could not use Modem"
Can you tell me how to configure Gnome-PPP ????

I am including my wvdial.conf file contents here:
Code:
[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = USB Modem
Baud = 460800
Stupid Mode = Yes
New PPPD = yes
Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
ISDN = 0
Phone = *99#
Password = A
Username = B

Question 2:
I use the Turbo C++ compiler in Windows(the one with the blue screen) to write and run my programs.
Is there any such IDE for Linux?
Or do I have to use GCC to compile and run the programs and Gedit to write the programs???

Question 3:
The Compiz effects are great. But I have not yet been able to get the Cube on the Desktop even though in the Simple Compiz settings, I have selected Desktop Cube instead of Desktop Wall in Appearance. In many pics I have seen that there is a small cube on the desktop with the 4 desktops on the 4 sides which I can spin with a mouse.
I am using a laptop with an Intel 4500mHD onboard graphics though.
Is this card enough for running Blur?

Answer 2:
There are lots of IDE's you can choose in Linux. If you want to learn more on the wonderful features and posibilities in Linux and get dirty :p try out your hands on GVim or Emacs for your development :)
You can even use Gedit and add some useful plugins to make it much better. If you want some easy to use and high in features IDE you can try out Eclipse or KDevelop or CodeLite which imo is really good.

Answer 3:
If you are able to enable the Desktop Cube you have to increase the the total number of desktops to 4 in the Compiz Settings Manager first. After that to enable the cube check the keystroke that is set by default and use it :)

.:napster:. said:
Answer 2:
There are lots of IDE's you can choose in Linux. If you want to learn more on the wonderful features and posibilities in Linux and get dirty :p try out your hands on GVim or Emacs for your development :)
You can even use Gedit and add some useful plugins to make it much better. If you want some easy to use and high in features IDE you can try out Eclipse or KDevelop or CodeLite which imo is really good.

Answer 3:
If you are able to enable the Desktop Cube you have to increase the the total number of desktops to 4 in the Compiz Settings Manager first. After that to enable the cube check the keystroke that is set by default and use it :)
Finally got Compiz Cube running. I had done everything all right. I just needed to use the key combo(alt+ctrl+left mouse button+drag pointer in any direction) to get the cube.
The 3D effect of the CUBE is awesome :clap:

I had installed Code::blocks IDE yesterday. Had read some good reviews of it. But for some reason I could not run my program. Will have to look at what I am doing wrong.

Question 4:
How can I set my system to automount the NTFS partitions of my harddisk on startup?

I have to access each partition separately from the File Manager before any of the programs can access them. Since all my songs are in an NTFS partition, I have to access the partition every time I run Songbird after a restart.

Back