Help needed unlocking iPhone 4

avi

Skilled
hi all :)

A friend of mine has given me his iPhone 4 unlock. Thing is the iPhone hasn't even set up & it is asking to connect to iTunes.

• I don't have it's past history, whether it was unlocked earlier or not.
  • The slim slot of Gevey's, but not sure whether it was used or not
  • Using Tiny Umbrella I found out is on 04.11.08 & firmware is 5.0.1
  • It is of AT&T version

So what are my options ? How do I find out whether it is possible to unlock or not ?

TIA :D

figured it out after little googling.

Is there any way to check whether blobs were saved in Cydia or Tiny Umbrella ?

avi said:
figured it out after little googling.

Is there any way to check whether blobs were saved in Cydia or Tiny Umbrella ?

You can check them via either TinyUmbrella itself or latest version of redsn0w but even if the blobs are there,

it'll help you to only downgrade the firmware (iOS version) and not the baseband (it'll remain as 04.11.08)

Baseband cannot be downgraded :(

And since 5.0.1 is now untethered jailbreak-able, there's no advantage in finding out whether blobs are saved or not,

because without the baseband being able to be downgraded, there's no advantage to go to the older firmware

The best you can do right now is to use it as a ipod. I dont think there is a newer version of gevey coming out anytime soon for this baseband.

@manu - above method won't work as Apple stopped signing 4.3.3.

@switch - how do I do that ? The iTunes won't let set up without AT&T card

avi said:
@manu - above method won't work as Apple stopped signing 4.3.3.

@switch - how do I do that ? The iTunes won't let set up without AT&T card
actualy here is a shop called bellaphones and the guy said he can downgrade the baseband using at&t sim.please tell if it is possible.

NOT AT ALL POSSIBLE afaik ! Unless he has some magic wand :p

but trying never hurts right ? Just make sure you are watching what he is doing with your iPhone.

Guys, don't fall into the trap. Baseband on a current iPhone cannot be downgraded. PERIOD.

Only exception is a 3GS with old bootrom, that was discontinued by Apple way back in 2008.

@avi, don't pay anyone or let anyone experiment with your phone.

If someone really tries hard, the best that could happen is that the baseband s/w will be erased and

the baseband chip may get broken. And the phone will become useless for its life !!

So, do yourselves a favor .. either wait for some authentic solution to arrive and use it as an iPod until then,

or sell it and buy another one

Back