Monitors Help me choose new monitor

6pack

ex-Mod
I was searching for a 16:10 monitor of 1920x1200 size below 15k. Leaving that aside, since 16:10 is not the favorite of manufacturers,

I'm looking for a new monitor now, since my old monitor is dying.

budget less than equal to 15k. not a paisa more. In this lowly budget, i want:

1 - ips panel (preferred if it falls in my budget)

2 - atleast full hd screen

3 - hdmi + dvi-d connections.

4 - should be led. ccfl screens become too hot and the polarizing coating on them gets bubbles after some years of 14+ hours or usage everyday.

I found one LG IPS225V 21 inch full hd ips monitor around 10k. does not seem to be in stock anywhere.

Also found this AOC i2251Fwe

Can you guys tell me any other monitors?

i read on engadget that lg is bringing out 16:10 ips monitors. wonder when. hope they bring it out fast this month in india.

Well the stalwart Dell Ultrasharp series is always there --

Dell U2311H ~13500/- [the original budget e-IPS panel, no HDMI-out sadly and I doubt that it has a LED back-light], review here.

Dell U2312M ~14500/- [the successor to the original master design, same panel now having a LED back-light and same set of output standards as that of its predecessor], review here.

I know none of the above have the 16: 10 ratio you want but they are available readily, Dell has a good hold in the Indian market and more OR less equally good service network.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

I'd say go for Dell U2311H,You won't find many 16:10 Ips Monitors in that range,so it's better to go with the best 16:9 Ips Monitor.You won't find HDMI connection in U2311H,If you need HDMI Connection badly then ASUS PA238Q-16.5k would be another choice but as you know Asus A.S.S is handled by Rashi so be careful with that.

no hdmi port in those dells and the aoc i linked to. i really need hdmi port to view tatasky. full hd on vga port sucks. its a bit dark and hazy and of no use.

display port means i'll have to get an adapter. and display adapter = a point of failure.

i had bought a 150 bucks hdmi to dvi cable and it didn't work. i ripped it apart and saw some wires weren't even soldered properly in it. seems like rejected chinese crap stuff.

#[member='6pack']

I suggest you take a look at this thread (if you haven't already) just to help make your decision easier.

There is the Dell U2412HM, a 16:10 monitor but with no HDMI. It should cost you around 18K. But as per the four primary conditions that you have mentioned, only the ASUS PA238Q suits you. But then again, you will definitely have to spend some extra bucks over the 15K limit you've set (may be 1 or 2K extra). Both these monitors are LED backlit.

The LG monitor you've mentioned has a couple of elder brothers as well. Had seen them at Rashi Office when i was in the process of buying my PA238Q. They are cheap and have HDMI to boot. I had considered them briefly but whatever few reviews i could find were mostly negative. Plus the build is not very inspiring on these monitors and the stand is a very basic one. The last two reasons swayed my decisions towards the PA238Q.

But if you strictly do not want to go beyond 15K then the Dell U2312HM is your best option. It's LED backlit (unlike the CCFL-backlit and now EOL U2311) and has an excellent build. PQ-wise it's considered to be slightly inferior to the U2311. In fact both the U2312HM and PA238Q use the same e-IPS panel from LG. The latter is factory calibrated and uses a 10-bit lookup table which gives it the advantage over the Dell in terms of overall PQ. But the Dell lacks an HDMI port as well (though a DisplayPort is present).

So you can get the U2312HM, buy a DisplayPort to HDMI converter (assuming you need DVI for connecting to PC) for your TS HD purposes (monitor+adapter/converter shouldn't cost you above 15K). Or you can get the PA238Q with all the ports already present (but monitor will cost in the region on 16 to 17K).

You can also use the same DisplayPort-HDMI converter even in case of the U2412HM, i.e. if you up your budget for the 16:10 display ratio.

Dell U2311H is not EOL and the pq it's better than U2312HM,I think best option would be U2311H with converter.Dell U2412HM is for 20k way out of op's budget,closest is Asus PA23Q-16.5k but it's A.S.S is questionable.

#[member='eternoMind'], thanks. i saw that thread, but forgot about it
54645.gif

pa238q costs around 19k and is way overbudget. 15k was the max i could go. so i think i'll settle with the u2312hm or the lg monitor in first post if i find one.

I had my eyes on an AOC i2353Ph for around 16k on ebay, but since its almost similar to dell 2312hm, i choose the dell based on their after sales record.

had seen a review of this on anandtech some time back.

#[member='stormblast'], which right source is that? can you give me a link please
happy19.gif

54645.gif

pa238q costs around 19k and is way overbudget. 15k was the max i could go. so i think i'll settle with the u2312hm or the lg monitor in first post if i find one.

I had my eyes on an AOC i2353Ph for around 16k on ebay, but since its almost similar to dell 2312hm, i choose the dell based on their after sales record.

#[member='stormblast'], which right source is that? can you give me a link please
happy19.gif

got it from cultural @ lamington road

#[member='6pack'] try to find Dell U2311H @prime abgb or smc it's better than it's successor U2312HM,If you don't then go for U2312HM.

Dell U2311H is not EOL and the pq it's better than U2312HM,I think best option would be U2311H with converter.Dell U2412HM is for 20k way out of op's budget,closest is Asus PA23Q-16.5k but it's A.S.S is questionable.

Dell no longer produces the U2311H. So it is past EOL and has been replaced by the U2312HM. If you are referring to it being available with a few retailers then those are leftover units only. Nobody's getting new units of the same from Dell. Yes, you are right about the PQ of U2311H being better overall than the U2312HM. So it would indeed be a better bet to get that monitor. However, it's to be noted that in case of RMA the buyer will be getting a U2312HM only.

Last i checked with Dell, the U2412HM cost Rs. 17,720 inclusive of VAT and shipping but exclusive of local tax (ala Octroi). However, i checked quite some time ago (may be two months or more) and the prices must have risen. But 20K seems way too much. A fresh quote from Dell should dispel the doubts.

ASUS Onsite RMA for Monitors and laptops is handled by Neoterique Infomatique Ltd. now. People can still go to Rashi if they wish so but i dont see the point in doing the same. So atleast in terms of A.S.S. for LCDs and Laptops, we can be neutral (if not positive) towards ASUS.

54645.gif

Yikes... !!! 19K for the PA238Q.

That's way too much. From where did you get this quote? I thought it would be in the region of 17K even after accounting for the increased exchange rate. If it indeed is that high, it makes more sense to get the U2412HM. Talking of which, please get a quote from Dell (and some local retailers as well since you reside in Mumbai) for all the above talked-about models. Will help you get a better perspective.

PQ- and connectivity-wise, the PA238Q>U2311H>U2312HM. Again, i have doubts over the LG's quality. Please check out further reviews of the same but would advise you against going for this series of monitors from LG.

If the budget is indeed strictly limited then get the U2311H + HDMI-DisplayPort converter. Should get the job done. At the same time if possible, check out the PA238Q as well in person.

P.S. I use TS HD on my 238Q through HDMI with PC being connected via DVI. PQ is kick-ass.

#[member='6pack'] try to find Dell U2311H @prime abgb or smc it's better than it's successor U2312HM,If you don't then go for U2312HM.

Best is to get it from Dell. Your LCD will be delivered safely right to your doorstep. Worth a few bucks extra IMO.

happy19.gif

Entry level LG IPS panels like the IPS225V have weak RTC, so ghosting is visible. Might be a problem with TV viewing.

Prime does not respond to queries. Still waiting for quotes from Dell. In meantime found these good monitors.

1 - http://www.ebay.in/i...984.m1436.l2649 AOC having similar panel and features as Dell U2311H/HM with led. Has 2 hdmi but no dvi-d port.

2 - http://www.ebay.in/i...984.m1436.l2649 DellU2312HM LED backlight

3 - http://www.ebay.in/i...984.m1436.l2649 Dell U2311H. ccfl backlight.

Is 2312HM as costly as 15k?

Meantime waiting for coupons from ebay.

Fell like buying the AOC 21inch model in first post. All these ips panels are just 6bit. They seem overpriced.

A question: Does 178/178 viewing angles = ips panel? or can it be e-ips panel?

Asking cause i saw some tv's 178/178 written, but no mention of panel type.

Also 24 inch Toshiba PS10ZE TV uses 10bit processing, Can this tv be used as monitor? has 2 hdmi i think.

The 178 viewing angle tv is a philips 4000 series one. has 1 hdmi and i component i think. 24pfl4555 v7

could it be using e-ips panel?

#[member='6pack'] answers to your queries

A question: Does 178/178 viewing angles = ips panel? or can it be e-ips panel?

I think it signifies an e-IPS panel.

Also 24 inch Toshiba PS10ZE TV uses 10bit processing, Can this tv be used as monitor? has 2 hdmi i think.

Cannot seem to find the accursed product link, will go catalogues and google through again.

Will update the post accordingly, Cheerio!!

Okay seems they have removed the damned product of their listings.
bye22.gif

^ yes i didn't find it on their site. Its from Power Tv series PS1 range. They haven't mentioned viewing angles. The dynamic contrast is 14000. Brightness as 300cd and 10 bit processing. Its an LED tv so judging by dynamic contrast it would be e-ips or TN panel i guess. Wonder why they would use 10 bit processing on a 6 bit TN panel. Colour gradation would still suck in TN panels a lot.

If Toshiba is using e-ips panel then it would be a good buy right? Haven't seen any reviews for this model too.

^ yes i didn't find it on their site. Its from Power Tv series PS1 range. They haven't mentioned viewing angles. The dynamic contrast is 14000. Brightness as 300cd and 10 bit processing. Its an LED tv so judging by dynamic contrast it would be e-ips or TN panel i guess. Wonder why they would use 10 bit processing on a 6 bit TN panel. Colour gradation would still suck in TN panels a lot.

If Toshiba is using e-ips panel then it would be a good buy right? Haven't seen any reviews for this model too.

The thing is, if it not covered on the website, it looks highly suspect to me that the monitor will be available and even if it is, whether is it a fresh piece OR clearance stock.

I suggest you stick to the Dell Ultrasharps, yes you will have to invest in a converter, but atleast from the after-sales point of view you will be covered.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Back