Help Choose a modem/router for a newbie

iRobot

Recruit
I am looking for a modem with good range and torrent download facility.
I've shortlisted these modems by the recommendations of the forum members:
  • TP-LINK TD-W8968
  • TP-LINK TL-WR841N
  • TP-LINK TL-WR740N
  • D-Link DSL-2750U
These questions may sound naive to you, but please bear with me cause I've never used a wifi modem before o_O
  1. My home is old and has up-to 3-4 feet thick stone walls, will any of these modems work in this condition? I am hoping to get a range of ~30 feet away from the modem. Is that possible?
  2. Currently I use a Type 1 modem supplied by bsnl. Should I use this with the TP-LINK TL-WR841N or I should buy the TP-LINK TD-W8968 ? What are the pros/cons of using the either way?
  3. Why is the TP-LINK TL-WR740N router half the price of other ones? I see that this one is 150mbps but the max speed I can get from my ISP is 512kbps, so will that make much of a difference?
Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

1) D Link-2750 and TP Link w8968 are now coming with 5 dBi x 2 antennas.
Both will be good for your house and will suffice for your requirements. You only need to make sure you purchase the model with 5 dBi antennas.

2) Never used two diff devices for the wi fi set up. Maybe somebody else will answer this query.

Edit: The router model you suggested also has the 5 dBi antennas. So yes you can.
Whatever set up you choose, The antenna gain will matter here again.

3) TP-LINK TL-WR740N is simply a router.
Models like D Link 2750 and TP Link w8968 are modem+routers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.
3) TP-LINK TL-WR740N is simply a router.
Models like D Link 2750 and TP Link w8968 are modem+routers.
Yes, AFAIK the TP-LINK TL-WR740N and TP-LINK TL-WR841N are just routers, I need to know about the difference between 150mbps and 300mbps :)

Which is your ISP ?
BSNL

Edit:
I purchased TP LINK 8968..with usb and 2 x 5 dBi.
This the best, Only glitch is cannot be used as Independent Downloading System.
According to this post, I can't use the TP LINK 8968 as an independent downloader(with external hard drive connected to it). Is that right?

Last edited:
So I will stick to routers only, Do you have any other recommendations for the routers ?
My budget is 2.5 - 3k.
Choices narrowed down to:
  • TP-LINK TL-WR740N
  • TP-LINK TL-WR841N
  • Asus RT-N13U B1 (Out of stock, is this product discontinued ?)
Looks like a lot of people use the Asus RT-N13U B1 , should I just stick with that?

Last edited:
You should go with WR841 purely because of its amazing performance, simple and effective Web ui and Best after sales of TP LINK(they simply send you a brand new one in return), 3 years warranty.

Dlink gives refurbished ones as replacement, and Asus one has been too problematic I suppose.

Okay, I just realized that the only router that supports torrent download to external hard-drive is Asus RT-N13U B1 and that product is out of stock :banghead:

Are there any other routers with similar features and cost ?

Yes - some of the N13s did have that issue.

As far as TP Link - check if available in your area (ASSC) and then go for it. YMMV.

I would suggest to get a cheap BSNL modem - pay for it, do not rent it - put in bridge mode and let the routing be done by the N13 or whatever router you are looking for.

Okay, I went ahead and bought the TP-LINK TL-WR841N and its working great so far :) Thanks for all the suggestions.
I use the same. Best part is the range. I stay on the 4th floor of a building. And I get 2 bars signal on the ground floor and at a shop across the road too xD

Back