Storage Solutions HD Tune Health Check Warning - Reason to Worry?

Ok... UPDATE:

I packed the drive and delivered it to AFL on 18th January, 2011.

Got a mail from WD confirming receipt of the defective drive yesterday (20-01-2012).

Now waiting for any news of the replacement drive.

PS: waiting to see your result, as i am next on the list

^^ I know... That is the reason I am posting updates here!
<

BTW, Got a call from the AFL guys for the pickup of the drive today. It was scheduled for 16th and they only found time today!
<

I told them that I had delivered the drive at their Worli office and it had already reached WD!

Really dont know what calendar they are using! I think it is a Mayan calendar and they probably believe that the World is gonna end anyway... so, why bother??
<

UPDATE:

Got a mail from WD saying that my replacement drive has been shipped and I should receive it in the next 7 days.

Best of All, I have been sent a WD5000AAJS as a replacement for my WD3200AAJS! That essentially means that I get a 500GB in return for a 320GB!

Whats more, I even get to carry forward my original warranty that expires in late 2015!!
<

The drive is yet to reach me but I think it should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday at most!
<

Will post again once I get the drive. Till then, thanx a lot to #asingh and others who helped me handle the first HDD crash of my life... and hopefully the last!
<

If you have sensitive data on the HDD, then use zerofill or any other advanced technology.

WD doesn't mention any criteria on formatting or zerofilling.

^ congo mate, its great to hear that, i guess its my turn now. but i am lazy to backup the data
<

^^ Hehehe!!! Even I was having the same issue! But you should rather do that now instead of losing all data later!
<

Should I just format or zerofill the HDD before sending it to WD?

^^ WD does not ask you to format or zerofill the drive. You can do anything that you want. I didn't do either!

If you have sensitive data on the HDD, then use zerofill or any other advanced technology.

WD doesn't mention any criteria on formatting or zerofilling.

^^ I just deleted all my personal photos and documents using the System Mechanic Incinerator. Thereafter, I deleted all saved passwords from FF and uninstalled FF.

I did not touch the movies I had downloaded nor the music files. I thought that if the WD technician liked them, he could have them for free just by copy-pasting them to his drive without having to download the huge files! Lolzzz
<

I got my new drive yesterday evening. It is a 500GB drive in lieu of a 320GB one! Connected it and is working fine. HD Tune shows no issues.

The entire RMA took 6 days from the time of delivery of the drive to AFL on the 18th to it's receipt yesterday i.e. on 23rd.

But still, I wasted a lot more time waiting (9 days) for the AFL people to pickup my drive from my place!
<
And even after waiting for 9 days, I had to do the delivery to the AFL office myself!

I think that the pickup is a joke and should be avoided for faster RMA. Other than that, it was a good experience. Thanx to all who aided and advised me...
<

#CA50 I think you can safely opt for a RMA now. Just try avoiding the pickup and deliver the drive to AFL yourself.

Glad everything turned out ok for you. Check the warranty status.

AFL guys are good in my place. I had registered on Day 1 morning, expected date of pickup was Day 4 eve. But the AFL guy called me on Day 1 and picked the drive on Day 1.

Further WD delivered me the HDD on Day 3 eve. Had a nice experience.

Also the WD technicians are busy guys too handling too many HDDs, somehow I think they wont have time to scavenge for movies/ music etc., Also do remember they are in Thai/ Spore and I think they have good internet connex.

CA50, Lazy thay you maybe, think of the trouble of losing a HDD and also your precious data. Copy & Paste using the current technologies are a bliss.

Found it the hard way...no use waiting for the AFL guys...just go to a local courier company and request 2 pay option for the package...no need to pay for the charges WD will take care of that...also call up and tell the WD that you have sent the drive through this particular courier company and make sure to send it in that only ...that way you dont have to run around later
<

Nice to hear that the RMA went well. On a side note. I remember reading on TD forum: A guy shipped a 500GB WD Green, and in return got a 1GB Black.

<

Should I just format or zerofill the HDD before sending it to WD?

Just a format is more than enough.

^ya mate, everyone is giving free advice these days
<
, buy i am still laying like a lazy dog
<

the real pain is where to backup?? My 1tb backup is almost full and got no other place to backup as well...

thinking...thinking...

mate no pain no gain... heard that.

We are happy for #nehaladsul. So when you get a higher capacity drive, we will be happy for you too
<

You know which things *ahem* take up a lot of space and can be deleted. Alternatively give those *data* to any of your friend who would be more than happy to copy it from you
<

Back