Storage Solutions HD Tune Health Check Warning - Reason to Worry?

Neo-N

Skilled
Today I checked my WD 320GB Drive with HD Tune. And the Health tab showed me a Warning for (C5) Current Pending Sector.

Everything else is shown as ok.

Here is a Screenshot:

wdhddreport.jpg

Should I be worried? Is my drive failing? What next? :O

TIA.

:)

Pending sector count means that the drive found 2 bad sectors, and it will move them to G-list and then you might see "Reallocated sectors count" as 2, and the pending sector count should become 0

asingh said:
Forget that. Do an error scan.

^^ I did a Quick Scan and it didn't show any Damaged (Red) blocks. I just started a Full scan. Will post the results soon. Thanx.
vivacious_tg said:
Pending sector count means that the drive found 2 bad sectors, and it will move them to G-list and then you might see "Reallocated sectors count" as 2, and the pending sector count should become 0

^^ Which means?? :ashamed:

Just got the Full Error Scan report:

wdhddreport2.jpg

It shows one Damaged (Red) Block and says 'Error at 4231 MB (LBA 8665548)'. So, should I be worried now? :(

I have also downloaded the WD Tool and will be checking the drive with it now...

^^ it just means that you have 2 bad sectors in your hdd which will be soon replaced by reserved sectors and this particular information will be saved in G-list(sort of table used by hdd firmware to store sector information).

Monitor your hdd for few weeks to check there is no increase in reallocated sector count or Pending Sector count.

Just tested the Drive with the WD Diagnostic Tool.

Both the Ouick Test and the Extended Test Failed though the drive does not show any S.M.A.R.T. Errors.

Here are the results:

Test Option: QUICK TEST

Model Number: WDC WD3200AAJS-00YZCA0

Unit Serial Number: WD-WCAYU100XXXX

Firmware Number: 01.03B01

Capacity: 320.07 GB

SMART Status: PASS

Test Result: FAIL

Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 1 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 1!

Test Time: 22:31:17, January 01, 2012

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST

Model Number: WDC WD3200AAJS-00YZCA0

Unit Serial Number: WD-WCAYU100XXXX

Firmware Number: 01.03B01

Capacity: 320.07 GB

SMART Status: PASS

Test Result: FAIL

Test Error Code: 08-Error was detected while repairing bad sectors.

Test Time: 23:37:01, January 01, 2012

So, should I get my drive RMAed or what?? :S

TIA

IMO, leave it. Although they will RMA your drive, with the shortage of drives, chances of getting a refurb are quite high. Plus, any other issues?

If it's still under pending sector, wait for some time, i also got this error last month on my WD blue, HDD fixed the pending sectors in around one week., install HD sentinal and turn on notification for any changes, (it'll alert u if theres any change in the pending sector..)

vivek.krishnan said:
IMO, leave it. Although they will RMA your drive, with the shortage of drives, chances of getting a refurb are quite high. Plus, any other issues?

^^ No issues at all! I didn't even know about it till yesterday. I used HD Tune for checking a friend's portable that was acting up and then decided to check the state of my drive just for fun! Unfortunately, it had some sad news for me! :(
zapout said:
If it's still under pending sector, wait for some time, i also got this error last month on my WD blue, HDD fixed the pending sectors in around one week., install HD sentinal and turn on notification for any changes, (it'll alert u if theres any change in the pending sector..)

^^ So does that mean that the HDD will actually fix itself?? I am all to waiting but my only concern is that my drive should not fail without giving me atleast an hour to backup my important documents and photos. :O

BTW, Thanx a lot guys... :)

if hard drive can rewrite those sector then it'll be fixed, else the Reallocated sectors will be used as mentioned by "vivacious_tg".
this is what Hdd sentinel showed me

If SMART finds a problemmatic area (one or more sectors where the data is hard is hard to read or write), it tries to read the data and copy it (reallocate) to the spare area. The original location is then (internally) marked as bad and all further read/write operations pointing to the original location is then redirected to the spare area.

When the operation is completed, the original (bad) area is not accessible by software any more. Even re-install or complete re-format will not show problems because the original bad area is not used any more. That's why software (for example Windows' Scandisk) will not find problemmatic sectors. Only the hardware security erase function will access this area (clearing these sectors also).

I had two of those red things on my 2TB Green WD. Got it successfully RMA'ed (out and back to my house); 6 days. Back it up, and get rid of it.

asingh said:
I had two of those red things on my 2TB Green WD. Got it successfully RMA'ed (out and back to my house); 6 days. Back it up, and get rid of it.

^^ My Drive carries a 5 year warranty valid till April, 2015. So, if I get it RMAed, will the new drive carry a 5 year warranty or just 3 years?

Also, does WD offer any on site support? I mean, will I have to take the drive to them or will they collect it from my place? Thanx... :)

Also, if I plan to sell my drive As-Is, how much should I expect considering it has a 5 year warranty? I would really like to avoid the RMA hassles. :(

Gannu said:
2 years effective Jan 2 2012.

^^ Ohh... That is real bad... :(

Is it a wise option to get a 30GB Kingston SSD for ~ 3k and get the existing drive RMAed now. Or should I just get this one RMAed and stick to it??

Also, I am hoping that a 30GB Drive has about 27.93 GB of usable space, right? I will need it only for Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and MS Office plus some routine small programs. None exceeding 200MB disk space requirement.

@ neha, mate i am having a similar error, my WD 500gig drive have got 144 such error :'(

This is from last 1-2 weeks, and instead in decreasing, the value with rising with time :(

Any help ??

^
He himself is in the same mess as you.

Guys, just RMA them. I really do not get, why this is such a complex issue.

^ for me because, its a hassle and also because i don't have any alternate HDD to store the current datas on :(

^^ as the pending sector count goes on increasing, it is certain that your HDD will die in short span of time and then you will not able to back up anything.

Better to send your drive for RMA and if you are fortunate you will get the new drive with in a week as mentioned by asingh.

Back