User Guides Hardcode subtitles in AVI/DIVX for PMP's & other devices (other than your computer)

Please understand that to hard encode any subtitles, the whole movie needs to re-compressed. If you are looking for a quick fix, forget it, there isn't one... BUT if you are looking for an easy to follow guide.... read ahead.

This guide uses DIVX as it's base for re-encoding/re-compressing your video file... however I will let you know where you can substitute this with another AVI compatible codec (This assumes you know what a codec is, and that you already have that codec installed, if not... Don't worry this guide will show you how to do this without the need to know anything about codecs or compression using the DIVX codec.)

(A QUICK NOTE TO K-LITE USERS) If you have k-lite codec pack installed, you will need to run the codec tweak tool and remove or disable DIVX, and then re-install DIVX separately as directed below.

If you have DIVX installed, make sure you have the latest version... if not go ahead and upgrade your DIVX to the latest version.

Software you will need.

VirtualDub

VobSub

DIVX 6.8

Software Installation

- 1st install VirtualDub

This consists of extracting VirtualDub to a directory of your choice. VirtualDub does not have an installer so put the Program contents wherever you like.

- 2nd Install VobSub

During installation when given installation options.....

Expand the Plugins Component Options Dropdown, and select and check "TextSub for VirtualDub and Avisynth" Then navigate to the root directory of your VirtualDub folder when asked.

- 3rd install DIVX

Install with defaults (Or.....you may want to customize file associations, as this program will re-associate DIVX files with it's own player.) to the directory of your choice.

The Basics.

Just for the sake of trying to simplify, please place your subs and Movie file into the same directory.

Open up your movie file in Virtual Dub and lets begin.

Importing/Opening your subtitles to VirtualDub

In VirtualDub:

Go to the Video Drop Down Menu and select "Filters". If it is grayed out, make sure you also have "Full Processing Mode" selected.

In the Filters Window, select "Add".

Then in the Add Filter Window scroll down to "TextSub 2.3" and select it, then click on OK

Click on the Open Button and navigate to the Directory where you put the subtitles and select them, then click on Open.

Your window will look like this after the subs have been loaded.

If you have managed to select and open your subtitles, please skip the next section called "Converting Subtitles to Correct Format" and go straight to "Customizing Your Subs".

Converting Subtitles to Correct Format

If you are unable to see your subtitles, leave the TextSub 2.3 window open.

Then go to the Windows Start Menu>All Programs... and navigate to the shortcuts installed with VobSub and open up a program called SubResync.

Open up your subs by clicking on the "Open" button and navigating to the Directory where you put the subtitles earlier with the movie file.

Once the subs are open your window will look like this

Leave the default settings and click on "Save As" and save the subtitle file as either .sub or .ssa format. Check the save as window and manually add the file extension to the filename.

For example if you opened up a file called Legend.smi, you would manually change the name in the save as window to legend.ssa

Click on Save, and make sure you are saving to the same folder as the video file.

Go back to your open "TextSub 2.3" Filter window in VirtualDub and now select the newly saved subtitle file from SubResync.

Customizing Your Subs

You should be here

In the "TextSub 2.3" Filter window, click on the button labeled "Styles"

here you can customize your subtitles to your hearts content. i will not be going over this as it is pretty self explanatory.

When you are satisfied, either with the defaults, or with whatever changes you may have made.... Click on the OK button which will take you back to the Filters Window. Click on OK and you should be back in the VirtualDub main window.

Hard Encoding the Subtitles

I want to preface this by saying this is not a movie conversion guide, and I will only touch on some very basic stuff here. If you are looking for information on file conversion, I would suggest somew
here like Doom9

Under Video click on "Compression" and this will open up a new window for the Compression Properties, in the "Select Video Compression" Window.

Select DIVX 6.8 Codec (It may or may not have "2 Logical CPUs" written next to it)

(IF YOU WISH TO USE A CODEC OTHER THAN divx, PLEASE SELECT IT HERE, AND YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN AS FAR AS THE TWEAKING IS CONCERNED. REJOIN ME AT "Saving the Final File"

Click on "Configure"

You should now have the "DIVX codec" properties window open.

- If you started with a DIVX file

Select "Home Theater" under Certification profile, and then under Encoding presets, slide the bar all the way to the left towards SPEED and away from QUALITY. This does not mean that your movie will come out in bad quality, it should look the same as the original. All we need to do is re-encode to burn the Subtitles. Leave everything else at defaults unless you know what you are doing, and click on OK, then click on OK again in the "Select Video Compression" Window

- If you started with a format other than DIVX

..... or if you want to re-compress the file.

Select "Home Theater" under Certification profile, and under Encoding presets, slide the bar to about 2 thirds over to the right towards Quality. Leave everything else at defaults unless you know what you are doing, and click on OK, then click on OK again in the "Select Video Compression" Window

Saving the Final File

OK ... if all went well you should be back in the main VirtualDub Window, Under Audio, select "Direct Stream copy"

http://www.imgx.org/view/full/10706_nieri

Now go to the menu dropdown - File - "Save As AVI" give your file name and hit ok.

Wait for your file to finish.. and VOILA hard encoded subs.

Re; Hardcode subs to a movie,

Well guys..I've tried everything. Followed just about every tutorial there is and still cant get VirtualDub,VobSub,ReSynch or any other programme or combined programmes to work...all I want to do is simply add hardcoded subtitles to a movie (german speaking parts for which I have the srt file for) and still nothing works...I'm at a loss as to how people have done it. I've renamed the srt file the same as the avi file I've added the filters and followed the step by step tutorial's.....I give up..Just going to buy the movie and leave well alone this long winded way of getting to know what people are saying in a movie...simple answer...just buy it.

Nice tutorial! But just one little piece of info: I'm using Daniusoft video converter, which will identify the subtitles and it is having the option to hardcode it into the video. Just try it out.

Back