User Guides Guide To Uninstalling Fake Antivirus

Yes, u read the description right, Xp Antivitus Protection 2008, a fake antivirus software designed to infect a computer just after installing a particular video codec which by definition is bundled with a trojan, malware or a virus. The work of such fake antivirus product is to make money by selling a full version of the product, which would then disinfect the infections found.

The guide, below, for those who have or had installed such a rouge product, would help them uninstall it...

1. Use windows search from the start menu and search for Antivirus 2009. The rouge product would be found here...%AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\SoftLand Ltd\Antivirus 2009 %ProgramFiles%\Antivirus 2009 XP %UserProfile%\Start Menu\Antivirus2009y %ProgramFiles%\Win Antivirus 2009 %AppData%\Antivirus2009y %ProgramFiles%\Antivirus2009y %ProgramFiles%\ANTIVIRUS 2009. Please make sure that u copy this down on a notepad as you would need to delete these folders to get rid of it.

2. Open task manager and kill the Antivirus 2009 process, again kill the following processes.... lwpwer.exe xpa_2009.exe Antivirus-2009.exe av2009xp.exe Win Antivirus 2009.exe AntvrsInstall[1].exe AntvrsInstall.exe Antvrs.exe.

Please note, before doing step 2, you need to follow step 3

3. Navigate to Start-> Run, type cmd in the box and click Open
In the command window, type regsvr32 /u shlwapi.dll and press Enter
Next type regsvr32 /u wininet.dll and press Enter
Next Press Ctrl + Shift + ESC

Right click on antivirus.exe from the processes window and select the option to end process
Right click on antivirusUpdate.exe from the processes window and select the option to end process
Navigate to Start-> Search, then click on Files and Folders. Search for and delete the following files:
antivirus.exe
antivirusUpdate.exe
shlwapi.dll
wininet.dll
antivirus 2009.lnk
Uninstall antivirus 2009.lnk
antivirus 2009
antivirus.lnk
Uninstall antivirus.lnk
antivirus on the Web.lnk
antivirus.url
Navigate to Start-> Run, type regedit in the box and click Open
Delete antivirus 2009 in the following path: HKEY_USERS\Software\

4. Once you have done with step 2 and 3, please delete all folders and registry left out for the same and reboot the system.

Thats all, in 4 easy steps, you can easily get rid, if u have installed this rogue product to your system.

P.S. i found this manual in one of the google groups that i suscribe to and thaught would be appreciated, hence i thaught of editing and posting the same here so that i dont simply copy and paste the original stuff here....

Any views that you may have are welcome....

Back