User Guides Guide To Installing Mac OS X On A PC

While the so called "I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC" ad's being broadcasting on the US shores and the spoof aired on VH1's Best Week & also the fact that people @ Microsoft are working hard on there new project Zune / Argo / Xboy / Microsoft portable media player / whatever the hell it's called, People have received word that Microsoft may be taking this effort all the way to the end zone. And also It was fairly obvious that Zune's release would spark another Mac vs. PC embroilment.
So i thought why don't i join the gang and give both the MAC & PC users a suprise

ATTENTION YOU MUST OWN A Mac SYSTEM RUNNING MAC OS X Tiger BEFORE PERFORMING THIS GUIDE. IF YOU DON'T READ NO FURTHER.
-THANK YOU

Apple's Mac OS is one of the three main operating systems that users use to run their computers, the other two being Windows and Linux. Things erupted when news recently came in that Apple was switching to Intel-based processors instead of IBM's PowerPC chips. Apple has been developing their OS to work with x86 (Intel) based systems since 2000 and recently released developer kits to certain individuals. The x86-compatible OS was then "leaked" onto the internet where crackers then cracked the protection lock put on the OS by Apple. Now all over the internet you can find videos and pictures of people just like you and me who had installed Mac OS on their own PCs.

Like you, I was curious to do this myself and after a day's work of figuring things out with complicated guides, I was able to get Mac installed and running. This guide is based on how you can get Mac installed, so if you follow each step, you should be fine. Without further ado, here's Justin Nolan of 360hacker.net, who managed to crack the code in less then twelve hours, "uncomplicated" guide to installing Mac on a PC.

Requirements:

-PC with at LEAST an SSE2-capable processor - check with CPU-Z

Let's start by checking if you have a capable processor. After downloading CPU-Z, open it and view the "instructions." My particular so called testing
machine hosts a Northwood Pentium 4 which has MMX, SSE and SSE2 but not SSE3, that's fine, you can always patch Mac OS later to run programs that require SSE3 with SSE2. Just make sure you have at least SSE2.

The instructions per Jusin:

How do you do it?

First of all, you can’t install OS X on a new partition, it needs it’s own drive. For this guide Im installing it on my Sony Vaio TR2A. Since I only have one harddrive, it means I’m wiping windows and all my files in the process. You can easily follow the same steps but instead install it on a second harddrive in your PC. Here is how I have succesfully install OS X x86 NATIVELY on my laptop!

First of all, I think your CPU needs at LEAST sse2. For rosetta and to get itunes and other ppc apps working, you need sse3. My vaio has a Pentuim M, so no rosetta for me. Everything else works. Im posting this from the OS X x86 port of Firefox Wink

1. Download “VMWare files for patched Mac OS X Tiger Intel†from your favorite torrent site. (Hint: Use the search function).

2. Copy tiger-x86-flat.img from the archive to an external USB drive (it’s 6gb)

3. Download Ubuntu Live CD (link) … be sure you get the “Live CDâ€!!

4. Burn the ubuntu iso, stick it in your pc, and boot it! (make sure you have your bios set to boot to CD)

5. Once ubuntu boots and the gui finally comes up, hook up the USB drive you copied the 6gb image to. A window should pop up showing the contents of the drive. Take note of where its mounted. It should be /Devices/Yourdrivesvolumename

6. Open a terminal window and cd to that directory (/Devices/Yourdrivesvolumename). Do an “ls†to make sure you are in the right place (you should see the 6gb img file.

7. In the terminal window type:

dd bs=1048576 if=./tiger-x86-flat.img of=/dev/hda

Replace hda with the correct drive! If you only have one drive, its probably hda. Thats what mine was. You are about to erase this entire drive so make sure youve got it right and make sure you want to do this! Hit enter. It takes a while… took my vaio about 9 minutes.

8. When it’s done, remove the ubuntu disc and shut down the pc. Disconnect your usb drive. Thats it! When you power it back on, OS X should boot!

For whatever reason, mine hangs when its loading. If this happens to you, boot with the -x option (hit a button at the darwin screen when you boot your pc. enter “-x†and hit enter). Should work without any problems, and I dont see any restrictions being in safe mode.

You’ll notice there is a login screen, and you dont know the password! This image was created by “deadmoo†and we can easily change his password. Reboot the machine again. Again, hit a button at the darwin screen. This time type “-v†and hit enter. At the command prompt screen type:

sh /bin/sh
passwd curtis

(change the password to what you like)

passwd deadmoo
(change the passwrod to what you like)

Done! Now reboot once more, and again use the “-x†option. Everything should boot, and at the login screen enter your new password.

WELCOME TO THE OS X x86 CLUB! Look ma, no vmware!

Note: If you are installing this in a PC and have multiple drives, you dont need to use an external drive or linux distro. Simply dd the image in the same manner to any physical drive in your pc, and when its done boot to that drive and it should work. For windows users, there is a port of dd for windows you can use here.

DD for Windows - [Google It]

I messed around with this in vmware before installing natively, and I can tell you running it native is a million times faster! Its full speed. USB works, ethernet works, all the x86 software works. Enjoy!

This is not my guide, So use at your own risk like any other guides
Original guide is posted here
All credits Goes To Justin Nolan of 360 Insider, for this groundbreaking guide

Awesome man but can u o me a favor sen me a copy of tht 6gb file :p dual layer dvd? :p i'm on ialup and i really wanna try this.

@ X86
Read The Warning Before Trying This
ATTENTION YOU MUST OWN A Mac SYSTEM RUNNING MAC OS X Tiger BEFORE PERFORMING THIS GUIDE. IF YOU DON'T READ NO FURTHER.
-THANK YOU

U Even Get A Mini 3GB image file check that out too .....

I wont have any problems installing this.. afterall everyone starts from somewhere. i just ont have access to the image and i cant l with my sucky ialup. so if any members have the image pls o help me. ty much.

Well i am going to do tomoorrow so will post results tommorrow.

Thanks.I have been downloading the image file even before reading this.As andrew said it earlier it has been spread all over the internet it caught my attention too and as a mac lover i am sure to try this out.

Am Running Windows XP on an 80 GB sata hardisk....I have another 40 GB (nonsata)...which is unformatted now......Can i dual boot OSX and Xp. ? I have downloaded the osx image and dd for windows

Yes you can , infact since you've got two seperate hdd's you can install Mac OS seperately, without playing around with the boot loader :)

One More Question Though. I have an Amd Athlon 64 3200+ Venice core...Running on an Asus A8N VM Csm Sli I also got an Older p4 2.4 Ghz Northwood Running on Intel 865 Gbf. Will it work with the AMD meachine.

And what i meant by booting is when u install linux even on a sperate disk u will get a lilo or Grub boot loader but since OSX is not intended to be dual booted on a pc with windows i think i wud need a 3rd party tool.

please help am sorta confused

Ya ... I've installed it on an Athlon 3000+, just select the appropriate patch while installing

You can use Acronis OS selector, it will let you boot from xp, linux or mac :)

I installed Mac OS X on my Intel DG965RY mobo (GMA 3000 & sound) 2 months back.... But faced a lot of issues. Was eagerly waiting for some1 to break the Leopard kernel, that would have completely supported my system...but then I guess the Russians got caught announcing their achievement.

For all with my mobo or a few other IDE HDD/DVD... u may want to use a USB DVD or SATA HDD/DVD... Coz on my mobo I had to use a IDE-USB converter to make the Mac kernel detect them!!

If I know correctly, Apple has very stringent terms and regulations for installation of a Mac, and, owning a mac doesn't give you the right to install OS X in any computer you want.

This is the same as Windows XP, which is a 1 CD 1 PC system.

No way dude u wont get free DVD of OSX anywhere but when will u be using
the so called google and also kee u r eyes open u might fetch a copy when u r out an u know what i mean but those things will be illegal but if u want to give it a try u should know how to get one............
@Indranil :- How many people in india have a licensed copy of XP or any
other operating system or any software on there machine do u have one
i guess not u might be using one or other software/game illegaly.

This Is Asia man the biggest Piracy HUB across the globe.

Yes you can ... however there is no real use of doing that imo unless you wanna show off or install it for running some mac specific software

Back