Gsm Phone vs Cdma phone , pros n cons

Mr India

Disciple
i have seen that people prefer gsm over cdma in india . want to gain knowledge as to why . the cdma phones are also cheaper and i can get good deals and get some nice andoid phones with decent specs . can you tell me the pros and cons of each ? ?

CDMA has got much better network; hardly any congestion. Plus call rates are cheaper as compared to GSM. The downside is that you don't have multiple providers, if you want to swap. Also handset flexibility is a major issue.

CDMA has got much better network; hardly any congestion. Plus call rates are cheaper as compared to GSM. The downside is that you don't have multiple providers, if you want to swap. Also handset flexibility is a major issue.

does anyone except reliance provide cdma services in india??not the broadband ones but for the phones? last i heard even tata pulled out of the cdma auctions..as for the original post..most telecom operators in the world have deployed gsm over cdma..also as far as i know cdma doesnt support transmitting data and making voice calls at the same time..

Tata still gives it's services in the areas it was already serving. Virgin is almost dead, MTS barely exists. Reliance can be said the only true CDMA operator, and worthy enough to opt.

Personally I'll always prefer GSM over CDMA, reason, flexibility plus extra features.

And I can't comment on parallel data + voice usage capability of CDMA.

It finally comes down to your preference.. I have been using cdma for 8yrs now.. And the call clarity is excellent.. Places where gsm signal doesnt reach cdma does.. So coverage is also quite good..

i have seen that people prefer gsm over cdma in india . want to gain knowledge as to why . the cdma phones are also cheaper and i can get good deals and get some nice andoid phones with decent specs . can you tell me the pros and cons of each ? ?

Well, I have been using CDMA over 3 years and GSM from last few months. Call clarity and signal stretgth are excellent in CDMA. On negative side, handsets are extremely few and ther are expensive as compared to low end Android GSM handsets. If you compare features at same price then CDMA stands nowhere near GSM. GSM has better plans in many cases while earlier it used to be opposite. This is almost a deal-breaker.

2nd, I feel no pain in earhole and side of eye even if I talk for two hours on any decent CDMA handset whereas GSM gives intense pain in earhole and eyeside skin starts to stretch but one of my friend feels pain is using CDMA and many agree on same. (I have Samsung Digirap CDMA and NOKIA 1280 and I have tested this) Disregarding this aspect I will still prefer CDMA for its signal strength and call quality. It feels like person is sitting next to you talking on CDMA. I have not missed more than 5 calls in 3 years in using CDMA but on GSM I have missed 5 last month because of signal strength.

BOTTOM LINE: If you want to talk only, get CDMA. If you want to have full featured phones with lots of options, then get GSM

With phone like the Galaxy S3 CDMA and EVO 4G LTE, you can access voice, data and texts simultaneously. So, its more of a handset dependent feature for CDMA networks

Good point 2kool2btrue . We don't know about the future of CDMA though. Qualcomm has stopped all developments of UMB (4G CDMA) and investing all money on 4G/LTE instead. 4G/LTE is based on GSM/EDGE and UMTS/HSPA. Verizon is on same path too. If Qualcomm could have made CDMA open like GSM standards rather than asking for huge patent fees then future could have been different.

I have been using both CDMA and GSM for more than a decade now, and the call quality and coverage in CDMA is much better than GSM. Reliance has also very cheap talk plans. No complains.
Getting a decent CDMA handset is a different story, though. I had recently bought Samsung ACE Duos CDMA+GSM dual sim. It is a royal pain in the A$$ because of low user memory and RAM; it is so darn slow. Additionally whenever I keep the data mode 'on' the battery drains off very fast. So most of the time i have to keep the data mode off to keep the phone using. Sometimes i keep the phone hooked to my Laptop and then keep the data mode on :)... I have never experienced any dropped calls due to internet usage (Whatsup!)..
Strangely, the new update to Samsung Kies does not let me use the software any more... "this phone is not supported"... so i am not sure what Samsung is doing about this.
I am looking for the HTC dual sim CDMA...hope to find some good reviews about that..

Back