Gnex or Micromax Canvas HD A116

Disciple
GuyZ,
After yesterday's fiasco in buying the HTC ONE X , i finally won a bid for Galaxy nexus Mint condition for 270$. However with the launch of Micromax Canvas HD A116 in 3 days time, it has put me in a dilemma as to which phone should i go for ?
Gnex has lots of custom roms and even Ubuntu are in the process of making a custom rom for them, but after seeing Canvas HD'S specs am blown off....

How is the micromax support in case i go for it.. Will there be any custom roms available for Canvas HD???

Kindly help

For $270, the GNex is a no-brainer. Super AMOLED HD display, official Google support and plethora of custom ROMs,

For the Canvas HD, expect a few custom ROMs based on the stock ROM or a few AOSP based ROMs with several features missing. Don't get me wrong, it's a great device for its price point. But comparing it with the GNex with its mighty support and decent hardware, you should easily opt for the GNex.

^^ Dude, Dont compare GNex with mmx. MMX used MediaTek Quad Core, which is equal to some Dual Core SoC's out there. Quad Core is just market jargon for MMX to sell this phone. Also MMX support is PITA in most of the places and their no-replacement policy will surely an big-NO for their products.

Go for Gnex, enjoy the vanialla Android awesomeness, with loads of Custom ROMs to play with and have peace of mind with their build quality.

One more thing my oldie GNex used to play all high end games with ease, i am not sure to what extent MMX devices has games compatibility in play store with those games.
Mediatek SoC has four Cortex A7 which more or less equal to TIOMAP Dual Core Cortex A9 do consider custom rom support as well if at all you are flashoholic like me.

Cortex A15>>>Cortex A9>>Cortex A7

Cheers !

you can also consider the Motorola Atrix HD. Should be available for ~300$ on ebay. Cheaper if you bid. You get a much better SoC (Snapdragon S4) vs the galaxy nexus. Also, expandable memory and a better camera. On the flipside, custom ROM support is almost non existent.

I was actually inclined towards atrix hd but since therz no community support i dropped the idea. Also bid for htc one x at&t version.... Lost the bid in the last second..... Seems gnex is the way to go......
Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Am getting the gnex shipped by ppobox. Do i hv to declare the original price of the phone or can i reduce the price of the phone while creating the unique package id so as to avoid huge octroi charge ?

What i meant to ask is if my phone costs 270$. And if i put the cost of the phone as 120$ while creating a new shipment on ppobox.com to save on octroi, will i be caught for putting wrong amount

One more thing my oldie GNex used to play all high end games with ease, i am not sure to what extent MMX devices has games compatibility in play store with those games.
Mediatek SoC has four Cortex A7 which more or less equal to TIOMAP Dual Core Cortex A9 do consider custom rom support as well if at all you are flashoholic like me.

Cortex A15>>>Cortex A9>>Cortex A7

Cheers !
Well.. Micromax's A89 plays pretty much everything available in the play store. I've tried NFS MW & dead trigger.. It didn't stutter..not one bit.. I expect the A116 to do much better since it scores better on the Nenamark 2 benchmark ~40 fps which, by any standard, is a very decent score (considering the display resolution).. Apart from all this, GNex FTW!

I know the Micromax pricing and features might entice you to buy it, but from my experience in handling the >10k micromax phones I have come to learn that they dont have quality.

You see there are very tiny things that keep the biggies from low brand companies, which they wont emulate in any way. For example there are issues regarding backlight bleeding, network errors, poor service, reboots, sub-par quality. Micromax has still a lot to do to fill in these gaps.

So IMHO go for Gnex coz it rules.

I know the Micromax pricing and features might entice you to buy it, but from my experience in handling the >10k micromax phones I have come to learn that they dont have quality.
You see there are very tiny things that keep the biggies from low brand companies, which they wont emulate in any way. For example there are issues regarding backlight bleeding, network errors, poor service, reboots, sub-par quality. Micromax has still a lot to do to fill in these gaps.
So IMHO go for Gnex coz it rules.

I had a Samsung Galaxy S Duos and it progressively got laggy and slow until it became almost unusable. I dumped it and bought the Micromax A110, have been using it for about two months now and have never experienced any of the issues that you describe. I would suggest waiting for the reviews on the A116, but if they're uniformly good like they have been for the A110, there is no reason why you shouldn't go for it.

I had a Samsung Galaxy S Duos and it progressively got laggy and slow until it became almost unusable. I dumped it and bought the Micromax A110, have been using it for about two months now and have never experienced any of the issues that you describe. I would suggest waiting for the reviews on the A116, but if they're uniformly good like they have been for the A110, there is no reason why you shouldn't go for it.

Hmm.. Maybe I am getting too obnoxious. You're right. We should wait for the the reviews to start falling in. Cheers.

Hmm.. Maybe I am getting too obnoxious. You're right. We should wait for the the reviews to start falling in. Cheers.

Already brought the Gnex by bidding for it on ebay. Getting it shipped thru ppobox. Shoudl reach my hnads in 2-3 days time. I think the whole Canvas2 HD mania will subside once GALAXY S4 is launched. Still waiting for Canvas HD reviews though. Hope its a success :)

Back