Budget 51-70k Gaming and Rendering Rig - Core Components

artikle

Unknown Member
ex-Mod
Questions
  1. What is your budget?
    • 51-70k (As less as possible)
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel Core2Quad 8400 2.66GHz
      Motherboard - Intel DG31PR Motherboard
      RAM - Transcend DDR2 800MHz 4GB (2X2GB)
      PSU - Beetel 450W PSU
      Monitor - Samsung SyncMaster 2233 22inch 1080p
    • 500GB HDD
    • Generic Mercury Mid tower Cabinet
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Samsung Syncmaster 2233 22 inch 1080p
    • 500GB HDD
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - AMD 8320/8350 or Intel 4440/4570
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard with best VFM and over clocking ability in case of AMD.
    • GPU - Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X 4GB DDR5 OC
    • PSU - Corsair/Seasonic/Antec 600 watts?
    • RAM - 8GB Corsair/Gskills 1600MHz
    • CABINET - not able to decide between micro ATX like CM Elite 130 or a mid/full tower
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Might add 128 GB SSD in near future
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Open to online purchase
    • Visakhapatnam / Hyderabad
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes, if worth it
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Rendering - After Effects mostly, Photoshop, 3ds max
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • HTPC
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Hoping to play at ultra settings in current games and also wish to future proof.
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1080p
    2. Desktop - 1080p
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes(depends)
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit
    • Windows8 64 bit
Thing is Im reading lot of mixed responses for intel vs amd. One one hand there is talk that AMD with its 8 cores(though less single core performance) is better at rendering and also that future games are going to use more cores with Ubisoft recently announcing Watchdogs requires atleast 8350 or i7 3770k for Ultra Settings, and on the other hand, most people seems to be pro intel and it has lower consumption and better single core performance. I'm leaning towards AMD somehow, but would need more clarity. Next the idea that 8320 and 8350 are virtually similar at lower cost and no binning and a little overclock will put the 8320 in the same place.
I want to build it in as less as possible without compromising on performance. is it possible to squeeze all this into 65k or so? I need to sell my 320GB PS3, current desktop and laptop to make this happen.

Also is there anyway to transform my current desktop for meaningful gaming?

Thanks in advance.[DOUBLEPOST=1396335097][/DOUBLEPOST]How about this? :
Asus M597 EVO R2.0(8000)
AMD 8320/8350(9000/12500)
Corsair 1600MHz RAM 2x4GB(5000-6000)
Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x(36000)
PSU(cant decide yet)(4000)
Cabinet (cant decide yet)(4000)
Cooler- required?
This seems to be overshooting the budget a bit :-\

Last edited:
If you want a pure gaming rig go for a Intel based rig. Else AMD will better suit your purpose

AMD FX-8150 11k
Asus M597 EVO R2.0 8.2k
Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz RAM 2x4GB 5.8k
Sapphire r9 290 tri x OC 36k
Antec VP650P 4.5K
Cooler Master hyper 212 Evo 2.6k
This will be an overclocakble rig. A cooler is absolutely necessary for overclocking. So is a good cabinet. If you can extend your budget go for NZXT Phantom 410.

Asus M597 EVO R2.0 8000
AMD 8320 9000
Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz RAM 2x4GB 5800
Sapphire/HIS R9 290 Tri-X 36000
PSU Antec VP650P 4500
Cabinet Corsair Carbide SPEC-01 3800
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 2700
TOTAL -69,800.

Finally purchased the following
Intel Xeon E3 1245 v3
Gigabyte H87M-D3H
Sapphire R9 290 290 Tri-X OC
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz
Antec VP650P
Cooler master K350

Assembled it. All is good except one important problem. I'm not able to fully insert any HDMI cable into the HDMI port on the GPU because it is being obstructed by the cabinet near the expansion slot. Currently I shaved off the casing of a spare HDMI cable and it fit in. But I didn't find a permanent solution. I'm surprised that the case is designed this way. Can anyone help me. @bssunil

Why don't you complain it to CM ? It is their design afterall and you may still get a chance to switch to another CM chasis rather than this one.

Added 3 120mm cooler master silent fans according to the air flow diagram of the case. But still, CPU temps are reaching 90-95 while playing Crysis 3. This is worrying me as the GPU temps are pretty moderate and normal even while gaming. Any solutions? I was told that stock cooler is more than enough for intel processor especially since there is no OC involved but I'm worried now. I don't have the budget for a CPU cooler right now and also don't know whether it will fit properly in my case. What might be the problem? Why are the temperatures so high?[DOUBLEPOST=1398001382][/DOUBLEPOST]Idle temps are about 40-45 C

Just the TIM that is already there on the stock cooler. I didnt apply anything else. Anyway, i tried to adjust the push pins of the cooler and tightened them and right now Im seeing max temps of 79C running prime95 in blend mode as opposed to 92C previously. I can see how CM 212 is good for the temps but i was not going to buy a cooler in the first place since the intel cooler was supposed to be enough. Else I would have gone with an 8320 with CM 212 so that i would also be able to overclock.

Re-seat your HSF. Looks like the cooler isn't making proper contact.
What app are you using to measure temps?
I'm using Real Temp for the CPU. Thanks. Will try re-seating. What are the usual temperatures?[DOUBLEPOST=1398058952][/DOUBLEPOST]And crap... CM Hyper 212 EVO will not fit in my CM k350 case.

Last edited:
Couldn't find proper thermal paste around here so bought a new cooler master cpu cooler with thermal paste pre applied for Rs.450. It has a slightly larger heat sink than stock Intel heat sink. Running prime95 in blend mode, Intel Burn Test and Intel Diagnostic Utility , all run at 100% load with temperatures at 83 to 85 or 87. But games like Crysis 3 and Battlefield 4 are taking the temperatures to 88-90C even though they are using only about 50% of the processor. This time I can confirm that the heat sink was placed correctly, the seating and everything is perfect. But still the heat. This is getting pretty frustrating. And Im unable to find Cooler Master Hyper TX3 as it is out of stock on flipkart and badly priced on amazon.
I actually shouldn't have to use a different cooler. why so much heat? :( Please, someone solve this for me :( @bssunil

Buy CM Hyper 101 or CM Hyper TX4 and check the temps.
Do you mean T4? Anyway Hyper 101 is not in stock in flipkart and though it is available in amazon, do you think it would be sufficient, especially considering TX3 is only 1500-1600 while this is 1000? Anyway why are my temperatures bad in the first place? :(

Just a question, what is the software you are using for temperature monitoring? Try the Everest and recheck. Sometimes a bad sensor gives wrong info.

Back