file is of different machine problem

6pack

ex-Mod
Had to restore my hdd with an image file two days back since it crashed. Everything was working fine till today evening till i shut pc down due to powercut. After starting the comp I'm getting this error on most of control panel items and programs that i try to launch. Not getting it on firefox or IE or some stanalone programs like imgburn, windows media player classic, etc.

---------------------------
Control Panel
The image file C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe is valid, but is for a machine type other than the current machine.
This above error happens even when i right click on desktop and choose properties also.

getting this on acdsee too. didnt check other programs.

C:\Program Files (x86)\ACD Systems\ACDSee\9.0\ACDSee9.exe
The image file C:\Program Files (x86)\ACD Systems\ACDSee\9.0\ACDSee9.exe is valid, but is for a machine type other than the current machine.

seems to crop up when rundll32 is required i guess. so what can i do now?
besides my xp installation cd has become corrupt in some sectors and is sp1. if i manage to install it again then i'll have to download sp2 again :( and to top it i have xp x64 edition.

any inputs?

I'm having the same problem. The only way I have been able to sometimes get around it is by right clicking a shortcut, properties, advanced, run with different credentials. It has worked for my applications, but I still can't use the control panel and other programs.

But, my errors started during normal computer use,in the middle of working fine.

Well restoring from backup images always leads to some problems or the other. Best way is to just format and install again, instead of banging your head against the monitor again and again :p

You also both 32 bit and 64 bit XP versions installed? If not, does the backup you restored was from a 32bit system (if you are using a 64bit system) or vice versa?

ACDSee's location says "Program Files (x86)" where x86 means a 32 bit installation, but you have mentioned you have x64?

^^ yup i have win x64 installed. Program files (x86) is default path where non 64bit programs get installed. I only have x64 version installed. and image file is a month old.

even right clicking a shortcut and running as admin gives same error.
I searched the net for this error and only thing i could find was people saying that this error comes when you run a 16/32 bit app in x64.

But does this mean that even the control panel wont work now, since i get errors even on cp items?

@rushabh, dude just few hours back i was staring at beautiful japanese idols in acdsee before the shutdown. every thing used to work fine until then. Also my cd is corrupt u know.

btw i'm thinking some m$ update must be the culprit cause i remember 1 update being installed before the shutdown. cant use restore since i get the error on that too :mad:

nope, reg repair utility might make things worse. thinking of backing up image file again. if it works then fine. otherwise i might have to buy vista which i dont want :(

Success!

I ran hijackthis and fixed entries related to spools.exe. I wouldn't have gone in that direction without Fahrenheit's suggestion, so thanks a billion!

Back