DOTA 2 - Discussion Thread

Valve + Icefrog = Awesomeness :D :party:
Kommentar anyone?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

EDIT: Official website and Beta Signups Here: The International - Dota 2 - Home

Dota 2 Championships: First Public Showing at gamescom

Valve today announced The International. This tournament will
be the first time Dota 2 is shown in public, and will take place
August 17th -21st at gamescom in Cologne, Germany.

The International features the 16 best Dota teams in the world
competing in the Dota 2 Championships through a group stage,
double elimination playoff format over the course of Cologne’s
five-day trade show.
The tournament will be broadcast in four languages (Chinese,
German, Russian, and English) free of charge. The winning team
will receive $1 million.
“The International is the first public Dota 2 event and will give the
tens of millions of gamers playing Dota around the world their first
look at the new game,†said Gabe Newell, president and founder
of Valve. “I have had the good fortune to watch the competitors as
they prepare for the tournament, and the level of play is
extraordinary.â€

In addition to the cash prizes awarded by Valve, NVidia is providing
all the hardware for the event.
Dota 2 will be available for the PC and Mac later this year.

EDIT: The tournament is over and the winner is NA'VI who walk out with a million dollar cash prize :).

I signed up for the beta only like 6 hours after it was started...hope I get selected. I hope they don't give preference to players based on how many games you own... or from specific region... I only have CS and TF2 on Steam :/.

inb4 valve time.

One of the beta tester announced that the set up file comes around 3GB for DotA 2, that's way too high, I signed up within half an hour after they posted for Beta :p

^The game will be big man ... the graphics ... the sound effects with all the 100s of heroes having their own unique sounds unlike dota 1 ... :D .... also many more features of reconnecting to a disconnected game and what not :D !!! I am dying to play this :D ...

I know the game has a very good Visual when compared to other games (LOL, HON) but still 3GB is way to high for a Multi-Player.... And more over the player disconnect and reconnect, AI auto taking the Player character who left the game in-between everything is there in LOL and still its around 900MB to the max, maybe the new Dominion map may increase the size of the game to 1.5 GB to the max..... Considering the size 3GB its way to high according to me....

Vibu said:
I know the game has a very good Visual when compared to other games (LOL, HON) but still 3GB is way to high for a Multi-Player.... And more over the player disconnect and reconnect, AI auto taking the Player character who left the game in-between everything is there in LOL and still its around 900MB to the max, maybe the new Dominion map may increase the size of the game to 1.5 GB to the max..... Considering the size 3GB its way to high according to me....
Hehe. You obviously haven't played Team Fortress 2. That's 10 GB.

Developers don't care about high file sizes anymore, since everybody but us indians have high speed unlimited connections.

Gannu said:
Valve could have included a small single player campaign. :(

I presume you havn't played Dota much Gannu? (Pardon me for my ignorance, if you have infact played the game before! :p)

It cannot have a single player campaign as the game, from it's humble beginnings, was always designed to be team based with elements from both rpg, and rts games mixed together (Making the model unique). Although, AFAIK, Dota 2 will have a better dedicated bot support than Dota with which you can play singleplayer (to practice and get to know the game, before jumping into the multiplayer bandwagon! :D). Even this limited single player functionality is provided as a means to eventually land up the player in the online/LAN "mainstream" that the dota community has always been about! :) (Bots can never replace the intuitiveness and versatility that a human mind can have, including stupidity and suicidal tendencies I might add :p)

Hmmm am too playing Team Fortress 2 :) Team Fortress is completely a different genre, correct me if am wrong bro... FPS and Strategy games differ a lot bro...

kvikram said:
Hehe. You obviously haven't played Team Fortress 2. That's 10 GB.

Developers don't care about high file sizes anymore, since everybody but us indians have high speed unlimited connections.

theDemonHunter said:
I presume you havn't played Dota much Gannu? (Pardon me for my ignorance, if you have infact played the game before! :p)

Nope you are absolutely right. I haven't played DOTA before and missed out on Warcraft III as well assuming this was more like a MMORPG title than the regular RTS one. :(

Back