Graphic Cards DISCUSSION: AMD cards are simply BETTER than nVidia's

Status
Not open for further replies.

comp@ddict

Skilled
I'll kick off the discussion with AMD's HD6000 and nVidia's GTX500 series comparision. I'll be comparing the HD6900 and GTX570/580 cards only, as they are the true champs in powering through every game thrown at them, and also, champions at DX11 implementations such as tessellation etc. too.

HD6970

- 1536 SPs

- 2.6 billion transistors

- 389 mm^2 die size

- 256-bit memory

GTX570

- 320 CUDA cores

- 3 billion transistors

- 520 mm^2 die size

- 320-bit memory

Going by the tech specs, it all seems merry for GTX570 and HD6970 seems to be a big under-dog right?

Well, we all have been proved wrong, because when it comes to games, DX9 or 10/11, HD6970 has shined brilliantly everywhere, even in nVidia sponsored TWIMTBP titles!

And today, I will be comparing the two of them using another TWIMTBP title, a BIG one, surely you must have heard if it!

CRYSIS 2

And hence, nVidia cards not only perform better, but have better scaling under SLi too than CFx. Sad, really because I never saw an AMD sponsored title having nVidia card issues (DA:II exception, got fixed with driver update).

But, now we go on a HEAD-TO-HEAD comparision, of the PERFORMANCE DROP from going DX9 to DX11 renderer mode under "ULTRA SETTINGS".

Shall we?

2vt7ion.png

35m1vkj.png

Lets compare:

CARD DX9 DX11 % Drop:

HD6970 37.1 32.6 12.13

GTX570 50.2 38.8 22.71

Well, what do we have here? nVidia's card beaten in it's own game? Nearly a DOUBLE HIT in PERFORMANCE upon enabling DX11 render mode!

I think you guys also are coming to the same conclusion, despite having disadvantages, AMD's card came through, and I feel with a proper driver release, the CFx scaling can be ironed out. It just feels off-late AMD has been focused on Llano (well of course! DUH!) and have been releasing drivers and hotfixes for it only. Can't blame them, it's a big thing.

Well, don't mean to start wars, just trying to draw a conclusion. Thank you for reading.

No matter how pure your intentions are this is going to turn into a mud slinging contest pretty fast. If it doesn't, then it goes to show how much TE has matured along with its members, i hope this is the case.

I'm not a fanboi, not even close, im a pure opportunist when it comes to my PC cuz that has proved to be much more effective than revering a brand regardless of its performance and VFM and from that platform comes my reply.

Nvidia sucks... big time.

The above statement does not imply that Nvidia as a whole sucks rather it infers that AMDs architectural gamble had paid off and made Jen Hsung eat his own can of "whoop ass" in the process.

This was predicted by almost every one in the know how of the chip business Anand lal Shimpi, Charlie Dem-no-one-can-pronounce-my-name-properly guy and the bloke at bit-tech.net and some gurus at XS.org.

However the same could be said for AMD or more precisely ATI 3 gen back. The 3xxx series was abysmal at best and the 8xxx from nvidia was touted to be the pinnacle of GPU engineering.

Then came Nvidia's blatantly idiotic design choices and AMDs huge gamble on fractional architecture, combined they planted the seed of nVidia's downfall. The DX11 benchmark is a sad commentary in and of itself.

But the one thing people easily overlook is that nVidia is not AMD . nVidia has to have a great gpu to stay afloat even though the mobile processor business seems to be doing well. So they would fight back eventually and in all fairness take back the Crown, i sincerely hope so.

So for now, the pixels is not so green on the other side.

P.S this is exactly what 11 cups of coffee and 36hrs of sleep deprivation does to a man.

^^

You post really really well. Repped + liked + posted compliment. :)

Along with the finite details you mentioned, ATI also thought out their price points quite well. And started to aggressively push multi-GPU in single PCB designs. nVidia continued to maintain the higher expenses accelerators -- and totally lost it pertaining to thermals and power band efficiency. In terms of raw speed, ATI was behind, but just behind. The price+thermal envelope+power metrics bundle pushed them ahead. Slowly, but gradually.

Well, what do we have here? nVidia's card beaten in it's own game? Nearly a DOUBLE HIT in PERFORMANCE upon enabling DX11 render mode!

Your point?

AMD 6970 is more efficient than nVidia GTX 570 because it takes a lower hit in performance when switching to DX11?

fps of the GTX570 is still higher. They cost about the same. Both overclock, sometimes well and sometimes not so well.

I don't see the argument yet, because the nVidia solution still is quicker. Let's not talk about the future, because that's blue sky. If I'm buying *today* using only the graphs you posted here, the GTX is the better bet.

AMD 6970 is more efficient than nVidia GTX 570 because it takes a lower hit in performance when switching to DX11?

fps of the GTX570 is still higher.

Umm, please

And today, I will be comparing the two of them using another TWIMTBP title, a BIG one, surely you must have heard if it!

CRYSIS 2

And hence, nVidia cards not only perform better, but have better scaling under SLi too than CFx. Sad, really because I never saw an AMD sponsored title having nVidia card issues (DA:II exception, got fixed with driver update).

read

^^^Its befuddling bruv, u seem to contradict and contraindicate yourself. I can see the big picture AMD VS nVidia in TWIMTBP titles. But your post makes as much as sense to me as a Picasso, im sure its great but just not lucid enough for mere mortals like me.

@asingh, thanks for the compliment Mod, learned a lot from TE and T(minus)TE, think its time to show my progress card and be proud of my grade. And as far the pricing, a real ace in the hole if there ever was one.

Umm, please

I understand that as a mumble, not an answer. If you do not wish to answer, do not quote the post and not provide one. Stay silent and I'll know you do not have anything to say.

This is not discussion or correct forum decorum, and I'm surprised to see it from a member who's been here so long, I can excuse newbies for this kind of behaviour.

Have a nice life.

quixand said:
There is not enough information in this article to come to any conclusion, at all.
Actually all there is, is a pretty fair conclusion. What there is not is, a crowd that would be convinced about something that they are not already convinced of.

cranky said:
I understand that as a mumble, not an answer. If you do not wish to answer, do not quote the post and not provide one. Stay silent and I'll know you do not have anything to say.

This is not discussion or correct forum decorum, and I'm surprised to see it from a member who's been here so long, I can excuse newbies for this kind of behaviour.

Have a nice life.
Try harder.

Read my post again.

The quote below "umm please" which you sooo cleverly caught, was the answer

@ comp@ddict and cranky : Hey guys you both seem to be old members of TE... One is an overloaded member and other is an explosive member, :) dont fight on comments...

@ comp@ddict and cranky : Hey guys you both seem to be old members of TE... One is an overloaded member and other is an explosive member, dont fight on comments...

I'm not fighting, just asking him to read my full post, if he had in the first place, he would have written a childish cocky mock-up about me don't you think?

Here, this is the post I want him to read, in full:

fps of the GTX570 is still higher.

Umm, please

CRYSIS 2

read

THe 2nd quote is my explanation, which I had given in my article, which he would have known had he read.

comp@ddict said:
Well, don't mean to start wars, just trying to draw a conclusion.
You drew that conclusion because the 6970 fared better in Crysis 2 Dx11 mode? And what of the rest of the titles?

@ Comp - Please include comparison of frame rates, too.

Very frankly, though this is always will start fame wars, a good "head to head" thread backed up by relevant data will only help folks, Specially when we have so many people here who have gone through a couple of GPUs.

For example I'd love to see a well written GTX 460 v AMD 6850 from an end user's perspective.

Leave it, leave it, leave it... better option is getting some real world benchies for both cards and then posting the outputs... Anybody owning almost same rigs can run benchmarks and post their observations here, I guess thats a better idea rather drawing a rough conclusion...

That FPS drop is not good enough data to compare the performance of the cards or for drawing any conclusions of that nature.

The only conclusion that I can draw from the FPS drop is that Crytek didn't have enough time to strategically de-optimize the DX11 render path for AMD cards. While TWIMTBP titles are deliberately de-optimized for AMD GPU's, its always done in a subtle manner that isn't immediately apparent and doesn't affect the sales of the game. So, finding strategic locations for de-optimizing takes time and considering Crytek released the DX11 render path as a patch, they might not have enough time to focus on it. So we see a relatively minor drop only.

Personally, I think its a bad idea to rely on data from a TWIMTBP title whether its for an nVidia GPU or for an AMD GPU.

quixand said:
@ Comp - Please include comparison of frame rates, too.

Very frankly, though this is always will start fame wars, a good "head to head" thread backed up by relevant data will only help folks, Specially when we have so many people here who have gone through a couple of GPUs.

For example I'd love to see a well written GTX 460 v AMD 6850 from an end user's perspective.
A person who has used both the cards on same system can give the best observation... provided that he uses atleast a core i5 or phenom 965

@comp@ddict: It would be better if you can post them in real tabular format. The format of the table you have quoted is pretty hard to read.

CARD| DX9 |DX11 |%Drop

HD6970 |37.1 |32.6 |12.13

GTX570 |50.2 |38.8 |22.71

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back