Desktop effects cannot be enabled!!

Hello guys i need some help. I installed ubuntu 10.10 on a virtual machine on my laptop. Installtion went smooth. But when i tried to apply special effects it says searching for drivers and then get error "Desktop effects cannot be enabled". I have an ati gpu. 4670.

I downloaded all the updates necessary and also tried to install ENVYNG, but it says depedency unsatisfiable: python(<2.6). So what to do now.

Even my compiz is updated...

PS: I am a noob in linux and this is my first installation of linux OS. I am not very good at commands so please if you can give explanation with commands would be grateful.

Thanks..

Which Software virtualization are you using? If Vmware, you have to enable Hardware acceleration for video on the VMWare control panel setings for each VM.

dOm1naTOr said:
Which Software virtualization are you using? If Vmware, you have to enable Hardware acceleration for video on the VMWare control panel setings for each VM.

I enabled it.. still no luck
agantuk said:

I went through the ubuntu natty link mentioned in your thread..it did go smoothly till this point

$ sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb

then after doing this
$ sudo aticonfig --initial -f
, i got message no ati adapters found..

I even restarted and ran the above command aticonfig --initial -f but no luck. I had never thought Ubuntu graphics driver installation would be APITA!!! Seriously!!

Any heads up by linuxtechies out there..

Back