Dell U2312HM review, compared to U2412M

So i had a huge problem with Dell India, they said they did not have any replacement for my faulty U2412M "Switched off automatically" and wanted to hand me a S2440L instead :(

Just like that i would have gone from a 2 month old U2412M to a S2440L which was not even an IPS monitor. After a long long vocal battle which i covered here the company decided to give me a brand new U2312HM instead with 3 months extended warranty. Since i had no alternative to get my money i agreed for the U2312HM otherwise my money would be in a lock state within Dell and a suit against them would have cost me both time and money.

Apparently U2312HM is expensive now and is marked at 16-17K, i bought my U2412M for 20.5K so it was a exceptionable loose.

-------------------------------------

In this review i will compare the U2312HM to the experiences of the U2412M and see if it is a good alternative.

I got the U2312HM in a similar box as the U2412M

The seal is still intact does that mean its a new unit?

There was a huge gash on the side i was almost ready to give it back but was told to open it by Dell CC.

The normal stuff

The stand is also pretty similar to the U2412M

Thank god the screen is not damaged

NO DEAD PIXELS my U2412M had 1 dead pixel :p love this clean panel.

No ghosting that chainsaw looked perfect the camera made it blurry "Stupid phone"

IPS Glow similar to U2412M more or less

Max brightness in a dark room to see backlight bleed, its less than U2412M but not all that much

Now lets compare it to my 2 month old U2412M, the U2312HM shows a cleaner picture what i mean is that the anti-glare is less pronounced. Its the best when you look up close to the screen like i do in NFS HP, BF3, Etc. U2412M was a tall screen much taller than the U2312HM i have to put the U2312HM in its max height position to get a similar feel where as i used to put U2412M in its mid position. The brightness of the two is a very close fight but i feel the U2312HM is brighter, uniformity is again a mixed bag like the U2412M its brighter in the right bottom same as my old U2412M. The screen size is similar width wise but as i said the height is sorely missed, around an inch less height wise. Playback of HD movies is awesome there are no black bars if i stretched the video in the U2412M the resulted ratios are messed up. Gaming is a mixed bag 16:10 "U2412M" is great for games that support it but most games don't as a result i would need to use other resolutions such as 1080P which again looked weird, there are hacks present for 1200P but again its a try and miss. There is basically no difference if you get a U2412M or a U2312HM for movies.

For Internet and games its a different story, if you are fine with finding resolution fix's for 1200P support the U2412M is the better monitor. Even games that dont do anything with the added height get a sense of realism that is not seen in the U2312HM because of less screen height, i would say a big arse 4:3 screen would be my paradise oh well. Now as for the internet the added height is a god sent its more important here than in games, less need to scroll and you can see a hell of a lot more than the U2312HM

Is the U2312HM better than U2412M well no not at all if i had the chance i would buy the U2412M over the U2312HM, the 3-4K difference i think its justified for the U2412M you get the extra height 16:10 which you dont get from 24inch 16:9 screens like say the S2440L. Dell disappointed me by replacing my U2412M with a U2312HM but i am kinda happy by the pixel perfect screen and low levels of back light bleed. Still the IPS glow sometimes bites me in the arse :p same as all IPS screen. I would have preferred a cash refund and might have bought a TV to use as a monitor glade i did not since that would mean i had to spend another 15k on that LG LS5700.

Last bit of advice always buy Dell screens from their 1800 number or from a proper real Dell customer care i would have gotten a refund had i not bought from Dell direct store. Even if its 1K more than that shady electronics wala buy from the proper channel aka their phone customer care.

EDIT: Wanted to add a side note for the S2440L anyone who is thinking of buying it please test it out before hand i had gone to Chandigarh and tried the S2440L it has some horrible Gama shifts for me VA panels are Samsung TV's and IPS are LG but the S2440L are not like the Samsung VA TV's they are a lot worse, horizontally less so but vertically a lot. The S2440L can be best described as a mix of the U2412M "IPS" and ST2420M "TN" also you dont get a huge height or width increase as you do with the U2412M, its there but much less in the WoW scale to really make the S2440L appear all that bigger than the U2312HM. The glossy finish is another huge negative but it may be liked my some in max brightness the reflections were no bother but around 50-60% the reflections made the screen loose picture clarity.

S2440L has some very good reviews from tft central.So is there a lot of difference between S2440L and dell u2412m?

You try it out yourself if you look at the screen when you stand it has a sudden change in Gama the result is that half of the screen goes dark the other turns bright. I was open for the S2440L for my U412M but there is a huge huge difference in their height and the type of panel used. S2440L is not IPS and as such viewing angles are better than TN but not near IPS standards from any angle. The other thing is overdrive which is ON by default in S2440L "I read it in the service manual" now there are situations where overdrive has no impact of the performance and the native speed is used here again IPS is better than the AMVA panel used in the S2440L. The U2312HM is a much better deal for the extra cash you get reduction in space but its not huge unlike the U2412M which is 16:10.

Overall S2440L<u2312HM<U2412M

my u2312hm also has similar backlight bleed albeit with a slight bluish tint in the right end :ashamed:

_

The bloody backlight bleed and IPS glow are the only bad thing about these IPS displays, I have a LG IPS TV and it is no where near as perfect as my brothers Samsung in blacks and fluid like motion.

Star Trek Fan?

Yep u got me now give me all your gold pressed latinum.... :p

Fullstops and commas. Commas and fullstops.

Ahhhhh, yaaa.....

Back