Linux Data recovery through Ubuntu 11.10

mohit1981

Disciple
Hi,

I have 1TB WD external HDD (USB3.0). Few months back , I don't know why, files and folders in it became corrupt, i.e I am unable to open them. I tried different recovery software but was unable to recover the data.

To further add to the problem, few days back when I attached the drive to the computer, the computer did not recognized it. There was no icon of it in 'My Computers'. I tried to attach the drive to my laptop, but even it did not recognized it. :angry:

I remember reading somewhere that we can try to recover the data using Linux O.S. So, I have created the Linux Ubuntu 11.10 DVD to try the same. But now I am unable to locate the section which listed the steps to be followed to recover data from external drive.

If some one knows the steps for the same, I request him to share the same. This is first time I am using Ubuntu and I don't have any idea about it. I will not be installing the Ubuntu but running it in demo mode without actually installing it.

Desktop computer on which I am running it has Windows XP installed on it.

I have important and personal files/ photos in it, please help me in recovering it.

Thanks

In linux, run the following command to see if it gets detected
Code:
sudo fdisk -l

if yes, then you can use mount the drive & copy data off it.
if its not detected, then see if there are any errors by following command: And try to plug it in back ports
Code:
dmesg

btw, if data is important. Then you can try getting the drive out of the external case(will void warranty) & plugging it directly via sata. Then, try running a solution like Spinrite or similar software. if this works now, it would mean drive itself is fine & there is some problem with usb casing or usb cable.

Back