Budget 41-50k CPU+Board+GPU in 50k

mithun

Adept
Honestly, this is my third attempt at upgrading my 6+ year old C2D rig! Things did not materialize, as always some other more lucrative avenues of spending my money appeared out of the blue. Also, the fact that I get very little time to use the PC, it has dropped down significantly in the list of priorities. However, I did bother fellow TEians before and here i go again :

If i may please be exonerated from using the beautifully thought out template, owing to the fact that I am only looking at 3 components to buy, I could get down to my requirements straight :

Present config : C2D E6750/Asus G41/4GB DDR3/AMD 6850/VX450

Usage : Games @ 1920x1080, HD content (TV & HT setup)

Looking at : An Ivy or Haswell setup with a 79xx series Radeon, but open to AMD/Nvidia offerings too.

Other points : Looking for something with reasonably future proof connectivity options. A sound card, if needed and can be squeezed in the budget as the audio output will be through an Onkyo HT.

Thanks in advance.

No guru would reply mate, fill in the template first.

Ahem ..... OP has made a very special plea - ;) .... besides I ain't no guru :D & that permits me to shoot my mouth :wacky:
If i may please be exonerated from using the beautifully thought out template, owing to the fact that I am only looking at 3 components to buy, I could get down to my requirements straight

So here goes
Haswell
i5-4670K ~ 15800/- or 4670 ~ 14400/-
or i5-4430 ~12400/-

Motherboard
ASRock - Z87 Extreme 4 ~ 12150/- [the onboard sound quality will be sufficient to pair this with your Onkyo HT connected via HDMI]

GPU - Sapphire 7970 3GB ~ 30958/-

Your budget may shoot by some margin, so are you ready for that ?

Now what RAM do you have?
Haswell's performance will rock with RAM of a mininum 2133 or 2400MHz & a minimum of 8GB

What about an SSD ?
Just realised that your VX450 is going to bottleneck this config :(

Cheers
Terry

Ahem ..... OP has made a very special plea - ;) .... besides I ain't no guru :D & that permits me to shoot my mouth :wacky:

Cheers
Terry

Thanks for the detailed reply. Will take the plunge next saturday, so kindly allow me to shoot a few further queries and place some more facts :
1. I am looking at a non-K Haswell owing to the apparent fact that they do not fair as good as Ivy s in OCing potential. So its between the 4430, 4570 and 4670. In that case, does going in with a H87 board make more sense? What are the other limitations of the H87 over the Z87 chipset apart from OCing potential? Is there any feature rich H87 board available in India yet? I do not want to lose out on connectivity options.
2. Is Asrock a reliable brand? Back in my geeky days, it used to be a rather frivolous brand. But then again only Gigabyte is the brand I can safely trust nowadays is it?
3. I have 1600 mhz XMS3 2x2gb modules, which I plan to temporarily use in the new rig.
4. Yes, queries 1 and 2 are partially the outcome of the SSD idea that you have implanted. Would it be wise to save on the motherboard and try to squeeze in a SSD. Does 64Gb drives suffice provided I do intend to continue using my WD Black HDD?
5. I was afraid I would be asked to replace the PSU:(. So that takes away 5k minimum from the budget if needed immediately.
6. The morning came with an offer of a 6 month old 7970 going at 20k. But the thought of coming back home(to nvidia) is slowly creeping in. How does a GTX 760 fair?
7. Already have a Corsair H80 cooler
8. Budget is somewhat flexible but wouldn't be too keen to spend more than 50k.

Back