corrupted windows 8 how to reinstall

demonhead

Disciple
i bought an asus laptop from U.S. (model number is Q200E), my wondows is corrupt now and i donot know how to reinstall windows 8, is there any special copy that MS provides to download and reinstall windows 8 through flash drive? the reason i am asking this is because while looking up for a solution I found out that CD key is embedded in the bios only (of the laptop).

TIA

Windows 8 has built in feature where, if it cannot boot to desktop, it tries to repair the PC. If it fails, then it gives option of reinstalling OS.
Do you see a black screen for long time during boot? If so it is trying to restore PC.
If it does not boot at all, then see if there is an Esd folder in root of drive. Windows install is done from this folder. You may need to get a Linux bootable CD to search for the Esd folder. Just copy the entire folder to a USB stick and install from it.

It shows a black screen for about 5seconds and then it goes to bios every single time . Will look up for your solution using Slax and get back to you

Download the manual of your laptop from here:
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Q200E&os=8

You will find the relevant information under the Troubleshoot category of the manual.

According to the manual, pressing F9 during POST will bring up several options, which will help you troubleshoot the system, and/or, help you to restore Windows, or your laptop to the factory state.

So, download the manual, and go through the various options available. Press F9 during POST to see the available options.

Good luck.

i looked up for the solution as per te manual but the system still goes inti bios directly. during POST when i press F9 it only delays the process of goin into bios by a couple of seconds. i looked up the system using the slax. all partitions are still intact and there i see all the drives including recovery,OS and backup but notihing seems to be working :S

Are you sure you are using the right terms?

On starting the computer, your system goes to BIOS? I have never seen a system go to BIOS on starting up. That's not normal behavior. When a computer boots up, it shows the POST screen, and then tries to boot an OS from the hard drive, or looks for a bootable source. If it doesn't find anything, it will display an error message. So, are you sure it's going to BIOS on startup automatically?
If it's doing that, check for any stuck keys, which might be sending the computer to BIOS.
According to the manual, pressing F2 during POST will take you into BIOS. Check to see if that key is stuck.

Regarding the F9 key, start pressing it, as soon as you see the POST screen. Timing is important.. you might have to try a number of times before you get it right.

Pressing F9 only will give you the various recovery options. So, it's important you make it work. Because, without a CD, it's difficult otherwise.

If you are getting any error messages, please share them here. Share as much details about the problem as possible, in order for someone to offer help.

Download a ISO of the same variant you are using and use it to install W8 - the system will automatically pickup the key.

On the other hand, would suggest to dump 8 and go back to 7 ;)

I think MS should allow people to go back to 7 from 8 if they face issues, without needing to check if its 8 Pro or Core edition.

I have been using Windows 8 since the start of this year. I do not find it bad at all. I don't know why people dislike it. I wouldn't want to go back to Windows 7. Of course, I am not a big fan of the tiles, and the new Windows apps, or, the start screen... but still, apart from that, Windows 8 is certainly an improvement, and it works great. I haven't had any problems using it.

I have been using Windows 8 since the start of this year. I do not find it bad at all. I don't know why people dislike it. I wouldn't want to go back to Windows 7. Of course, I am not a big fan of the tiles, and the new Windows apps, or, the start screen... but still, apart from that, Windows 8 is certainly an improvement, and it works great. I haven't had any problems using it.

As this has been debated in length and detail, similar to what the next iOS has, and whats good and bad, I have only one thing to say : Corporate users need a alternative to the 'Start Screen', preferably something free and that MS includes in the setup. Then, there is the bloatware which is included with W8 OEMs - some of it has to stop, it really kills the performance (I am looking at you, Samsung). They dont need anything else to be done.

all i can find are pirated windows 8 iso will it take the key from bios?
or is MS providing with windows 8 iso for reinstallation purpose
thanks in advance (and sorry for late updates on the situation)

I am not aware of Microsoft providing any Windows 8 ISO for download.

I haven't read or seen a CD key embedded in BIOS.. are you sure about that? Windows key is generally printed on the back of the laptop.

Did you try pressing F9 during laptop boot for Advanced Options?

Then, there is the bloatware which is included with W8 OEMs - some of it has to stop, it really kills the performance (I am looking at you, Samsung). They dont need anything else to be done.

Start Screen is not a big issue, as much as people are making of it. Yes, I don't like it either, and yes, I miss things like the simple Start menu, and simple access to Recent Documents, but still, once you are past the Start Screen, Windows 8 works great, like Windows 7.

About the bloatware included in OEM systems, I don't think MS is responsible for that, or it's something specific to Windows 8. It's been happening since a long time. And not only Samsung, all OEMs are doing it, from HP, Compaq, Asus, to others. It's really bloatware, and I dislike it a lot.

@demonhead, is the laptop in warranty? If it is, ask for recovery CD from their cc. Say your machine just stopped booting. Tell the service engineer to not format the hdd.
Pirated versions won't take key from bios. It will prompt you to enter key after installing everything from scratch. Better to get system recovery disk from manufacturer since it will have all drivers etc.

it's just 6 months old but was bought from US but i will give the CC a call and ask what can be done in this case hope they wont charge me too much and would be sweet if i get recovery cd from them :p
will update about the situation once i have a chat with CC

Run the sfc /scannow command in windows 8 command prompt to attempt to fix corrupted or modified system files.
You will need windows 8 disk to run this command. Borrow a windows 8 disk from any friend or from any shop. You can use pirated disk also for this.

Back