Budget Above 25K Considering a nexus 5 Any major cons i should know about ?

Am lookin for a very good travel phone. The reason i want to purchase a nexus is not because of the price.It's not much cheaper than a phone like LG G2 which has better features .The reason i want a nexus is i like the pure android experience(own a nexus 7 first gen) and coming from iOS want regular SW updates.Am not into modding or rooting phones.To be honest this is not the ideal phone for me.That would be moto x or the iphone 5S( if only it had a bigger 4.5 inch screen). Unfortunately moto x isn't available here.
Have a few concerns regarding this phone:-
1) GPS issues.A no of users have reported that it takes a long while for the gps antenna to get a lock.Also it's not very accurate and loses signal too quickly making it useless for car navigation. Now i don';t mind if it takes a minute or two to get a proper lock but if it loses lock all too often then it's useless to me.Does anyone here who bought a nexus face similar issue ?? A malfunctioning GPS would be a deal breaker for me.

2)camera issues:-Now i am okay with the pic quality of the phone but many say the camera app takes too long to open(even after the 4.4.2 update) and lock focus and take a shot.Also no burst mode available ??Use my phone to capture those quick blink and you miss it shots.

3)Audio output:- Heard complaints of low volume output from Nexus 5 speaker.No i don;t care abt its effect on gaming or movies.What i would like to know is, is the sound output so low that it will make navigation apps like google maps and sygic map my india frustrating to use ??

4) too big? Since none of the local shops have it, have to order it from the play store.Coming frm an iphone 3g i fear the size might be too big for me ? Have played ard with a galaxy S4 and while big didn't find it too uncomfortable.Is nexus 5 comfortable to hold ?? Also since it's too fragile a case might be needed. Will the official google bumper case make it uncomfortable to hold?

5)Build quality:- Build quality is always an issue with any nexus device.Apart from the rattling power button any other issues i should know abt ?? Also how bad is the battery ??

Considering these issues should i go ahead and purchase one or should i just wait for moto g (although i will miss future updates, nfc payments if they do come to india, addl core for motion tracking---features that might become very useful when apps that make use of them come to the market)??

Last edited:
Hi smoky004, If you compare N5 and LG G2, certainly G2 stands out in terms of features and camera.
Coming to your list of issues.
1) Yes GPS has some issues , lot of users are reporting issues regarding GPS lock , good news is ,, its going to be fixed in 4.2.2 update.
2) Nexus devices or not well know for camera quality , and the same carried down for n5, if u r looking for pure camera phone this is not ur cup of tea ! but pic quality isnt that bad compare to n4.
3) Yes, audio output is one thing u hav to live with, its too low.. if you are watching a movie or playing games ,, it pisses you a lot. speakers are too feeble. If you are looking for good audio phone consider HTC one, nothing comes close to that.
4)No its not too big !! For a 5" device if feels so comfortable to hold in one hand. one hand operation is pretty comfy. I can say its very compact device. If u r okay with GS4 then N5 wont be a problem i guess.
5)Build quality is okay , not as cheap as sammy devices i can say. Its very light weight, and doesn't feel solid in hands, but still up to todays standards, again if are looking for a solid build, go for HTC one. :) , about the battery , normal usage will get u one day., battery backup is acceptable , considering the performance it delivers.

1 . I have used GPS alot and haven't found any problems with it. I don't know what people mean when they say "gps doesn't get proper lock" , but from my experience it works perfectly.

2 . Yes no burst mode yet, but reports are that google is working on it. Camera quality was super awesome in 4.4 but auto focus was very slow and aswas the shutter speed. Now with the update shutter speed is awesome as well as auto focus but quality has been decreased , I don't know why or may be it's just me.

3. Speakers are okay. They aren't that low unless you get extremely unlucky with a defective unit. But yes speakers are pain in the ass when using maps/navigation/Google NOW. It was same problem in Nexus 4 too. You have to wear IEM's/headphones if you want to hear navigation.

4. If you have used S4, then you will just lust your nexus 5. Nexus5 is such a sexy lukin' device. I just love it. But it's a daym fingerprint magnet and dust magnet. Even dust settles under the bottom of the screen where it's impossible to clean as it goes under the screen and also in back of the camera lens. Real pain in the ass, won't lie to you. Keep this in mind when buying Nexus 5. It is very comfortable to hold and I am coming from Nexus 4. If you are coming from iPhone then ofc you will find it way big ;)

5. Dust/fingerprint magnet. All you need to know and if you think this is a small issue, think AGAIN. I am using nexus 5 from last a month and dude dust makes this phone look really bad. :'( So it's obvious that it's a poor build which causes this. If there was no gap in bottom of the screen this would not happen. Nexus 4 attracts dust too but you can easily clean that.

I would advice you to go for Lumia's and HTC's zero gap thing for build quality unless you can wait for a month before google do their quality check and revise the hardware of nexus 5. This happened to nexus 4 too and revised hardware was available in Inida too. So..

Thx harish and sobirvs.Yes not all users are facing GPS issues.So maybe i should just take the plunge and if the gps in my unit is faulty i would send it back.
Yes, audio output is one thing u hav to live with, its too low..
You have to wear IEM's/headphones if you want to hear navigation.
That 's less than ideal.Have they fixed this in the revised hardware ??

Dust/fingerprint magnet. All you need to know and if you think this is a small issue, think AGAIN. I am using nexus 5 from last a month and dude dust makes this phone look really bad. :'( So it's obvious that it's a poor build which causes this. If there was no gap in bottom of the screen this would not happen.
Won't using a case prevent the dust frm gettin in ?? Although to be honest i like the rubberized back on my nexus 7 and don't wanna use a case.Does the official nexus bumper frm google come with the same soft touch plastic ??

Can't go for HTC one or lumia as i don't like windows OS or sense UI and coming from iOS will miss future software upgrades.besides new hardware doesn't tempt me as much as a new revision of OS.Also i am really excited abt that addl co-processor and the possibilities that it might open up in the future.Would love it if it might one day get some of the features of moto x.Also interested in nfc payments although there's slim chance it would come to india anytime soon.
So it's either this phone or the moto g as a stop gap arrangement.
Google play shows that the next batch of devices will ship on 27 this month. Does anyone know whether these are updated nexus or the old ones?? Maybe i will wait for confirmation before placing an order !

Thx harish and sobirvs.Yes not all users are facing GPS issues.So maybe i should just take the plunge and if the gps in my unit is faulty i would send it back.

That 's less than ideal.Have they fixed this in the revised hardware ??

Won't using a case prevent the dust frm gettin in ?? Although to be honest i like the rubberized back on my nexus 7 and don't wanna use a case.Does the official nexus bumper frm google come with the same soft touch plastic ??

Can't go for HTC one or lumia as i don't like windows OS or sense UI and coming from iOS will miss future software upgrades.besides new hardware doesn't tempt me as much as a new revision of OS.Also i am really excited abt that addl co-processor and the possibilities that it might open up in the future.Would love it if it might one day get some of the features of moto x.Also interested in nfc payments although there's slim chance it would come to india anytime soon.
So it's either this phone or the moto g as a stop gap arrangement.
Google play shows that the next batch of devices will ship on 27 this month. Does anyone know whether these are updated nexus or the old ones?? Maybe i will wait for confirmation before placing an order !

For GPS audio, mate I have no idea. Mostly we use GPS when we are driving bikes, cars etc and the noise is already too much because of other vehicles so may be that's the reason. It was same with Nexus 4 too.

Case , may be. I have used my N5 without a case/guard till now and I have faced dust problems alot so now I will definitely be getting a case for it. So, will report back abt that soon. Rubbery back was one of the reason why I didn't put a case on it ;) I haven't got the official bumper so can't comment on that. Why don't you just go for Moto X ? It's an awesome device and the features it has will never be on Nexus 5 afaik as moto x uses some kind of chip which gives always listen feature to the phone and as well maintains the battery too. Nexus 5 don't have that and if it ever get's that feature than battery will get ****ed up. Google play is showing that from 3 weeks now, people who have ordered the device in that gap have received the device in 3 days.. may be they got lucky or may be not. Again no one knows if the batch will be new or not. I haven't seen even americans getting the new hardware batch aka 312k yet, and US being the top priority of Google , they will ofc get the new hardware ahead of Indian units. Better wait and see reviews and then buy.

Better wait and see reviews and then buy.
You are right

Why don't you just go for Moto X ? It's an awesome device and the features it has will never be on Nexus 5 afaik as moto x uses some kind of chip which gives always listen feature to the phone and as well maintains the battery too. Nexus 5 don't have that and if it ever get's that feature than battery will get ****ed up.
Can't go for the moto x because it won't haveany warranty and if anything goes wrong will have to throw it away since motorola closed shop yrs ago.Yes nexus will never get active notifications since it uses IPS display or always on "okay google now" feature. Frankly i don't care abt okay google now unless i decide to automate my front gate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI4bSMiO_xY . Am more interested in the location aware features of moto x.Since nexus 5 has a seperate dedicated co-processor(just like iphone's M7) there's no reason it shouldn't come to nexus 5 as well.

Back