Connecting 2x Computers for Data Transfer

asingh

Staff member
Super Mod
Ok....

Sgx100 had started a thread and this got me thinking. So this thread is an extrapolation of the same. I am sure all you gurus are doing this (successfully) but I seem to have missed the bus.

How do you all connect your DL stations / secondary systems to your primary gaming rig. I tried the following:

1. Windows Ad-HOC on Wireless. Here the router is the intermediary, but external LAN connectivity is lost when the ad-hoc is activated. The transfer speeds are slow.

2. RJ-45 connection. Did not work for some reason. Put in a local IP for each machine, and set the default gateway (other computer). This causes conflicts for the wifi-router. So did not work.

3. Got a USB-USB direct link cable. This came with some legacy software which does not work. But what does happen is that 'Windows Easy Tranfsfer' gets activated. Now this lets one transfer data to direct mapped drives. So if I want to pick up data from C: it can only move to C: from host to destination. This is quite stupid. I have data on C: drive on my netbook, but no ways do I want it on C: on my gaming rig. I have an H: drive there, but cannot map it. So I would need to create an H: drive on the host computer. Does not work.

4. Connectivy Software. This emulates (1) and is quite slow again.

Basically looking for some solution -- wired/wireless which lets me transfer data seamlessly and with decent throughput. I am not to interested to use USB sticks or e-SATA drives, need a more 'fixed' solution. Win7 solution.

What all methods you guys using. Any thoughts/suggestions/tweaks would be welcome. I had tried a software Easy Link which works for USB-USB Direct Link, but that is again emulating (3) from above.

Meaning an RJ-45 connection cable..or something else..?

How did you configure the IPs and all. Not working for me.

asingh said:
Meaning an RJ-45 connection cable..or something else..?

How did you configure the IPs and all. Not working for me.
Yes asingh ... it a RJ - 45 only with crossed wires...I have heard about the same but never tried it.
AFAIK having a same Gateway with 192.168.1.1/2 should work.

This is a very pertinent issue ... Good Thread
Hope we can have some valuable shares.

^^

Was reading up that if both machines have a dedicated ethernet port then simple RJ-45 should work. Not sure what is happening.

Back