Storage Solutions Confusion with Seagate 7200.14 platter sizes !!

HailStonE

Skilled
Well after almost a year I got a new Seagate 2TB 7200.14 (7200RPM) HDD. It was the longest in last few years that I didn't bought a storage solution for my ever growing HD dumps. I was fortunate enough earlier to invest in 2x 2TB WD HDD's just before the price rise & was hoping it to last only a year so that I would make new purchases once prices settle down, but that's not the case right now & it may take 1-2 years more for this artificial price rise to cool down. Therefore we have to accept the price rise & get our storage solutions whenever needed..

Anyway this thread is not about the apparent high prices but something else that I found regarding the latest high performance Seagate 7200.14 HDD's. (Model ST2000DM001) They are promoted as 1TB/platter drives with exceptionally good performance for a magnetic drive. Truth is far from reality since Seagate has flooded the market with slower drives boasting 666 GB/platter HDD's with same model no. (ST2000DM001).

The 666GB/platter (3x platter) drive is a slower drive compared to the flagship 1TB/platter drive (2x platter) which is mostly sent for reviews.

11475_ST2000DM001-portada.jpg

The 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST2000DM001 models, comes in two different editions made up between 2-3 dishes with different capacities (1TB and 666GB respectively), perhaps it would not pose major problem for the user, but unfortunately this is not the case, for the version with two plates of 1TB (190MB / s) has outperformed the three dishes 666GB (144MB / s).

The only way to differentiate between the two variants is top notch right side of the hard drive where the version with three plates of 666GB (slower) is smaller

Seagate 1TB ST2000DM001 dishes (below)

11475_ST2000DM001-1TB.jpg

Seagate 666GB ST2000DM001 (below)

11475_ST2000DM001-666GB.jpg

It would be very difficult to differentiate it unless one is buying at a shop & both of these models are available. I highly doubt that the faster 1TB/platter 2TB HDD was even released in India. If some members can confirm this then it would be nice.

Source: - The confusing 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST2000DM001 | Tech News Pedia

Thanks for the info man. You have scared me right.
Waiting for confirmation and the intended damages.

BTW will someone raise a stinking claim against seagate.

Thanks for sharing

brought a 1TB drive last Sunday, was contemplating buying 2 TB but did not, will be buying 2 TB next, so this pointer will be helpful.

Hi Guys.
New member here.
Just purchased the Seagate ST2000DM001 from an online pc site in India and was searching the net if this was 2 or 3 platters and came across here! Glad I got 1tb/platter and not the 666gb/platter version. But its scary that Seagate is selling both versions with the same model number. :mad:

IF the images of Hailstone are correct then I have the 2 platter version ! :)
My Part no 1CH164 and site is TK (Thailand), firmware version CC27.

If I can ill even post the benchmarks from HD Tune over here.

Actually Aida gives false information on this issue. I have the same unit as Jashan. brought a few days ago.
Unit produces easy 175MB/sec in aida linear read test on forst partition (if you have patience and run multiple tests, open and close aplication etc... because will give errors due to 64MB smart cache that is interfering with block sise detection and general read) ... that is not possible with 3 platters. Also a sign of error is the name that aida gives to drive, 7200.12... witch is cute but wrong, correct model name of 1ch164 is 7200.14.

^.. Your point is not clear.. you have the same HDD unit as #Jashan which is a 2 platter drive hence also faster.... So why AIDA is wrong...

AIDA has to be updated to the latest version for the database to be up to date hence the model no. varies.... Its a known issue with all such programmes...

The point is, using Aida 3.20.2600 (almost last version) the drive ST2000DM001, 7200.14, 1ch164, firmware CC27 Thailand made is identified as 7200.12, the old generation that has 3 platters, however usind seagate tools it is correctly identified as 7200.14 with 2 platters and the speed tests conforms it. So this may not be a confusion with physical units beiing diffrent but the software is missreporting it.

Then trust the Seagate Tool...By the way its showing correctly on my AIDA 2.5.2000.... New version might be buggy...

Otherwise no other sure-shot way except for the pictures above or else take a chance & confirm by opening instead (to be sure) but it will surely void warranty...

Back