Confused between FHD and HD ready

yuvi161292

Disciple
I want to buy a tv for my room preferably 32" for watching tv and movies
Viewing distance would be 6-8ft
I already own a 23" FHD monitor for my pc nd ps3 gaming
I m confused wheather to go for FHD TV or not . The price difference was around 10k .
The thing is i was set on getting a FHD but then i realized that most of the tv i watch (tv series on my pc) is not in full hd . also my pc cant play games at 1080p on 32" using my 560ti and i dont even plan to . also the ps3 doesnt have alot of full hd games i think.
So should i invest in a hd ready tv afterall ?? Also will it be able to run the hd channels offered on the tataskyhd ??

Budget 20-25k for HD ready or upto 30-32k for FHD
Any help is appreciated
Thanks in advance

FHD is not at all required, you can't tell the diffeence on a 32" from 6-8ft
You can also buy an external TV tuner and connect it to your monitor if sixe does not bothers you.
Yes, you can watch HD channels via Tata skyHD, if you subscribe to it.

My take:No use putting money in TV just for watching few hours of TV when you can do the same thing on your monitor.

HD-Ready will come in mostly LCD panel TV's.

Both these factors are already outdated & lesser manufacturers are coming out with any new models circa 2013 onwards.

You should look at ONLY LED panel TV's having 1080p or Full-HD output. This is future-proof.

I consider it a sheer waste of money and foolishness to for anyone who is spending 20-32k and then goes in for a HD-ready (720p TV) which is an LCD too. Sooner or later OP will want to watch 1080p movies ? Should he then feel disheartened that he blew up his hard earned money on some 720p set.

Lastly, I totally disagree that there is no visible difference between 720p & 1080p. I have been in this field for almost 20 years and seen such wrong advice or decisions taken when there were better options (for the same price)!!!

Thanks everyone i was suprised to see so many replies so fast .
I also had this fact in mind that the HD ready might not be future proof but forgot to mention it that is the reason i first looked at 27"FHD monitor but then i saw these HD ready panels around the same price range and got confused . But the thing is i plan to buy a bigger 3D tv in 2-3yrs as i start earning. I m still in my college years and want to buy it with my own savings so i was looking for a cheaper option in HD ready . A FHD led i think would cost somwhere around 35k .
We do hav a Full hd samsung 40" lcd at home with tatasky hd and the hd pack . Can i expect the same quality or atleast a good enough quality on a HD ready tv with these HD channels??
About the Full HD movies for now i plan to watch them on our 40" FHD common tv

Now the "whole" picture get's clearer. So you already have a 40" LCD & plan for a bigger screen 3D TV in 2-3 years.

Well in that case there is no need at all to go for a separate 24" or 32" TV. As someone suggested you could add a HD TV tuner card for your PC and use your 23" as a TV.

I want a bigger screen for my room for those late night football matches and stuff . also i dont care about the speakers its got because ill use headphones in any case most of the time
Dont need a HD tv tuner card if i want that cause my monitor (dell 2320sl or 2310sl dnt rmbr exactly) has an hdmi port and also audio input output .
Would i be better wit a 27" FHD monitor then??[DOUBLEPOST=1367244537][/DOUBLEPOST]Or how about this http://www.flipkart.com/philips-32p...XXV8&ref=8e4e0b10-b061-487a-9c6e-324bf0b90742
dont really trust phillips as a tv brand though

^^ Not worth it. Well if you are hell bent of spending ur dad's money then just look out for some LCD under 20K. Videocon and Funai come to the top of my mind within 20k price bracket.
Even for the late night matches that you want to watch, 32" is not exactly a "big" TV. Better save that 30K and add maybe the same amount of money(or more) and get a 50" plasma later on.

HD-Ready will come in mostly LCD panel TV's.

Both these factors are already outdated & lesser manufacturers are coming out with any new models circa 2013 onwards.

You should look at ONLY LED panel TV's having 1080p or Full-HD output. This is future-proof.

I consider it a sheer waste of money and foolishness to for anyone who is spending 20-32k and then goes in for a HD-ready (720p TV) which is an LCD too. Sooner or later OP will want to watch 1080p movies ? Should he then feel disheartened that he blew up his hard earned money on some 720p set.

Lastly, I totally disagree that there is no visible difference between 720p & 1080p. I have been in this field for almost 20 years and seen such wrong advice or decisions taken when there were better options (for the same price)!!!

Sir, at the viewing distance OP has mentioned, there will be absolutely no noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p.
One needs to sit more closer than that to feel any difference

Sir, at the viewing distance OP has mentioned, there will be absolutely no noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p.
One needs to sit more closer than that to feel any difference

OK one may not see a perceptable difference between 720 & 1080 [uncompressed outputs] .But as is so common today, to use highly compressed output (which occupies lesser bandwidth for broadcast) - the difference is obvious.

But I'm moving out of this thread (getting too scary for the likes of me) :banhappy:

I am looking for a personal tv for my room not looking to upgrade the 40"
All i want to know is would getting a HD ready tv for 20k fulfill my tv needs if not can i get a LED FHD in 30-32k?

All i want to know is would getting a HD ready tv for 20k fulfill my tv needs if not can i get a LED FHD in 30-32k?

Your needs will be fullfilled either ways.
LCD > Older technology; bulkier; consume more power; generates more heat
LED > Newer technology; Sleek & slim; consumes very less power; minimum heat generated
LED - plenty of models within your budget

FHD > All the benefits & plus points (esp in sizes from 24"-32")
:happy:

Oops@ Ok, I misunderstood it, sorry! Yes according to me an LCD with HD Ready will fullfill your needs. A FHD is necessary whe you are going for 42"+ TV. Go and audition some HD Ready and FHD LCD as well as LEDs (if you feel like). LEDs don't offer any display advantage other than making the TV "slim". A well calibrated LCD will also produce a good colour gamut. Ofcourse LEDs are brighter, but "brighter" does not means better. I did suggest buy a LCD with good set of features, especially 100Hz scan (since you want it for watching sports) and if it is a IPS Alpha panel, better go for it. But you wont find a fully featured LCD under 20K, it will come closer to 30K, but still less than a half featureed LED. To my mind that makes more sense.

Oops@ Ok, I misunderstood it, sorry! Yes according to me an LCD with HD Ready will fullfill your needs. A FHD is necessary whe you are going for 42"+ TV. Go and audition some HD Ready and FHD LCD as well as LEDs (if you feel like). LEDs don't offer any display advantage other than making the TV "slim". A well calibrated LCD will also produce a good colour gamut. Ofcourse LEDs are brighter, but "brighter" does not means better. I did suggest buy a LCD with good set of features, especially 100Hz scan (since you want it for watching sports) and if it is a IPS Alpha panel, better go for it. But you wont find a fully featured LCD under 20K, it will come closer to 30K, but still less than a half featureed LED. To my mind that makes more sense.

Thanks that seems like the most helpful answer yet. Ill do that

Make a list of features before go for audition. Categorize them as:
1. Needs - Think of features that you always missed in your current LCD
2. Wants - features that you desired
3. Luxury - features that you would not want to pay extra money for, but good to have if in the budget

At the distance there is no way you can notice the difference between FHD & HD on a 32" screen.

It is a fact that SD TV looks a lot better on HD rather than FHD. Go to a few shops, take demos, you would understand what I mean.

Bottom line: same advice, go for HD instead of FHD.

Back