Confused between 7" and a 10" tablet.

Switch

Skilled
Hey guys,

I will give you a little history first. I have been using the original iPad since the first month of its launch and it has been a great device for me. I use it for my business more then for my personal entertainment. It has served me so well that I was planning to pick another one up with my eyes closed for its usage. The primary purpose for it was to show my clients of the past projects I did and it has served me as an extended catalogue for my products as I am into furniture business.

But there has been some minor drawbacks of the same.

1. I desperately needed a camera on this one. As we keep making a new product everyday and sometimes it does on delivery in my absence we miss a big opportunity to click pics of the finished product before the delivery. A dedicated camera can solve the purpose for that but it's a tedious task as I have to first click the pics then upload it on the lappy then put it in my iPad. Most of the pics I click is not from my 12mp super zoom but from my 5mp trusted iPhone 4 camera which is still going strong after almost 2 years of usage. Also since iOS 5 photo streaming has been one boon for my kind of work. iOS users will understand what I am talking about here. And it is only possible with an iDevice.

2. Late night surfing has been a pain on the iPad. It's just a little too big for the same. And my iPhone 4 is little too small. Also i feel iPad has less internal memory for browsing as I can't open more then 4 tabs at the same time. The browser will just crash if I was to use safari for TE forums. Thank god for tapatalk. Also most of he current games requires a faster processor. I have bought stands/ cases and what not for the same but surfing in bed while lying down has always been a pain. For this very reason I was planning on a 7" device as it would be smaller, lighter and more convenient for the same. The primary choice was nexus 7 but lack of camera made me think twice about that. Also it's not from the boring yet effective (for me at least) iOS system also is making me think twice about the same device. Finally I feel the device is missing a MiniSD slot as I have always wanted to store more content on my touch devices but being an Apple's so called fanboy has made me shook my head in disbelief that even a google can think from their ... The one major positive being the pricing though has been a major motivating factor going in for Nexus 7. I can get 2 of these beauties for less then the price of 1 basic iPad 3.

3. The rumored iPad mini and the next 7" google flagship has been eating away my brains to stay put with my money as they would or rather should have a dedicated 5MP back camera and mostly faster proccy. Also the mini would have Siri as now it has made its way to iPad 3 and iPod touch. Nothing that it's something really important but it's an added bonus.

I could also take a completely different route by buying an galaxy note 2 and getting rid of my iPhone 4. It would a little bigger investment depending on how much will my iPhone 4 will go for but I am just not comfortable giving my personal phone in the hands of my staff and customers for the very purpose I stated in my original post. Also the camera option goes for a toss when I am not there in my store. So back to square one.

I also wanted to ask you guys a question that how comfortable is using a 7" tab vs a 10" tab. In my mind I am thinking it would be big difference but is it really so. Why don't I just go in for a second hand iPad 2 and have the best of all the worlds while I can live with a shitty camera but then again it's tried and tested and of course it should be more comfortable to use as it is thinner and lighter then the original iPad which I have been using over the years and does everything in full which iOS 6 offers apart from Siri and Siri of course.

What to pick. The iPad 2 or the Nexus 7 or wait it out for iPad mini(should be out by month end according to rumors).

Sorry for such a long post. Thanks for reading. Help me or rather suggest me.

Switch

It was a long post!

Getting a used gadget from a reliable source will make better sense. As you are a self-confessed iFanboy - used iPad2 will make sense of keeping stuff synched across your devices. But remember if you leave it with your staff they would have access to your synched accounts :scared14:

One option can be getting a Blackberry Playbook : it has a camera - but no flash. Comes with a good screen. Can run some Android apps as a bonus.
Another option could have been the Kindle Fire (AFAIK not officially launched in India) available on line for good pricing - but the Kindle Fire does not have a camera.

Playbook will satisfy your basic purpose of lightweight tablet with camera, casual browsing will also play decent video and can double up as a eBook reader.
If you are OK with the idea, some may be available in the classifieds in TE forums.

You could also consider the Samsung Tab 2 . But then samsung note would be the best option I feel as it solves your problem completely. You can also edit images or write notes on the pics you click very easily. In your business that would seem to be an added bonus.

10" would be better to show off stuff like pictures, catalogs. Larger screen size also means better overall experience. Portability & single hand operation (holding while reading for ex.) is the biggest draw for 7".

Samsung Tab2 also has 3G connectivity.

Please no Playbooks, i use one myself, the weight factor is really a pain!
Android apps, not yet matured, most of'em crash.
Cam quality is okayish even in well lit conditions.

Android apps, not yet matured, most of'em crash.
I wouldn't really see the above statement as very mature either. Try not to base your statements on the outcome of half cooked devices; the android counterparts are very much at par with the iOS versions.

As mentioned by fellow friends, the real estate offered by the 10 incher is really a boon but also is a trade off with the usability. I was in the similar dilemma as the OP is in now and after giving a very deep thought, bit the bullet to get the Nexus 7. Glad that I wasn't wrong in my decision.

I wouldn't really see the above statement as very mature either. Try not to base your statements on the outcome of half cooked devices; the android counterparts are very much at par with the iOS versions.

Please understand my friend i was talking about side loading of apps on a playbook, I know myself that the Android platform has more better and stable apps. The point was related to sideloading, i wasnt touching Android OS at all in the statement.

I was just telling the OP about the far fetched realities of what problems he could encounter in a BB playbook

Umm i guess i will try a few of my inputs considering that have used both sizes extensively.

1-regarding the camera bit,if you want a competiive cam on a tablet,then there is nothing close to the ipad 3.

2- browsing on the new ipad will be a lot faster than on the 1st gen one.so much faster that it will decieve your eyes.i can base this because i own a new ipad and there is a 1st gen lieing in our house and when i switch in between them it is almost like using some cheap netbook vs a i7 rig.even mulitasking and gaming deliver a huge difference.

3- there is also a big difference in the form factor between the 1st gen ipad and the ipad2/new ipad.though the difference isnt really noticable,you will certainly feel it when you use it extensively which it seems you do.the current gen is much lighter and better to hold.

4 the size factor - having owned the kindle fire and used the nexus 7 for a couple of days i honestly find the 10 inch ipad screen to be a one stop solution.the screen is beautiful and the media looks wonderful as well as i find it more comfortable typing with 2 hands as opposed to the narrow screen of the kindle fire.There is also a huge real world performance difference between the ipad and the android tablets i mentioned.

to summarise my views i just think you are due a upgrade to the device which has served you well.

Back