Graphic Cards Complete CrossFire Comparison between P35/P45/X38/X48

Supra

Skilled
Have you had your eyes on the new Radeon HD 4000 series? Well if you have and you are considering placing two of them in Crossfire, we have an article you should check out first. For those using older P35 and X38 motherboards you may find this article particularly interesting, as we compare the Crossfire performance of these older chipsets to the newer P45 and X48 chipsets...

Legion Hardware

The results are interesting :)

Nice find. So the X48 does indeed have a n edge over P45 when it comes to Crossfire though the gains may not always make it worth while for every one considering the price difference between the two chipsets.

Supra said:
who the faak is supriya ! are u half blind :p

backtoexistence said:
errr.. sorry i yam bad with names :ashamed:

i corrected the ur name :p

LOL..Supra, maybe he was looking at your avatar more than your title. :bleh:

Right now P45 does look great running crossfire considering the price... X38 & X48 though faster does not justify the % improvement against cost...

Good find Supra...

You dont only pay for crossfire when you are buying X series.

You pay for the features, overall performance, memory performance, CPU performance. And in real world applications, it does make difference.

If you go out to buy the ultimate P45 board like P5Q deluxe, it still cost you 12k here. Which I agree is better buy than say IX38 quad GT.

But boards like Foxconn Blackops, Gigabyte X48 DQ6, Rampage formula. P5E are in the league of their own. You need to pay a lot to get these boards, but they also offer plenty in return.

Funky said:
You dont only pay for crossfire when you are buying X series.
You pay for the features, overall performance, memory performance, CPU performance. And in real world applications, it does make difference.

If you go out to buy the ultimate P45 board like P5Q deluxe, it still cost you 12k here. Which I agree is better buy than say IX38 quad GT.

But boards like Foxconn Blackops, Gigabyte X48 DQ6, Rampage formula. P5E are in the league of their own. You need to pay a lot to get these boards, but they also offer plenty in return.

Funky the difference in performance btw the the X series and the P45 is mainly in the Synthetic benchmarks, if you look at the real world applications there isn't much 'noticeable' difference, considering the price difference between the two.

The X48 boards would only be preferred by the enthusiasts interested in benching and all they are concerned about are the numbers, for real world applications including gaming, I feel the P45 would be a much better option, and the P45 is no slouch when it comes to over clocking.

So I am not sure about the 'league' of the X48 boards you mentioned, for example you are fortunate enough to have tested both the X48 DQ6 and the P5Q- Deluxe, can you substantiate the difference in performance for 5k?

ut boards like Foxconn Blackops, Gigabyte X48 DQ6, Rampage formula. P5E are in the league of their own. You need to pay a lot to get these boards, but they also offer plenty in return.

Well P5Q-E is arnd 10k or so :p(P5Q dlx has nthing much extra actually)....and considering the X48 board are well above 17-18k....I seriously dont see the value. It will be something like getting a QX 9650 for 1500$ when Q6600 is just 200$. Of course for poor bunnies like its all air :p

I agree with you 100% on that. Infact someone like me who is on P35 will eb more than happy with its "real world cost to performance ratio":)

repped.

Jasku said:
Funky the difference in performance btw the the X series and the P45 is mainly in the Synthetic benchmarks, if you look at the real world applications there isn't much 'noticeable' difference, considering the price difference between the two.

The X48 boards would only be preferred by the enthusiasts interested in benching and all they are concerned about are the numbers, for real world applications including gaming, I feel the P45 would be a much better option, and the P45 is no slouch when it comes to over clocking.

So I am not sure about the 'league' of the X48 boards you mentioned, for example you are fortunate enough to have tested both the X48 DQ6 and the P5Q- Deluxe, can you substantiate the difference in performance for 5k?

Jasku said:

The choice depends on whether the purchaser simply wants the best value for his money or instead, the absolute best.

For Ex, can you substantiate the 5k (more in India) difference between a HD4850 and HD4870? The performance difference between the two cards is marginal, while the HD4850 is a value for money card, the 4870 is the best AMD has to offer and even though the difference is not much, they charge an additional premium for it.

The P series boards (P965, P35 and P45) are still the main-stream platforms while the X series (975X, X38 and X48) represent the absolute best in performance.

Even if you consider just the gaming performance, do you think an enthusiast who wants to crossfire dual 4870X2 would ever opt for a P45 board over than X48 one? The performance difference would widen drastically due to bandwidth limitations of the P45.

Its good that Intel for once made a good decision and provided x8 + x8 mode for crossfire rather than the useless x16 + x4 on on a main stream chip set, but it just makes it a good value for money choice for the mainstream gaming segment who use a single GPU or at most dual GPU in crossfire. But an extreme enthusiast who wants Quad Crossfire will quickly dismiss the P45 and prefer an X48 over it.

Actually it does make difference in real world.

My review contains benchmarks which can be easily quantified and are most important to enthusiast community.

Those do not include the encoding, transcoding, folding@home / WCG benchmarks. These are the things I do daily, and while encoding the X48 can give you an advantage that runs into quiet a few minutes.

Same goes to the distributed computing work units which seems to love this platform.

And then there things like dual gigabit lan, ease of oc etc etc.

Like I said, the buying decision changes from person to person. But X48 is worth every penny if you are going to put it to work. I dont care about synthetic benchmarks much. I do run them, but that does not decide what I buy. More often its ability of motherboard to oc and its feature set that impacts my buying decision. I dont buy whats best available in the market anymore. I buy good core components, and motherboard is very critical core component.

P5Q dlx and P5Q-E may sound good on paper, and they are fantastic boards. But I know some people will give up overclocking them or get soo confused while doing so that they will curse ASUS for the bios options.:p

ANything over 400-420Mhz needs some serious work on these boards.

110% AGREED!

Lord Nemesis said:
The choice depends on whether the purchaser simply wants the best value for his money or instead, the absolute best.

For Ex, can you substantiate the 5k (more in India) difference between a HD4850 and HD4870? The performance difference between the two cards is marginal, while the HD4850 is a value for money card, the 4870 is the best AMD has to offer and even though the difference is not much, they charge an additional premium for it.

The P series boards (P965, P35 and P45) are still the main-stream platforms while the X series (975X, X38 and X48) represent the absolute best in performance.

Even if you consider just the gaming performance, do you think an enthusiast who wants to crossfire dual 4870X2 would ever opt for a P45 board over than X48 one? The performance difference would widen drastically due to bandwidth limitations of the P45.

Its good that Intel for once made a good decision and provided x8 + x8 mode for crossfire rather than the useless x16 + x4 on on a main stream chip set, but it just makes it a good value for money choice for the mainstream gaming segment who use a single GPU or at most dual GPU in crossfire. But an extreme enthusiast who wants Quad Crossfire will quickly dismiss the P45 and prefer an X48 over it.

Yes Lord and Funky - I am not debating the fact that the x48 boards are the better performers (actually in most of the gaming benchmarks the x48 boards trail for some reason), all I am asking is that is the premium worth the performance that these boards have to offer??

I ask this because I am looking for an upgrade and had almost set my mind on the x48, then came the P45, and completely changed the equation and I agree, the feature set / ease of over clocking is most important to me, the dual gigabit lan! thats why this Gigabyte board really interests me

Legion Hardware

I would prefer this to Asus, over the Asus P5Q Deluxe. Funky if you ever get a chance to review this board for us!

Anyways coming back to our discussion, no doubt its an individuals choice as it always is! But pls look at the tests from a neutral perspective (coz both of u have x48-Dq6's), I think you guys would agree that at this point for single GPU setup the P45 would be the way to go barring the benchmark addicts.

Cheers.

i own the DQ6 which actually I am changing ( going for Blackops ) and I am almost certain i will be buying P5Q-E or Gigabyte EP45-DS4 for my bench / review system.

The problem with most online reviews out there is lack of details and attention to the settings.

In most reviews you will find DDR2 1066 memory bw of X48 DQ6 below 8000 MBps and P45 outperforming it. And same with gaming tests which involves crysis, Unreal 3 engine. And thats to be expected as the reviewers dont bother configuring memory timings.

Asus P5Q deluxe by default sets the memory performance level to 8 for any memory speed between 1000-1066.

Gigabyte X48 DQ6 on the other hand tends to set the same thing to 9 which decreases the performance of entire platform.

You loose as much as 1000 MBps bandwidth between setting of 7 and 9.

And thats how the whole picture is painted in front of the end user. And sadly this is same on almost all review sites. And thats how people reach conclusion about these products.

Thats why one needs to go through the user remarks and performance figures.

@ Jasku : even in Legion Hardware review link you posted, see the Everest Ultimate memory Bandwidth with 1066 Mhz memory..

And now see this screenshot of same motherboard with memory running below 1000Mhz. Here the memory performance level is configured manually. Timings are same.

Funky said:
In most reviews you will find DDR2 1066 memory bw of X48 DQ6 below 8000 MBps and P45 outperforming it. And same with gaming tests which involves crysis, Unreal 3 engine. And thats to be expected as the reviewers dont bother configuring memory timings.

Asus P5Q deluxe by default sets the memory performance level to 8 for any memory speed between 1000-1066.

Gigabyte X48 DQ6 on the other hand tends to set the same thing to 9 which decreases the performance of entire platform.

And thats how the whole picture is painted in front of the end user. And sadly this is same on almost all review sites. And thats how people reach conclusion about these products.

yup, the same way i reach my conclusions . seeing reviews i was thinking X48 platform is just a waste of bucks over P45 :S

Funky said:
i own the DQ6 which actually I am changing ( going for Blackops ) and I am almost certain i will be buying P5Q-E or Gigabyte EP45-DS4 for my bench / review system.

The problem with most online reviews out there is lack of details and attention to the settings.

@ Jasku : even in Legion Hardware review link you posted, see the Everest Ultimate memory Bandwidth with 1066 Mhz memory..

And now see this screenshot of same motherboard with memory running below 1000Mhz. Here the memory performance level is configured manually. Timings are same.

Interesting stuff Funky, a few questions:

1) Why are you switching to the Foxconn board?...cant be DDR3 memory, cause its not worth the performance gain?!

2) Will your X48 be up for sale in that case, when are you looking to purchase the Foxconn?

3)I see you point on the memory bandwidth, thanks for that,but in terms of performance, 1000MBps gain on the x48, how much of it will translate into better performance over the P45? Give us a % or in terms of how many 'fps' in comparison with the P45.

4)When do you plan to get to get the P45 based mobo? If at all the Gigabyte, will you be able to review it for us?

Cheers.

Back