PC Peripherals Cleaning Rubber ends

antz123

Adept
The mouse and Keyboard over period of time end up getting dirty.

Cleaning with Alchol ends up rubbing the rubber coating off. Moreover some keys end up loosing rubber ends which go sticky or dirty.

Anyone learnt ideal way to clean ?

Anant

why not use just a plain damp cloth to remove dust & grime instead of alcohol or spirit? you could use a damp cloth soaked in soap water to remove grime, after brushing off the dust.
cloth should be damp, not soaking wet. keep a new dry piece of cloth handy to wipe off excess moisture.

for sticky rubber, you could brush some talcum powder on it. it will fill up the pores in the rubber and make it slick.

6Pack,

my mistake i made this up as two problems but its same problem. it as i said issue with keyboard n mice both.

Both of them have someplace rubber getting worn off, some places the rubber sticky issue happens.

true with complete plastic surface nothing like soft moist cloth, it works like magic. But on rubber if you try to rub n clean anything rubber starts giving away when you rub on it.

My Razer Mamba front both buttons I had to really clean that rubber coating off. Rubber looks and feels awesome at start, then it look hedious. I patiently scratched traces of all rubber to make it worthwhile.

But i suppose eventually nothing beats plastic or metal.

Will try your talc method too. Thanks

ah i get it now. you mean the rubber coating some devices have. i had that problem on my wacom pen too. the bottom part of the pen was covered in this material which became sticky after sometime and left black traces on my fingers. I tried everything on it. From talcum powder, alcohol to soap. After wiping it, it would get messy again in few hours and in few days dust would be sticking to it. Got fed up and removed every last bit of it with a coin.

You don't use WD40 to wipe dirt. It will actually attract more dirt and dust afterwards. Were you sleepy when you posted that?

No I wasn't. The WD40 works perfectly fine to wipe off that gluey substance that gets accumulated on rubbery surfaces. I should know because I've been using this to clean it off from the analog sticks on the PS3's controller. One does not spray WD40 and keep it aside. It needs to be sprayed on a piece of cloth and wiped over the surface without leaving the slightest residue.

Alcohol dissolves the paint and rubber and isn't advisable to be used.

No I wasn't. The WD40 works perfectly fine to wipe off that gluey substance that gets accumulated on rubbery surfaces. I should know because I've been using this to clean it off from the analog sticks on the PS3's controller. One does not spray WD40 and keep it aside. It needs to be sprayed on a piece of cloth and wiped over the surface without leaving the slightest residue.

Alcohol dissolves the paint and rubber and isn't advisable to be used.

But why use a lubricant such as WD40. And it has to be completely wiped off after application, it takes time and effort and may still not be completely removed. It's better to use a non-abrasive cleaner.

But why use a lubricant such as WD40. And it has to be completely wiped off after application, it takes time and effort and may still not be completely removed. It's better to use a non-abrasive cleaner.

Thing is, the WD40 is widely accepted as a lubricant but it serves as a cleaning agent as well.

You don't have to take my word for it. Take a look at this .pdf that has compiled the several uses submitted by users to the company - http://wd40.com/files/pdf/wd-40_2042538679.pdf

Search for the keyword 'clean' within it.

Thing is, the WD40 is widely accepted as a lubricant but it serves as a cleaning agent as well.

You don't have to take my word for it. Take a look at this .pdf that has compiled the several uses submitted by users to the company - http://wd40.com/files/pdf/wd-40_2042538679.pdf

Search for the keyword 'clean' within it.

I know that it is used to clean things, but when attraction of dirt and dust is the main issue, you avoid it.

Thank you, I know sounds mad but I did another thing.

I bought like the most most most fine sand paper and as experiment used it on my old 518 mouse . The 518's right side had given in to this problem. Am actually very surprised n happy with result. Rubbers all gone, plastic isnt smooth that it would give me long time game play issues. it isnt coarse either.

@Gannu I would do a dig on WD40 and read about that. Thanks a lot

@blkrb0t - Thanks for the warning on WD40, I will do my homework before getting on the job.

@6pack - Thank you :) for coin plan, hehe if you want to try next time try the sandpaper/sanding spongehttp://www.techenclave.com/community/members/blkrb0t.38731/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back