PC Peripherals Cleaning CPU/mobo case

rkr

Disciple
I have a really dirty CPU case and now the system has started to become unstable due to heat. It restarts after every 2 hrs. Also, my core 2 quad Q6600 runs at almost 90 degrees C. Please suggest me how to clean the case and fans etc.

I have seen guides online. Some mention compressed air, others some compressor.:confused1: I have neither! And want to clean the cheapest possible way.....any help appreciated.

System Specs
Intel Core2Quad Q6600
MSI P35 Platinum Combo
Sapphire HD 7750 (Newly installed; earlier I had XFX 8600GT)
Transcend 2GB DDR 667
Zebronics Shivaji case
Zebronics 450W PSU
Dell SP2008WFP 20" monitor (1680 x 1050)

@rkr

Just a word of caution buddy. In your quest to find the cheapest possible way don't even by chance use a vacuum cleaner to clean your PC components.

If you haven't done it before & are not confident of doing it then you could call in either a PC maintenance guy or a friend who has done it before to guide you.

Even a small hand operated air blow pump which doesn't cost much could help you in cleaning the PC but it could get messy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a really dirty CPU case and now the system has started to become unstable due to heat. It restarts after every 2 hrs. Also, my core 2 quad Q6600 runs at almost 90 degrees C. Please suggest me how to clean the case and fans etc.

Intel Core2Quad Q6600
Sapphire HD 7750 (Newly installed; earlier I had XFX 8600GT)
Zebronics 450W PSU

Can we have a few pictures of your case interiors, they can explain a lot about the heat; in fact, a messy interior = trapped hot air = rise in ambient temperatures = rise in component temperatures. All this is a cycle and adds greater pressure on your system.

Next up your SMPS is inadequate for your system and depending on where you stay it may be working on the razor's edge thanks to the heat. Please replace this with a --
Corsair CX V2 430W ~2600/-
Cooler Master GX450W ~3400/-

A few pointers to clean your cabinet --

If you want to buy some TIM, you can get it from SVG Tech. Here is the deal thread.

Another article on PC cleaning by SPCR.

Please note while cleaning your PC, ground yourself using an anti-static bag [in which you get hard-drives and motherboards et al] OR anti-static wrist band.

Also please make sure that you have powered off all components [manually switching the SMPS off].

Just a word of caution buddy. In your quest to find the cheapest possible way don't even by chance use a vacuum cleaner to clean your PC components.

I have used a vacuum cleaner to clean my PC.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

I use this Electric Air Dryer Portable Blower Vacuum vaccum | eBay

Your PSU could also be the reason for the restarts

Doesn't this dryer cause the static electricity problems like others?

@rkr

If you haven't done it before & are not confident of doing it then you could call in either a PC maintenance guy or a friend who has done it before to guide you.

Even a small hand operated air blow pump which doesn't cost much could help you in cleaning the PC but it could get messy.

Actually, I'm the PC maintenance guy/friend for all of my circles. :p
Just that I've never done this before...

Can we have a few pictures of your case interiors, they can explain a lot about the heat; in fact, a messy interior = trapped hot air = rise in ambient temperatures = rise in component temperatures. All this is a cycle and adds greater pressure on your system.

Next up your SMPS is inadequate for your system and depending on where you stay it may be working on the razor's edge thanks to the heat. Please replace this with a --
Corsair CX V2 430W ~2600/-
Cooler Master GX450W ~3400/-

A few pointers to clean your cabinet --

If you want to buy some TIM, you can get it from SVG Tech. Here is the deal thread.

Another article on PC cleaning by SPCR.

Please note while cleaning your PC, ground yourself using an anti-static bag [in which you get hard-drives and motherboards et al] OR anti-static wrist band.

Also please make sure that you have powered off all components [manually switching the SMPS off].

I have used a vacuum cleaner to clean my PC.

Will upload PC cabinet pics as soon as I get get home.

You are suggesting SMPS with same or less power than mine. I can't understand how it would be better?:confused1:

Use IPA to clean ur mobo and CPU and then dry it with a Hair dryer. Clean the fan of the Heat Sink and then you can spray Zorik88 in the Fan to run smoothly.

Your PC is highly under-powered by that PSU, you need to get a new PSU ASAP. I cant believe you're running a Q6600+7750 on a ZEBRONICS PSU!!!! You could've very easily lost everything inside the case permanently due to that PSU and it'll happen very soon for you too. That PC is not restarting because of overheating !! it's restarting because of overloading!!!.

For leaning tips writing stuff will hardly make you understand anything, I suggest you watch & download some helpful videos from YouTube. These videos might not match your simple cabinet but they'll give you enough details and tips for you to improvise and dominate :D :

LINK1
LINK2
LINK3
LINK4
LINK5

1 tip - I suggest you stay away from vacuum cleaners and hair dryers due to the high amount of static charge it releases, it'll probably destroy your RAM/Board etc... Use brushes of different kinds and dusting cloth.
If you have a copper base heatsink don't use any detergent, only use a kitchen cleaner like VIM etc..

If you have any further doubts from the videos w.r.t your PC, TE will help you.

My CPU case images:
wp000124.jpg

wp000123x.jpg

wp000122.jpg

wp000121x.jpg

wp000120k.jpg

wp000119u.jpg

wp000118.jpg

Use IPA to clean ur mobo and CPU and then dry it with a Hair dryer. Clean the fan of the Heat Sink and then you can spray Zorik88 in the Fan to run smoothly.

Can you suggest where can I get cheap and safe to use IPA in delhi? Are there brands I should consider?

Your PC is highly under-powered by that PSU, you need to get a new PSU ASAP. I cant believe you're running a Q6600+7750 on a ZEBRONICS PSU!!!! You could've very easily lost everything inside the case permanently due to that PSU and it'll happen very soon for you too. That PC is not restarting because of overheating !! it's restarting because of overloading!!!.

For leaning tips writing stuff will hardly make you understand anything, I suggest you watch & download some helpful videos from YouTube. These videos might not match your simple cabinet but they'll give you enough details and tips for you to improvise and dominate :D :

LINK1
LINK2
LINK3
LINK4
LINK5

1 tip - I suggest you stay away from vacuum cleaners and hair dryers due to the high amount of static charge it releases, it'll probably destroy your RAM/Board etc... Use brushes of different kinds and dusting cloth.
If you have a copper base heatsink don't use any detergent, only use a kitchen cleaner like VIM etc..

If you have any further doubts from the videos w.r.t your PC, TE will help you.

Will surely watch videos and report back! Thanks
Also see my CPU/mobo pics and please suggest better (specific) cleaning methods for my config...

You require a rear exhaust fan, remove 1 side intake 80mm fan and fix it in the rear exhaust position. You need a front intake fan too, get a 120mm amigo 77cfm fan if u have a 120mm slot else get a delta/desi :) 80mm fan for the front intake.

Overall dusting is required, remove each and every component and clean them all separately. Lay them all on a wooden table neatly to increase the efficiency of your work.

Clean your CPU HSF properly by detaching the CPU fan from the Heat Sink.

Improve the cable management.

Don't use a vacuum cleaner/hair dryer.

For you the IPA is useful only for cleaning the thermal paste off the CPU cooler base. Don't use it to clean other parts just now since this is your first time.

You are suggesting SMPS with same or less power than mine. I can't understand how it would be better?

Well the reasons are --
  • Zebronics doesn't send its SMPS to be certified for efficiency;
  • I doubt that Zebronics OR for that matter any local Indian / Chinese SMPS [iBall, FronTech et al] can provide the rated output they claim, most cannot supply more than ~300W and that also will be really erratic and under the best of circumstance;
  • if you want to compare a decent SMPS to a none decent piece, just lift a local SMPS and then any of the Cooler Master OR Corsair offerings the difference in weight will be a ready reckoner;
  • The Corsair CX V2 430W and Cooler Master GX450W are the best budget SMPS in the market currently.

Apart from that your PC needs a lot of cleaning and the new SMPS.

@aman.pitbull has already suggested what you have to do, so get a new SMPS and get cleaning.

Apart from the above a few articles pertaining to improving your cable routing -- Cable Tidying Guide | bit-tech.net / Computer Case Cable Management | Case Mods and Computer Hardware / Maximum PC | Screw Cable Management!.

And here is how to apply TIM on your processor and clean motherboard using an IPA OR alcohol based cleaner [OR alcohol itself] -- Guide - How TIM Works & How To Apply It Correctly | bit-tech.net / Thermal Paste and How To Use It.

1. Don't use a vacuum cleaner as it generates static electricity when close to components (in suction mode). It may work in blower mode, but then you would have dust all over the place. I used the blower mode on a few 24x7 i386 machines that had more dust than Saudi Arabia, but after putting them on a terrace and with my mouth and nose firmly covered. Not pleasant at all. Since then I simply use filters, and clean more often.

2. Your PSU sucks. I doubt it will ever deliver 450W, unless it is struck by lightning. The Zebronics Pro series is barely capable of delivering rated load, and costs 2x the default Zebronics power supplies. A change is highly advisable, and this may make your overall system more stable. A 450W sticker on that PSU is like the 180 km/h speedometer on a Maruti 800. It will never get there, and damage itself if you attempt to do so.

3. The dust doesn't actually look too bad, I've seen much worse. I would simply pull the system apart, and put it through a sequence of dry dust cleaning using a toothbrush+horsehair brush. This is for the caked dust on heatpipes and heatsinks, and a few of the bigger components. This is followed by a wash using 100% isopropyl alcohol (you can use the more common 70% but then you'll have to wait four days for the board to dry out) to clean the actual board and all the smaller components. Scrub lightly as the wash is proceeding, a toothbrush is fine. Remember that when a PCB is soldered on, the final wash is with distilled water. The danger is not in getting the board wet, but in switching on a wet board. Know the difference.

4. The CPU itself should be cleaned with acetone, similarly for the contact patch on the heatsink. The heatsink itself can be merrily subjected to a vacuum cleaner, and I use water jets after removing the fan from its retention. This gets even the most hidden dust bunnies cleaned off.

5. After doing all of this the place where the mud will form is inside all open apertures: CPU sockets, PCI slots, memory slots, etc. It is advisable to tape these over, or if that is not possible, pay them special attention after the wash (remember this is not supposed to be a shower under a hose, just a cleaning wash). I normally keep the CPU in its socket, and then use a combination of bond paper and a safety pin to clean out all slots and socket. Of course with BGA CPUs like yours even that may not be necessary, a good drying (no hairdryers!!!!) will restore full functionality.

Thanks everyone for the replies :)

After reading I have found these options for cleaning:

1. Electric Air Dryer Portable Blower Vacuum vaccum | eBay
^recommended by Arjun

2. Vacuum Cleaner.
^ Most people recommend against this so I'll probably not go with this.

3. Small hand operated air blow pump
^recommended by cooleagle

4. Soft lint free cloth, ear-buds, brushes
^recommended by ALPHA17, aman.pitbull, cranky

5. Compressed air can
^recommended by ALPHA17

6. Hair Drier
^recommended by iknowledge. derecommened by aman.pitbull

In many videos also I saw compressed air cans. Are they easily and cheaply available in India(delhi)? I think it's easier to clean using compressed air...Though I'll also use cloths/brushes etc.

I was considering buying the compressed air cans when I though would it be good idea if instead I got the small USB vacuums/blowers easily available at Nehru Place(Delhi).
It would turn out cheaper as an investment, I guess.

What do you guys say? Will the small USB vacuum/blower also create enough static to damage the mobo?

Use a vacuum cleaner only if it has a blower mode.
Not otherwise.
Your heatsink though can be vacuumed without problem, but only after you remove it from the motherboard.

As everyone has said, just take a cloth and wipe it, and use a brush for difficult areas.

Compressed air can is easy, but requires a little experience since there are cases of the high air pressure physically damaging components.

@rkr I had told you that vacuum is safe, I had not mentioned using it on blow mode. I have done it multiple times with no ill effect, just make sure that you remove all components like processor, RAM modules and graphics card.

Thanks @Jarod, for putting me out of the dilemma.

Power down the SMPS [with the physical switch on the rear] and remove all the connectors from the motherboard.

For cleaning the other finer components use alcohol based cleaner OR after shave [I prefer this as I have plenty] / real alcohol [excluding beer] in conjunction with a fine cloth and dry brush; then reassemble the system and redo the cabling inside the RIG and power on to test.

P.S. -- Change the SMPS for any of the ones I suggested, it is the main the culprit for your woes.
To clean dust bunnies OR any residue on the surface of the motherboard / processor [thermal paste] / graphics card, dab the cloth with cleaner and rub it gently to remove any traces of residue.

Did you use vccum / blower ?
Not yet. I'm just procrastinating till I buy a new PSU.

Use a vacuum cleaner only if it has a blower mode.
Not otherwise.
Your heatsink though can be vacuumed without problem, but only after you remove it from the motherboard.

As everyone has said, just take a cloth and wipe it, and use a brush for difficult areas.

Compressed air can is easy, but requires a little experience since there are cases of the high air pressure physically damaging components.
So I can use ANY vacuum in blower mode and that won't cause any static damage to the components? (It will just spread the dust around :p)
Please confirm as then I'll not buy those cans of compressed air...

@rkr I had told you that vacuum is safe, I had not mentioned using it on blow mode. I have done it multiple times with no ill effect, just make sure that you remove all components like processor, RAM modules and graphics card.

Thanks @Jarod, for putting me out of the dilemma.

Power down the SMPS [with the physical switch on the rear] and remove all the connectors from the motherboard.

For cleaning the other finer components use alcohol based cleaner OR after shave [I prefer this as I have plenty] / real alcohol [excluding beer] in conjunction with a fine cloth and dry brush; then reassemble the system and redo the cabling inside the RIG and power on to test.

P.S. -- Change the SMPS for any of the ones I suggested, it is the main the culprit for your woes.
To clean dust bunnies OR any residue on the surface of the motherboard / processor [thermal paste] / graphics card, dab the cloth with cleaner and rub it gently to remove any traces of residue.

Just confirming....do you mean to say that vacuum is okay but not blower mode? (It is oppsite to what Jarod says):confused1:
I'll be buying an SMPS soon but I was wondering if I should get something > 450W. For future proofing? Should I? If yes, then please suggest prices for the same....

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Back