PC Peripherals Caution about Corsair's TX series - V2 discontinued, models updated again

Crazy_Eddy

Staff member
Super Mod
The TX V2 models (Seasonic based) have been discontinued for a new TX series which uses CWT for the 650W unit and Chicony Power Technology aka Hipro for the 750W/850W units.

No reviews on the 750W/850W models yet. But the 650W is essentially the same CWT PUQ (B) platform as the GS series; even the caps on the secondary are the same Samxon GF series :eek: - notorious for being a bad series.

The news is a bit old, the update happened couple of months back. But I'm not sure if people are aware of this or if these updated parts have started shipping in India yet, so check that you are getting a V2 or else avoid them.

Damn. Corsair really skimping on their HX and TX series.
However, before blaming them, I would like to see someone reputed to review their lineup again and see if there is any difference in quality. If they still are maintaining their quality, I don't have a problem with the OEMs they use.
As of now I think only the AX series PSUs are the ones you can be truly trust.

Time for people to move on to Seasonic. :D

...just a correction on the HX series, I am not posting about the TX at all.
In the HX series apart form the HX650 the others were not made by Seasonic in the first place they were all along made by
CWT. Corsair has just deduced more efficiency form the HX750/850 with the SAME CWT unit inside and is rating those at Gold compared to the earlier Silver ones,
There is no Switch in these except on the HX650 from Seasonic to CWT or vice versa.

Yeah the HX series is still excellent, even the refreshed models, so no problems there. Above info only applies to the TX series since it was the cheapest series in Corsair's lineup that was well built.

Also I'm not suggesting that every CWT is bad, i'm just saying the CWT PUQ (B) platform used in the new TX and the GS is no good. The HX750/850 also used CWT but it was the DSG platform that is far better than the PUQ (B). The newer HX750/850 Gold units still use CWT but not sure if its the same DSG which has been tweaked or its newer.

The HX650 still uses Seasonic but they're based on the newer Seasonic G-series platform. Considering the Seasonic G550 in India is overpriced and costs as much as the HX650, its a no brainer to pick the HX650.

I bought today a Corsair TX650 PS. I asked for a v2 which Prime did not have and they said V2 is replaced with TX650 i.e no V2 marking on the box. The same was the case with Itwares. I was not aware of this thread and frankly was a bit confused about which PS is good so went ahead and bought it.
The sticker by importer mentions its a V2 model but the main box just says TX650. Its a March 2013 import. Atleast the importer sticker says that
Anyway I can come to know if mine is a new or old lot PS?
Thanks

Post the serial number and I will let you know which one it is...But think about it March 2013 its gotta be the V2 in all likly hood, hell even they sent me a new version from RMA....

Post the serial number and I will let you know which one it is...But think about it March 2013 its gotta be the V2 in all likly hood, hell even they sent me a new version from RMA....

Not sure if this is the serial number but this is what i could find

CP-9020038-UK

I regret I did not buy HX650 which has a 7 years warranty and is from better series. Price of HX650 was 6800 and TX650 was 6025
But as it is in India no one gives a good advice to a customer. Not that this is a bad PS, but for few hundred more i could have got a better one

Also specs are confusing. On the corsair US website HX650 is Gold certified where as in ITWARES website its bronze certified.

Also the price at Prime was 5700 but since i had already commited to Itwares I bought from them. Their price was 6025 INR for Tx650v2

Do i need to register anywhere for warranty or invoice is enough? Cant find any website to register the product

CP
Not sure if this is the serial number but this is what i could find

CP-9020038-UK

I regret I did not buy HX650 which has a 7 years warranty and is from better series. Price of HX650 was 6800 and TX650 was 6025
But as it is in India no one gives a good advice to a customer. Not that this is a bad PS, but for few hundred more i could have got a better one

Also specs are confusing. On the corsair US website HX650 is Gold certified where as in ITWARES website its bronze certified.

Also the price at Prime was 5700 but since i had already commited to Itwares I bought from them. Their price was 6025 INR for Tx650v2

Do i need to register anywhere for warranty or invoice is enough? Cant find any website to register the product

CP-xxxxxxxx is the newer ones...

Look below:

This is Version 1:

This is version 2:

Now you can spot the difference,,,

CP-9020038-UK
Sounds like the new/V3 version. The PSU itself will say "Model : 75-001315" on the sticker :

If you've not opened up the packing, I would say exchange it for the HX650. Its way way better.
Can you confirm the HX650 price? Chaos was looking for one, and prices were close to 8K.

The HX650 was also updated. The older version was 80+ Bronze. The new version is 80+ Gold. As per Infected the new HX series are already available in India.

The outer box of the PS I bought matches with new unofficial V3 version Eddy has posted

The IT Wares website is showing the v2 version pictures on its website

I bought the TX650 for Rs. 6025/- from Itwares. Prime told me the price was Rs 5700 but I cannot recollect which version it was (going by the picture of the outer box)

The ITWARES website is showing the price of HX650 as INR 6800/-. But the pictures and specification mention about the older bronze certified version. So best is ti confirm with either Prime or Itwares what version they have in stock and what is the price

I have already installed the power supply else I would have chosen to exchange it for a HX650 provided the price of new Gold certified is 6800/- but even the TX650 is a big overkill for my machine :)

I wanted to know if i need to register the product on corsair website to get the warranty or seller invoice is enough. The invoice does not mention any serial number of the product

Again, thank you all of you and specially crazy_eddy

I hope they are available I got mine form Amazon, its a HX1050, it worked out cheaper importing one.
I sold my new RMA'ed HX750 here on TE last month.

On warranty I got warranty with no questions asked without an invoice, the Sn no. is enough for them as well.

Back