OC & Modding AMD system - Can't install Thermalright Heatsink [RESOLVED using another backplate]

kvikram

Skilled
So, I recently bought a Thermalright Ultra 120 E Black, and I've had great trouble installing it on my AMD system.

Take a look at this picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vp5f3r4raatsl3i/not high enough.jpg?v=0mcn

As you can see the screw thread of the backplate (or "pillar", as the manual calls it), is not tall enough for the spring-loaded screw to reach it.

This is another picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5v4d87p70qiwy7n/tilts too much.jpg?v=0mcn

Here I have screwed in just one screw very slightly. You can see how much the entire retention mechanism tilts to the side. It seems impossible to push down the other side to screw in a screw on the other side, because the spring just won't compress.

I even tested the spring-loaded screw separately to see how far the spring would compress. After exertion of a considerable amount of force, I was able to compress the spring only very slightly, and it was nowhere near enough to screw in screws on both sides of the retention mechanism.

One more thing to note is that the screw threads in the holes in the backplate are located at the lower half of the holes, which means that the screw has to go quite far in before it can begin turning, or being screwed in.

Although this heatsink is technically supposed to be compatible with this socket (AM3), it just doesn't seem to work out practically because the 'pillars' on the mobo's backplate aren't tall enough. The mobo is a Dell mobo, part of the Dell Studio XPS 7100 build.

I've tried numerous times to install the heatsink. But after testing the spring-loaded screw separately, it really seems that the spring will never compress enough for me to screw the screws on both sides.

Thoughts?

P.S. I bought this heatsink from @Gannu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually Thermalright sinks need a separate bolt-through kit for installation on AMD platforms. TR sells them and are available from any dealer. This includes the bracket you have, but also a different backplate. It might work OK with the stock AMD backplate but unlikely the Dell has a regular backplate. The way you describe the thread being deeper than the opening for the bolt, it's probably a custom plate anyway. You may have some luck if you comes across a blown AM2/AM3 board from which you can salvage a backplate before you spend any cash. Another thing you might want to try is longer bolts, but I wouldn't advise that as even a mildy loose mount can be disastrous with such a heavy sink.

It's worth noting that AMD coolers require far more mounting pressure than Intel coolers, even the cam on the stock cooler exerts about 3x the pressure on the mount than the Intel plastic pushpins. This obviously has its advantages, but one big drawback is a more rigid installation with some unnecessary force required to install and remove sinks.

Usually Thermalright sinks need a separate bolt-through kit for installation on AMD platforms. TR sells them and are available from any dealer. This includes the bracket you have, but also a different backplate. It might work OK with the stock AMD backplate but unlikely the Dell has a regular backplate. The way you describe the thread being deeper than the opening for the bolt, it's probably a custom plate anyway. You may have some luck if you comes across a blown AM2/AM3 board from which you can salvage a backplate before you spend any cash. Another thing you might want to try is longer bolts, but I wouldn't advise that as even a mildy loose mount can be disastrous with such a heavy sink.

It's worth noting that AMD coolers require far more mounting pressure than Intel coolers, even the cam on the stock cooler exerts about 3x the pressure on the mount than the Intel plastic pushpins. This obviously has its advantages, but one big drawback is a more rigid installation with some unnecessary force required to install and remove sinks.

Thank you so much for the information!

TE is probably the only place where I can salvage a backplate from someone. Will open a separate thread for this.

Otherwise, if I had to buy that kit, I think this is the kit I have to buy: http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/accessories/amd_btk_revc.html

Where can I get such a kit in Bangalore?

EDIT: Here's the thread: http://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/stock-am2-am3-backplate.149138/

hi,i have installed the same heatsink on both AM2 and AM3 sockets.What you mentioned is true.Its a real pain in the a** to reach the screw holes.But i managed to fix the cooler after some effort.Put one screw just enough to hold it in place,then try the screw diagonally opposite.This will align the bracket and you can comfortably place the next two screws.It will take a good amount of force,somehow you will feel that you are gonna break the motherboard or compress the processor and socket.
I fixed it on the stock backplate..

I bought the bolt through kit for around 500 sometime back from Prime ABGB so that I could install a Thermalright Ultra 120 (not extreme) to my 1055T+Gigabyte 880G system. OMG it was such a pain in the ass, even with the kit I faced trouble trying to properly install the heatsink and even on my best attempts the heatsink always had a slight slant to it. On the bright side, atleast it held up fine lol.

Anyways do what thomasjude has suggested above, it is the same thing I had to do to get a good fit. Work slightly with one screw, then switch to the diagonal opposite until finally it is seated deep enough. Attach the last two screws last. You will need to apply some pressure. Let me know if you have queries wrt the bolt-through kit.

You may be right. I don't suppose you could get a hold of an AMD stock backplate to try again right?

You may be right. I don't suppose you could get a hold of an AMD stock backplate to try again right?
Well I really don't think I would be able to get a stock backplate anywhere. I opened a thread to see if anyone on TE would have it and be willing it ship to me for a small price, but the chances seem pretty slim. http://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/stock-am2-am3-backplate.149138/

I am going to hold out for two or three days to see if anyone has a backplate here on TE. Otherwise I'm going to have to buy that retention kit from primeabgb.com

Instead, you should've opened a WTB for dead AMD motherboards OR You can try Asus/Gigabyte/MSI service centre for the backplate OR you can go to your local pasti market and hunt for the part you need ....

Lots of options here instead of that 500 bucks bolt-through kit.

I should have done that. Will PM a mod to change the title maybe.

I googled service centers in my city (Salem) and found a gigabyte service centre. Was only able to find general service centers otherwise. Will go there tomorrow and give them the backplate and ask if they have something like that.

I really feel sorry for this mess now! :(

Please try sourcing a backplate from someone if you can. I am assuming you have used the screws for the AMD setup. The screws for the Intel retention mechanism is longer I believe. Also, try not to completely screw one into the backplate. Once a screw has gone a few threads into the hole, try the diagonally opposite one while not screwing it down completely. Follow the same for the remaining ones as well. If you have tried it already as I'd mentioned back in the PM, the best bet would be to source an alternate backplate.

Don't be. Neither of us could have anticipated this to happen.

And I did it exactly like you said. Screwed in one screw slightly and went for the diagonally opposite screw. I pressed down on the RM so hard to reach the screw threads that I ended up launching the other screw across the room. :p :(

Tomorrow I'm going to go to the Gigabyte service centre to see if I can get a back plate dude. I don't know anyone else who meddles with computer hardware so I won't be able to get a backplate from anyone.

Will keep you updated.

What you could also try is sourcing some long bolts and nuts, but of a thread pattern that will go right through the holes. You then use two of them to hold the sink down to your backplate temporarily on one set of opposite corners (don't forget the springs), then use the 'normal' bolts to fasten the other two corners. Then you can remove the longer bolts and use the regular screws on the corners you freed up.

IINM the bolts are normally M4, so you will need a M2 or M1 (M3 will foul in the thread and not go through). Unfortunately this may not be possible to find in your town. Another possibility is slightly longer bolts of the same thread. but only slightly longer, else you may end up with a loose mount.

Trusting a few bolts to hold the entire weight of the cooler against the motherboard seems risky imo.

Oh I meant nuts and I understood it now. Would required quite a bit of 'jugaad' but its definitely possible.

What you could also try is sourcing some long bolts and nuts, but of a thread pattern that will go right through the holes. You then use two of them to hold the sink down to your backplate temporarily on one set of opposite corners (don't forget the springs), then use the 'normal' bolts to fasten the other two corners. Then you can remove the longer bolts and use the regular screws on the corners you freed up.

IINM the bolts are normally M4, so you will need a M2 or M1 (M3 will foul in the thread and not go through). Unfortunately this may not be possible to find in your town. Another possibility is slightly longer bolts of the same thread. but only slightly longer, else you may end up with a loose mount.
Well, very much unlike a metropolitan city, there is no centralized "tech road" in my town where you can buy all the hardware that you want. Considering time, energy and petrol costs hunting for these parts, I think I'd much rather go for buying the bolt-thru kit. :p I see it as a permanent, worthy investment for something that I use every day. Will check with that Gigabyte service centre tomorrrow, otherwise probably ordering the kit.

Back