Buying 55" LED, need suggestions

Hi Friends,

Trust you are doing great.

I am looking to buy a 46"/55" inch LED from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia ( i currently live here). I might bring this to India down the line ( i am aware of 36% tax).

1. Budget. 4000 - 5000 (SAR, i.e. 1 SAR = 16 INR)

2. Viewing distance. - 8 - 10 Feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. Console, HDD & media player in future

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV. - LED Only

5. Preference for brands. Any

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? No

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. Average

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. - Wont mind 3D

I have browsed available models here from major electronic showrooms. Have mentioned few of the prices below -

1. Samsung 55" F75000 - 7000 SAR
2. Samsung 46" F7500 - 4500 SAR
3. Samsung 55" F6400 - 5000 SAR
4. Samsung 46" F6400 - 3300
5. Sharp 60 LE 631 - 5000 SAR
6. Sony W600B 48" - 3700 SAR.
7. Chinese Models 55" FHD - 2400

Please suggest which model should i look for & from which brand.

p.s. - I bought a Samsung plasma 51F5500 which went bad after 1 year & 3 month. so i am confused whether to buy Samsung or not (though its PQ is amazing)

I have a question around customs, if in future i bring this LED to India & i furnish a bill with lesser amount, then will i be charged 36% on that bill or custom people refer to some other prices ?

Thanks in advance !!
Peace..

I will start bottoms-up!

Customs: you will be charged as per the whims of the Customs guy on that day. They maintain a sheet of paper with their own rates, even if you got the TV free, they still charge the duty as per their rates.

Of the list you have put up, the Samsung Series 6 (6350, 6400 etc) - is the recommended by this year's Consumer Reports in their annual electronics buying guide.

Remember that you may not get any service from Samsung. There is some chance of getting service from Sony. Neither of them will provide warranty.

Depending on where you live, ask your family members to call up the Sony / Sammy service centers, tell them that an imported TV has developed a snag & see the response & accordingly decide the brand.

Most of the electronics on the planet originate from China, so no comment on "chinese models".

Back