Camera Budget flashgun discussion

Aces170

ex-Mod
Ok, so next on my wish list is a budget flash gun something in the range of 10-12k. Ofcourse I am not gonna purchase for another 2 months but let the discussion role. What options do I have?

I had initially shortlisted Nissin Di622 markII its a pretty powerful flash for 12k..

I am thinking of getting a couple of Yongnuo 467's with RF603 triggers. Dirt cheap so will be a inexpensive way of experimenting before moving on the expensive equipment

I am thinking of getting a couple of Yongnuo 467's with RF603 triggers.

Appo am a complete newbie on strobist techniques. What is the price of the above equipment, and how does the RF trigger work, are they camera body dependent (mine does not have wireless flash support).

Aces170 said:
Appo am a complete newbie on strobist techniques. What is the price of the above equipment, and how does the RF trigger work, are they camera body dependent (mine does not have wireless flash support).
Me too a complete noob but there are quite a few pro's in our group. So learning a bit from them.
The two flashes + the triggers are ~10k and I've seen plenty of people with 1000D's using this same combo so I think it works just fine.
You can order these from ebay, quite a few sellers have them in stock.
Another wireless trigger system that Joe recommends for beginners is the Cactus v5, check that out too.

A bump for this thread. What are the budget flashgun options for a Canon 550D? The Yongnuo 468 retails at around 4.5k on ebay UK.

well i would go for these :

1 yongnuo 468

1 yongnuo 560

cactus V5 triggers

and add to that 1 TTL sync cord.

1) You'll always want the comfort of TTL, so 1 yn-468 it is.

2) if you want to use 2 lights, then it has to be manual for the 2nd one so the YN 560 for the extra power.

3) I would choose the cactus V5 over the yongnuo rf-603 triggers because cactus works on all systems. The rf-603 are specific to canon or nikon, and in nikon there are 2 version (one for cheapo bodies and one for the expensive ones)

4) one cord, just as a backup

I guess with this setup you can move both the flashes off camera as well - cord--> V5 trigger --> flash , and another flash mounted on the V5 as well.

American prices would run to around 220$ total

Hmm flashes always confuse me :p

In Canon apart from 600D none of the budget bodies support wireless flash. Hence the second flash will always need to be manually set, now that is a cumbersome process which results in a lot of under/over exposure. Hence I am sticking with one powerful ETTL flash, and maybe over the years if I upgrade to a better body will buy a second flash.

I dont think its hard to set flash power. What is hard is to match the object and the background exposure.

Use aperture/iso to adjust exposure of the flashed object. Use shutter speed to adjust background exposure.

I'm thinking of going with just the Yongnuo 468 for now. I have absolutely no idea about using flashes, and this will be an experiment to me. I can always add later. The only reason I'm even thinking of a flashgun right now is that my co-brother will be visiting London in the first week of May, and I wanted to make use of his trip to my advantage.

Is there any other essential item for my DSLR that is cheaper in UK than in India, and that falls under 5k INR in value? A monopod and a backpack are on my list, but I believe they are available for almost similar prices locally.

A backpack would probably be cheaper, check it out. If you are getting just 1 flash, be sure to get a cord as well, so that you can move the flash off-camera.

I have shortlisted and would be getting the Nissin Di622 mk2 after all. The wireless TTL feature will be very helpful as and when i upgrade the body..

Back