BSNL Wimax - Review

major9

Adept
After getting frustrated over Airtel FUP I decided to check out BSNL's Wimax. I called BSNL today & asked them for a Demo. And promptly in the evening they came to my house.

They fixed their Indoor CPE (not USB) next to PC & tried the signals. But since 3 towers were giving strong signals the Indoor CPE kept changing towers which caused interference. So, they said internal wasn't possible as of now. The same will also be a problem for USB CPE.

Then they tried the Outdoor CPE. This CPE can be fixed to a position to catch signals of a particular tower. I got good signals using this.

I tried the pings on Speedtest.net from Colombo server, it gave me about 229mi And from Mumbai around 300mi. The Unlimited plan speed gives you 512kbps but in Kerala they have kept it 512 - 2mbps as of now which may change anytime.

I asked them if Weather will cause any probs. They told as of now no customer has reported any probs.
One thing they told me was that the service of Wimax will be much better compared to Landline BSNL as the only important things are the Tower & CPE which can be fixed easily unlike the cable system of landline.

Need your opinions.

major9 said:
I asked them if Weather will cause any probs. They told as of now no customer has reported any probs.

One thing they told me was that the service of Wimax will be much better compared to Landline BSNL as the only important things are the Tower & CPE which can be fixed easily unlike the cable system of landline.

Need your opinions.
Hey nice work...don't you think wimax tariffs are high when compared to other wireless services like EVDO or 3g? i've seem many people get good speeds with 3g.we also have to pay more for the wimax device...

When you calculate the cost it is almost the same. But the speeds are different. But the speed limit on 3G and EVDO technology is less than Wimax.

And also later on you can change to USB Wimax Dongle & roam around with it.

Back