BSNL error message : need help

eagle004

Disciple
I am unable to log on to the internet. I get the foll. message:-"
windows confirmed that "Primary DNS Server" is currently online but is not responding to connection attempts at this time.

This usually means that a firewall is running somewhere between the two computers and is blocking "domain". Windows has confirmed that Windows firewall on this computer is correctly configured to allow this connection.However a remote firewall might be blocking your connection. "

I am using windows vista and the firewall on my computer is configured correctly.The connection was working fine till yesterday night but i have been getting the above mentioned message since today morning.

Anyone got any idea what this means and whether it's because of bsnl or because my network connection isn't configured correctly?? has anyone got any similar errors??

How do you check that ?? -- my modem is ZTE ZXDSL 831A.

Also what to do if it has one ??

Also does anyone have any idea abt. the ideal network settings for vista ?? Also what should be the type of broadband /network connection-----should we set it to private or public ??

Try to reset the modem.. There should be small reset button on back of Modem.. It will reset settings...

Try to reset the modem.. There should be small reset button on back of Modem..

Done that several times. Doesn't work.
But there is a small hole at the back of the modem where you can insert a pin and reset everything.Should i try that??

try using Opendns, sometimes bsnl's DNS servers do not respond

What DNS nos. to enter for bsnl?? Any links would be helpful

Also is it possible that all this problem is because of vista??

Okay i did that.Still no use.

Okay, in the advanced TCP/IP settings can someone tell me what the netbios settings should be ??

Also should the network be set to a private network or public network(network and sharing center in vista) ??

How exactly are you you connecting to the Net? Using dial up or always-on settings? In case it's dialup, there should be no settings u need to enter. If always on thru modem configuration, u can check this LINK for settings to be applied in ur system. Coudn't find settings for ur modem though. Even then, it should give u an idea about the settings to be used...

eagle004 said:
Okay i did that.Still no use.

Okay, in the advanced TCP/IP settings can someone tell me what the netbios settings should be ??

Also should the network be set to a private network or public network(network and sharing center in vista) ??

netbios is not needed

I am using is dialup. I mean the modem is set to PPPoE dailing

In case it's dialup, there should be no settings u need to enter

I don't understand.What exactly do you mean by " there should be no settings u need to enter". if there is no settings then how do you connect to the internet ??

If it is set under pppoe mode(have u entered your user ID and password in the modem configuration page itself?), then modem software automatically connects you. if its under bridge mode and you are using windows dialling feature or raspppoe for connecting, then you are required to dial whenever you want to and disconnect as you wish. in this scenario, you can create scheduling tasks for connection(useful for time-bound connections or NU). for dial-up mode, you need to set up windows IP address and DNS addresses in the dialer configuration itself.

are you still getting the same error even after entering OpenDNS DNS addressess?

If it is set .......

Oh i see!!

have u entered your user ID and password in the modem configuration page itself?
you mean this page--- http://192.168.1.1/advan_menu1.html

If it is set under pppoe mode(have u entered your user ID and password in the modem configuration page itself?), then modem software automatically connects you

Does that mean it connects you when start your Pc or does it automatically connect you when you open internet explorer?? Also what abt. torrent software like azuerus??Does it connect automatically to that as well??

if its under bridge mode and you are using windows dialling feature or raspppoe for connecting, then you are required to dial whenever you want to and disconnect as you wish. in this scenario, you can create scheduling tasks for connection(useful for time-bound connections or NU). for dial-up mode, you need to set up windows IP address and DNS addresses in the dialer configuration itself.

ya i think it's currently under bridge mode.i mean i have to go to network center and use the dialer everytime i connect to the net. Actually i didn't set up the connection. the guys from bsnl did that.

So, sorry for the above post where i thought the modem was set to the modem is set to PPPoE dailing. Thing is i am a complete noob when it comes to network connections and internet stuff.This is the first time i am using bsnl.Sorry for that!!

if its under bridge mode ....... in this scenario, you can create scheduling tasks for connection(useful for time-bound connections or NU).

i am having 900 ul plan. So i guess there is no use for bridge mode for me. So can you tell me how to set it to pppoe mode ?? Also in pppoe mode if i get disconnected from the net due to line drop or something, will i get automatically reconncted.this is important since i download a lot and don't want torrents to stop working due to random disconnects.

here are some addl. info. abt my setup:-

output of ipconfig ??

Ip address:- 192 .168 . 1 . 4
Subnet mask:- 255 . 255 . 255 . 0
default gateway:- 192 . 168 . 1 . 1

preferred DNS server:- 218 . 248 . 255 . 145
Alternate DNS server:-218 . 248 . 255 . 193

(also tried DNS server addresses: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220---effect still the same)

My modem is ZTE ZXDSL 831AII

these are in my LAN area connection properties. In the broadband connection properties ,it is set to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server adddress automatically"

here are addl. info :-
Overview of Device Information
Equipment Vendor ZTE
Model No ZXDSL 831AII
Chipset Part No ZXDSL 831AIIV1.0.1i_D18_IN
Chipset Version No E.37.7.37
ADSL Port Enabled Downstream Line Rate 2045 kbps
Upstream Line Rate 510 kbps
LAN IP Address 192.168.1.1
Default Gateway not currently set
Primary DNS Server not currently set
Secondary DNS Server not currently set
Firmware Version ZXDSL 831AIIV1.0.1i_D18_IN
MAC Address 00:15:EB:BE:33:6B
System Up Time 01:35:31s

Local Network Configuration
IP Address
LAN side IP Address Settings
Primary IP Address: Enter here the IP address of your Router. This is the address visible from the computers on your network.
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Host Name: MyDslModem
Domain Name: local.lan
Secondary IP Address Configure secondary IP address and subnet mask
IP Address: -------
Subnet Mask:-------
MTU: 1500
------/-------
DHCP Server Settings: Enabling DHCP Server on LAN interface can provide the proper IP address settings to your computer.
DHCP Server On
Start IP: 192.168.1.2
End IP: 192.168.1.21
Lease Time: 1 days

Internet Connection Configuration
ADSL
ADSL Configuration
ADSL Port: enable/disable --- checked
Select the support of line mode: none
Select the Power Management mode: L2L3 allowed
DSL with DELT: not checked
Bitswap (DownStream): checked
Bitswap (UpStream): checked

Internet Connection

PVC Name ---------bridge_0_32

VPI/VCI ------------0/32

Category ---UBR

Protocol ---RFC1483-Bridged
LlcBridged

NAT -----off

WAN IP Address -

I don't know if these nos. mean anything.

Naga said:
u can check this LINK for settings to be applied in ur system. Coudn't find settings for ur modem though. Even then, it should give u an idea about the settings to be used...
Go to the link given and download the instructions given there. Even if there are no settings for ur specific model, u'll at least get an idea about what fields u need to fill in on your on modem and LAN settings.

okay now i remember.the first time bsnl guys showed up they entered my user ID and password in the modem configuration page .Since there was a problem with the network at that time , they couldn't connect to the net. they i called up bsnl again and this time a new guy showed up.he fixed the network and then he created a new internet connection(by typing in my username and password ) using the "setup a connection" option in the network and sharing center of vista.He then entered the IP address,default gateway, preferred DNS server,etc,etc in the TCP/Ipv4 of the local area network.

Now when i click on internet explorer or azuerus, i get a dialer that connects me to the internet. I can also connect if i goto the network and click on connect to bsnl broadband (pppoe).

And when i connect, my network sharing center shows two connections;-
Broadband--local and internet
network --- local and internet.

In the broadband properties tab, settings are either blank or set to detect automatically. in the network properties tab , the bsnl guy entered all the Ip adddress and everything like i said earlier.

So could you pls. tell me whether it's set under pppoe mode or windows dialing mode ?? And how to change to pppoe mode ??

Back