Bought MHI 1.1T 5 star! Updated with PIcs!! More Pics on Pg 3

Which AC, given size constraint, should I decide on based on lowest cost of operation?

• Other lower star, lower tonnage?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hello all,

After lots of savings it is summer time and time to splurge on an AC. Before I get to the actual point let me explain the predicament of my room (~130 sq ft).
There's a beam and a wall between which the AC needs to go. The space between the two is exactly 38 inches. So all the 1000mm and up (wide) models are out. Any other place is not going to be convenient for cable to ODU etc.

This location constraint leaves me with 2 (as i see it) alternatives.
1. Settle for a smaller IDU 1 ton models (most of which are 34 inches wide) OR
2. go for the Panasonic 1.5 ton compact (inverter) model YS18PKY which costs ~50k without installation.
I then came across this Hitachi in which I liked the following:
Specs
- one of the rare non inverter models to offer R410a refrigerant (unless i've not been searching correctly)
- 1.2 tons (13800 btu/hr) cooling capacity [which is a big advantage over 1 ton models, in the same IDU size]
- 3.80 COP!
My running is going to be 5-6 hours in the day say (10 am to 4 pm) and not at all during the night (this is for my work room) and only during the summer (4 months max)
I had almost finalised this when I came across lots of negative reviews about Hitachi ASS on mouthshut (yeah not the best source, but still!) and many complaining about poor build quality (external louvre related).

Anyone out there with Hitachi ACs I'd really appreciate your experience. I want to be sure about forking out 45 grand on a reliable and efficient product.
I would also love to hear suggestions about any alternatives for my room (budget not exceeding 45 k WITH installation) I have no brand preference as such but want hassle free service and the math to work out for my usage.

Eager to hear your inputs!

Where do you live? Prices seem kinda high. 45k for a 1T non inverter is not worth it. You should be able to get a 1T inverter for ~35k. COPs for inverters under low loads can go as high as 7.

A 1T could do for your room depending on factors like ambient temperatures in your area, whether there are a lot of windows/sunlight, whether you're on the top floor, etc.

Thanks for your response..
My room does have a lot of direct sunlight since it is east facing. I'm from Pune and temps go 36-40 degC in Summer during the day.
I haven't got an actual quote for it but the hitachi online price is 40k and i'm assuming at least 3-4k for installation, extra wiring, electrical modifications (extra trip, and 15 amp point) etc. Final cost after bargaining will be lesser,I suppose.
Given my running per year I was wondering if an inverter is financially viable. how much max cooling does a 1T inverter give, in any case?

OKay, after a bit of minimal digging up, I find that even in 1T inverters, Hitachi Ace inverter gives a staggering max cooling of 14330 Btu/hr and a rated cooling of 12900 btu/hr with a COP of (3.75 - 4.15) which I find impressive.
This is more than Sharp 1T inverters and Daikin 1T (cooling only) inverters. Daikin doesn't even offer R410a in any of their cooling only ACs acc to their website!

Any other 1T inverter ACs that are similar? I need to make the purchase within the week. As I said before, size of IDU is non-negotiable. Within that the best cooling/price/running cost ratio wins. Inverter or 5 star or otherwise.

SUggestions are welcome..

Daikin uses some R32 or something as an alternative in inverter models, its something akin to R410a if not better, experts can say something here...but generally Daikin ones rock specially if it is for Office kind of puropose, solid built IDUs and quite silent too.

Some reports say that R32 is an inflammable gas. Some say that the chances of combustion are very low. But I steered clear of Daikin because of this.

According some posts in these forums, R-32 is just a re hash (marketing gimmick) of R 22 and is not as advanced as R410a.
other than that.. any leads about ACs guys? Seems like Hitachi ACE (inverter or without) is the way to go.. given the high COP and Cooling capacity as compared to other brands?

Where do you live? Prices seem kinda high. 45k for a 1T non inverter is not worth it. You should be able to get a 1T inverter for ~35k. COPs for inverters under low loads can go as high as 7.

A 1T could do for your room depending on factors like ambient temperatures in your area, whether there are a lot of windows/sunlight, whether you're on the top floor, etc.

Could you please direct me to the spec sheet of such an AC? 1T COP (even max rating) 7?! I'd like to check it out...

http://www.mitsubishielectric.com.sg/images/stories/20090925155220_00001.jpg
50% load COP : 1.265 / 0.18 = 7.02
Should go even higher at <50% loads, but anyway the point is efficiency for inverter ACs shoots up significantly at lower loads. Inverters can speed up a bit over their rated specs to cool down the room quicker, but its not intended as a substitute for a higher capacity unit and COP is usually worse at these higher speeds.

R32 is flammable. R410a is a mix of R32 and something else to reduce flammability. R32 has a lower global warming potential than R410a. Daikin has R410a a/cs that can be used for both cooling + heating, its no different than the cooling only units.

Hi... so i've decided to buy two ACs (receiving 10% off on MRP) and will update with pics as installation happens.
Before i place the order i'd just like your help with these calculations:
The MHI inverter 1T AC consumes lesser minimum input power (190 watts) but draws higher minimum current in Amps (at minimum capacity)(3.6A)
Whereas the Hitachi Ace Inverter 1T has higher minimum input power in Watts (410W) but draws only a minimum of 1.88 Amps (at minimum capacity)
The prices of both are similar (1.5k difference in final quote) But I'd be at ease knowing which will have lesser final impact on Elec bill. Unit cost in pune is Rs 5 to 5.5.
I'd really appreciate some quick help with this, @Crazy_Eddy
The spec sheets for the two models
Hitachi 1.0T Ace Inverter and MHI 1T Inverter

Thanks in advance for your help! Rep/Likes for all helpers! :D

If the difference between the 2 is only 1.5k, I'd lean towards the MHI.

That current spec doesn't make sense for the MHI 1T. If you can find any other links to specs, it would shed some light on what they're trying to indicate. Not sure what 4.0/3.8/3.6 is supposed to indicate but its not the min cooling current draw. Power and Current are related. 190W should be ~1A. Looking at the power figures alone which appear accurate, indicates that the MHI can idle to lower values. The cooling capacity in watts for the MHI also goes down to 0.9KW, while the Hitachi can only go down to 1.7KW.

Of course this is all hypothetical, since you will be using it during the day in a bright sunny room and hence there's a possibility your AC might not idle that low.

Thanks for your help on this one..
I agree that the 190W min rating should be ~1A. The given ratings seem inconsistent. But even the spec sheet fwded to me by the MHI rep is the same pdf. The MHI is cheaper by around 1.5k I meant. Final quote of 41.3k for the 1T inverter whereas the online price of the Hitachi I found was around 44k (assume dealer would give for 43) hence said diff is 1.5k.
Could you also shed some light on how you reasoned the power figures to be accurate? Either the W fig is accurate which makes the A figure inconsistent, or vice versa!

Also, any specific reason for leaning towards the MHI?

Thanks again.. all this is helping me inch closer to a buy (i might buy 2)..
Will then update this into a mega install build up thread :D

The current specs are not inaccurate, I'm just not sure what the 3 values mean. Its not the min value since the margin between them is too low. Even the 1.5T has a range from 7A to 6A, and only a 1A drop is impossible for an inverter.

The MHI units are built pretty well, much better than the Hitachi hence makes sense leaning towards it.

I have seem some AC manufactures put the average consumption for inverter type A.C which could be that 3.6A(792W to 828W in 220v to 230v) which is very much in the range for a 1ton inverter AC..

Thanks everyone for all your inputs. I've booked the AC today and the installation will take place tomorrow.
I'm EXCITED :happy:
Will post detailed pics of the install and the veterans here can comment on whether it's better/worse/different than other installs they've seen.
Stay tuned for tomorrow. (if MHI is true to their word)[DOUBLEPOST=1397654990][/DOUBLEPOST]So the ACs have been delivered. Placed Order at 2 30 pm. Received AC at 6 pm. Pic to follow.

Last edited:
Here are a few installation pictures..
AC view 1.jpg

AC view 1.jpg AC view 2.jpg DSCF6032.JPG DSCF6038.JPG DSCF6040.JPG DSCF6042.JPG DSCF6044.JPG

I'm still without a plug and socket. Waiting for the electrician to come. Yesterday couldn't get one to come because of Election holiday in Pune. So still haven't experienced it's 'heavy duty cooling' :|

All these are pictures of the AC installed in my grandparents' room. Will upload pics of remote and install in my room soon..

Comments welcome :)

A few of my own observations:
  1. that 'ac waterproof tape' from another sharp installation on TE that I saw was given only on the inside for 'aesthetic purposes'. He said the rubber/foam like insulation on outside is enough. No extra charge
  2. Generally it is said that around 6 inches from ceiling is necessary for IDU install. The install guy said 3 inches are more than sufficient.
  3. Full insulation of Cu wire. (no naked inches on the outside, like a few other installs i've seen)
  4. Guy did not bring a drill small enough to attach the remote stand. Said get it done when the electrician comes :\
  5. No vacuuming of Cu pipes! He claimed they do it only for R410A machines, for R22 machines only that 'little bit of gas' technique clears the pipe of excess air.
  6. Charged me 200 bucks for the drain pipe!!!

Attachments

• DSCF6045.JPG
    DSCF6045.JPG
    370.4 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
I am also surprised with the 5 Star rating sticker on this AC. Because if I am not wrong, only split ACs with 3.5 or more EER are 5 Star. Current rating shows as 3.38 which would mean its a 4 Star rated AC. or the AC might have been manufactured before Jan 2014 so it might be from old stock too.

All the 2014 star ratings are mentioned in green and not red background. This is last years 5 star AC which = 4 star from 2014-2015.

Back